Wrench

The Corona Virus Thread

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had it in early October.  Got over it in about a week, maybe a little less.

Meanwhile in Idaho... and I'm supporting a friend + airshow fan - thankfully not a politician - in the thick of this mess.

• Sad 1

The imposition of a mask is not oppression. We're losing a town the size of Parma Idaho every day on average in America, yesterday alone 3,053 people died. The mask mob mafia are misguided and they should be ashamed of how they are acting. Do unto others..., I am my brother's keeper, Be kind, Be best; all out the window like the baby with the bath water. Today in America you're more likely to die from a health condition that pre-pandemic you would have survived only because these non-maskers, non-believers are now plugging and over burdening our healthcare systems. Emergency Departments and Intensive Care Units are filled throughout the United States to capacity and these guys literally are acting like a 5 year old that won't eat their vegetables. Since the days of Adam and Eve being tossed from the garden more than 99% of us leave our house every day with clothes on, it's a societal norm. A mask is a societal norm during a time of a worldwide pandemic, nothing more. Just like you wear a coat in the winter and shorts in the summer we wear a mask in a pandemic, no big deal. This mob of people who sat in their comfy chairs with disdain in their hearts watching Fox News criticizing the BLM protests as an unruly mob have turned into what they themselves loathed. BLM protested the death of black men and women at the hands of police. The mask mob mafia is protesting wearing a piece of cloth over your face. If it was found that wearing a mask hurt you or injured you it's possible I might have a little bit of compassion for this fight but the simple facts are masks do not harm people. So apparently we've turned into a nation of fragile and selfish people that can't be imposed upon even for the good of the nation but instead want to feign oppression where there is none. Their actions are suspect and they need to grow the fuck up.

• Like 8

All this idoicy just pisses me off. I mean, seriously, I just want to wade into some of the fucks with machine guns and swords. The human gene pool needs a good flushing.

Last night, our city health director broke down in tears giving the most recent death toll and infection count here in Los Angeles

https://news.yahoo.com/la-county-deaths-milestone-leaves-003021467.html

It all makes me wonder if our civilization is worth saving ... just let it all fall and let the cockroaches start over.

Einstein was right, in his statement on human stupidity.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Wrench said:

It's horrific, I agree with you. The people who say they love this country the most, serve in our military, wear a badge, hold high offices in government, hug flags, fly flags in the back trucks are the most detrimental to human life and to our country. It's disgusting.

• Like 1

My doctor and I talked about it during my yearly checkup. He is frustrated, would like to drag the idiots into the ICU in full PPE to force them to see what is going on. He said he had a 90 year old woman call the current generation pussy's. If everyone would have just worn masks and stayed home except for absolute necessities this would have all been over in six months.

Right now my county has become a hot spot with our infection and death rate spiking. I have barely been out of the house in months.

• Like 3

Well, as some of you may have seen on the news, things in California, expecially SoCal, have gotten much worse.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/los-angeles-mayor-countywide-emergency-042215116.html

as of this morning (or was it Friday?) 11 SoCal counties are at 0% remaining ICU capacity. 

Will this fucking shit never end???

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Wrench said:

Well ...

It's not a surprise that things have progressively gotten worse and will continue to get worse. What is a surprise is that some people heard and believed the warnings while others did not which allowed and often encouraged them to act against their own health and welfare. The issue has never been the quantitative numbers of illnesses versus deaths but instead at what point do we overwhelm our health system so much so that preventable deaths become deaths due to capacity not the virus. We have always known that the finite numbers are those of the ICU beds and medical professionals but only some of us listened and believed those warnings. Now the tough decisions start and someone has to decide who lives and who dies because of capacity and staff, it's absurd we're so hard headed that we'd do this to ourselves yet we did. Wake up folks, together we rise or together we fall, no man is an island in a pandemic.

