@Wrench, if you're out there, can you tell me why it isn't a good idea to turn the modernized Eastern Med map into a NavalMap?  Will it just not work very well?  Not casting aspersion on your skill at mapmaking, just genuinely wanted to know before I attempt something.

How odd that mine is.....

[Terrain]
TerrainFullName=Eastern Mediterranean
DataFile=NAfrica_data.INI
TargetFile=NAfrica_targets.INI
TargetTypeFile=NAfrica_TYPES.INI
MovementFile=NAfrica_movement.INI
NationsFile=NAfrica_nations.INI
BriefingText=NAfrica_briefing.INI
DogfightFile=NAfrica_dogfight.INI
DogfightOnly=FALSE
LimitedNations=TRUE
WaterMap=NAfrica_Water.bmp
CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat
//CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat
//CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.cat
Longitude=22.0    
Latitude=32.0
NavalMap=TRUE

I do remember there being issues with the "ships that sail over land and see" * but, you can try.  I've attached the _water bmp (still in bmp format for you

I haven't flown on it for a while, so ....

*Elric reference

NAfrica_Water.bmp

That water bitmap is totally wrong, Wrench.

It needs to be an 8 bit bitmap, 512x512 resolution. Here's a brand new one which should work properly: NAfrica_Water.bmp

@PFunk generally, terrains with very little water areas (such as my Iraq terrains) have no working water bitmaps; the assigned fleet zones (green for Blue Side, yellow for Red Side), when too small, are totally disregarded by the game engine. The above water bitmap should have big enough areas, thus it should work properly. Water bitmaps must be 256 colour, 512x512 resolution and 257kb in size, otherwise the game engine will totally disregard them; most painting softwares save them with slightly different sizes (256kb or 258kb) and this must not happen. I suggest the simple Paint by Microsoft for saving such files.

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 1

I tried doing one in paint, but haven't got a clue on to work it!! Can't even get it to "save" to CV zone colors, or ...well, just can't figure out how it work!! (sad face)

@Wrench It's actually easy, I try to explain my steps.

First of all, I use TFDtool to generate the terrain's water bitmap. Then, I edit it in a painting software (be it PS or GIMP, does not matter); I take the green and yellow colours from the extracted water bitmap of the IcelandNA terrain. You surely know those steps, but next one is important; once editing is done, I open both my water bitmap and IcelandNA's one in Paint. I simply copy my water bitmap over IcelandNA's one. This way, when I save it, Paint keeps the same file properties and file size of a proper SF2 water bitmap.

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 2

As Gru would say...

LIGHT BULB!!!!

:biggrin:

• Haha 2

Thanks, guys.  'Preciate it.

Hey, Kev.  Hope everyone with you in your direction is doing well.  Keep safe.

thanks brudda! Just getting wet (damn rain!) maybe it'll wash the coronavirus away!!! :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

Just getting wet (damn rain!) maybe it'll wash the coronavirus away!!! :lol:

I just heard the news about California...

Jokes aside, it's hot temperatures that will most likely wash the virus away, so we gotta wait until Summer. You guys don't want to be in my country right now...

I hope the US takes this matter seriously, it's not to be underestimated at all. The virus is silent, it shows symptoms only after a mean of 5 days. Cases surge exponentially, so containment and lockdowns are necessary. Our European neighbors are sleeping. In a matter of said five days, I fear they'll be in bigger trouble than my country's.

Stay safe, people!

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Menrva said:

I just heard the news about California...

Jokes aside, it's hot temperatures that will most likely wash the virus away, so we gotta wait until Summer. You guys don't want to be in my country right now...

I hope the US takes this matter seriously, it's not to be underestimated at all. The virus is silent, it shows symptoms only after a mean of 5 days. Cases surge exponentially, so containment and lockdowns are necessary. Our European neighbors are sleeping. In a matter of said five days, I fear they'll be in bigger trouble than my country's.

Stay safe, people!

Thanks Menrva.  Just to reassure you and everybody else here that my people are locking down everything here in Washington State.  First requesting businesses work remotely, then all big events like sporting events & auto shows closed down, and now the schools.

It's hard to do, but a lot easier when we see what's happening in Italy.  It's either this or Italia for republican democracies, I tell ya.

At least I just got off a couple hour agos a big RealWorld response to a lawfare crisis around OLF Coupeville for the good guys.  It'll be public by Tuesday.  So I can finally tend to my flightsim hobby... says someone who might have a bit of a fever who decided 11/2019 was the time to start taking flu shots.

• Like 1

Actually, EVERYBODY try and stay safe!  I know Italy got hit hard, and here in LA (and I'm sure up north for JosefK is) the lunatics are out in force buy up everything that isn't nailed down, and a few things that are.

So, again, you all keep it clean and stay safe. 

• Like 1

Its like Reds under The Beds all again.....people here going mad buying up toilet rolls...what did they do before I wonder...didnt they buy it before ?....

no football...no rugby...country gone nuts....can understand international shutdown but come on football games too?  

maybe the mayans did a typo and it wasnt 2012  but 2021  ?...recall the bible...The meek shall inherit the world ?   virus could be looked as a meek organism...

2 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

no football...no rugby...country gone nuts....can understand international shutdown but come on football games too?  

Believe me, it's necessary. Here in Italy some football players got the virus, matches should have been avoided long ago, but when the decision was taken, it was already too late. ICUs are pretty much full here. Soon doctors will have to decide who to try to cure and save, and who to leave to die. I don't think this is a situation you would like your loved ones to be in. I'm no believer, but I am actually starting to pray.

About those who go on a buying spree (whom Wrench rightly defines lunatics), I am not surprised. There's no limit to human stupidity.

• Like 1