The adage "remove all the warning labels and let the problems sort itself out" is exactly how we were led through the pandemic so it's obvious to some that this is what the outcome would be. Your health is fragile and if you want to remain healthy consider everyone contagious until proven otherwise, wear a mask, wash your hands, socially distance, avoid crowded places especially enclosed locations, and remain vigilant about your hygiene. I pray we all make it out of this alive but the numbers and law of averages are working against us at this point because some of us never understood the risks of becoming sick or even a carrier in this pandemic. Your sickness may not kill you but it could kill or severely affect the lives of others you spread it to.

If you haven't heard in the UK they have discovered a variant of COVID19. The virus is mutating becoming a better virus which they believe may have a higher infection rate. That's what forced some parts of the UK into an earlier quarantine yesterday. It's unknown if the mutation posses any additional risks or is resistant to the vaccine only time will tell.

My holiday wish for everyone this year is for health and the day we can look back on this time and say we survived it. Be kind to all and remember there are people suffering with loss, sickness, income shortages, evictions, and food insecurity to name a few. Go out of your way to help and be kind when and if you can, America needs us.

E

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes they had to invent a new Tier 4 a few days ago for London and the surrounding area which is where I am..........I wasn't going to see anybody at Xmas anyway (which seemed the obvious thing to do) but Xmas is now officially cancelled outside of VC apps like Skype and Zoom for all in Tier 4.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MigBuster said:

Yes they had to invent a new Tier 4 ...

Sorry to hear that MB, glad you and the family are safe and trying to stay that way. I'm in the same boat excluding the LVL 4 containment. We'd love love to see the rest of the family but the risks are just too high so we're snuggling in over the holidays. Planning on burning lots of firewood, smoking some jerky, making some red chili and pork / beef tamales, and drinking as much Scotch as I can get away with without getting into trouble. :smile: 

• Like 1

Same here Erik. It is just going to be my mother and I. Normally we have a full house of aunts, uncles and cousins. In my county we have had 1,298 cases and 52 deaths out of a population of 43,114. I wish people would pull there heads out of their asses and recognize that viruses do not have party affiliation.

Talking about crazy, our local Big Boy restaurant has been refusing to comply with state orders banning inside service and has lost their franchise plus racked up $20,000 in fines. The Sheriff may be locking the the door up as a court order was pending when last week's paper was published. I am going to check on it in this week's paper.

19 hours ago, Wrench said:

Well, as some of you may have seen on the news, things in California, expecially SoCal, have gotten much worse.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/los-angeles-mayor-countywide-emergency-042215116.html

as of this morning (or was it Friday?) 11 SoCal counties are at 0% remaining ICU capacity. 

Will this fucking shit never end???

At this point, President Biden at 12:05 PM, 20 January had better activate the National Defense Production Act and get those vaccines cranking out... for all we know this is the People's Republic of China's great gamble to handicap America to take Taiwan and turn Southwest Asia into its own lake.  I'm not exactly convinced the PRC is 0% complicit.

1 hour ago, KJakker said:

Same here Erik ...

Not Bob's Big Boy! I love their Big Boy and shake combination have since a kid old enough to eat one but their are very few of them left and certainly none of them close by. I don't understand the political gain and position of the President. It seems, as was proven, his position was/is a lose/lose. It's just baffling and it's not like we didn't have an example of what happens when our hospitals reach capacity we flipping watch Italy go through it first hand in the first wave. These idiots in DC are guilty of failing to protect our nation, their number one job.

E

• Thanks 1

These idiots in DC are guilty of failing to protect our nation, their number one job.

100% agree. It seems all levels of govt dropped the ball. From the top down.

I'm actually starting to wonder if/when nation-wide martial law will be declared. shut down ALL unecessary inter-state and international travel (ie: airlines). Breaking up of illegal gatherings (lots of those with masses of unmasked and un-distanced morons going on here in SoCal --re: Kurt Cameron), placing said participants in a holding facility (of some kind -- an empty warehouse?-- lock them in and wait. 

It really saddens me, and I should have know better; 2.5 million years of primate evolution has led to ... us. Not enough sense to come in out the plague.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Erik said:

If you haven't heard in the UK they have discovered a variant of COVID19. The virus is mutating becoming a better virus which they believe may have a higher infection rate. That's what forced some parts of the UK into an earlier quarantine yesterday. It's unknown if the mutation posses any additional risks or is resistant to the vaccine only time will tell.

UK is starting to look like "28 Days Later" - pretty much everyone already has or soon will sever air links, Euro-Tunnel is closed and France has closed its channel ports to UK traffic.

As with most things C-19 related its looking like too little too late, the new strain has been known since September and has already been detected in Italy. Only a single known case there last I heard but its the unknowns we need to worry about, who knows how many more are out there or where. If it's made it as far as Italy it stands to reason it could easily be present everywhere in between and beyond.

From what is known so far the new strain isn't any more dangerous on an individual case basis but is far more transmissible.

• Like 1

Time to invest in MOPP gear, maybe????

---

in other breaking news, the Kilauea volcano has decieded to wake up again. Still waiting for the asteroid....( ala "Greenland")

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fallenphoenix1986 said:

UK is starting to look like "28 Days Later" ...

It's stupidity to respond in fear when we know viruses mutate and adapt over time, that's what they and all life bleeding do. There is three strains in the US all mutations of the original and every host Covid infects then gets passed on from Covid will learn from and adapt. Why insight panic when it's the same boogie man wearing a different costume, it makes no sense. The UK will be fine even if we have to air drop in supplies, we'll figure out a way. I suspect however before the weeks out the port closures will change to more suitably match the risk. We've had one shock and awe, and one was enough for any lifetime.

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

Still waiting for the asteroid....( ala "Greenland")

Now if it happens we're all going to know you jinxed us. You can't mess with 2020 like that even though there's only 10 days left she can still pull out the big guns. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wrench said:

in other breaking news, the Kilauea volcano has decieded to wake up again. Still waiting for the asteroid....( ala "Greenland")

Last night, an earthquake hit my region. Nothing serious fortunately, but I woke up much frightened, since I still have bad memories of the devastating earthquakes of 2017 that happened here. Oh, and even Milan was hit by an earthquake recently, and it's very unusual over there. Let's be vigilant, this year is not over yet.

The supermarket had not run out of Bacon or much else.......................so all is well in the world.

@Erik the new strain apparently spreads about 70% faster than the others which is what has thrown their modelling out of the wall and caused the Tier 4 thing and other countries putting on the ban stick.

I am now going to put my head back in the sand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MigBuster said:

The supermarket had not run out of Bacon or much else............

Science Magazine did a well written piece on Sunday and Time did another yesterday, both good reads. The problem to reacting the way we are to the UK is that it's too late. The scientists find and note mutations all the time, Coronavirus being the most thoroughly tracked virus ever, then the mutation is studied and watched until someone says look at this data. Then and finally then does the information leave the lab and get to someone who can make an alarming announcement that puts countries around the globe in fear mode but by then the virus has migrated to be found in countries outside the UK,  yet none of the blocks were on those countries. My point being is that back in July or September when the mutation was found if someone had said hey this is of notable concern and they reacted like this so it wouldn't escape the region, then kudos, but they did not. So really any reaction we make at this point in time is putting the road apples back in the horse.

Thank God the country wasn't out of bacon or tea. The resulting riots could have brought the UK back to anarchy.

Stay healthy.

E

• Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 2:08 PM, Wrench said:

Still waiting for the asteroid....( ala "Greenland")

Are you sure it is an asteroid we need to worry about and not a Monolith? Quick, what do the latest photos from Jupiter show.

• Haha 2

I work at the local drive-in Testing Unit (as a steward) and went 14 weeks without an issue but my luck ran out and I was sent home on Christmas Eve eventually testing positive on the 26th. The first few days were nightmarish and I've blanked them out. I turned a corner on New Years Day and my sense of smell/taste quickly returned. My health is so far behind where it was (I was cycling in and working an 11-hour day) and my employer (NHS) don't seem that bothered about me so I might just send in an email confirming my poor health and asking for support.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5