Trotski

Razbam and YAP models

I was just wondering, what peoples opinions are on models etc from both RAZBAM, and YAP , and are any of them worth getting....as in, well worth it, and what models and items should be avoided.at all cost.

I ask the question as I have never really looked into payware stuff other than "official" TW DLC , and I just had a look at Yankee Air Pirates site, and like the look of the helos on there, so I am interested in full and honest appraisals of kit from both these vendors, before I part with any of my hard earned dosh. 

This is a serious enquiry, and I would like to hear peoples thoughts and or experiences with stuff from either or both of these purveyors of aeronautical delights.

Back in the day, it was a different story with a different answer - today more efforts around brute force converting other helo models.  In my opinion, Jarek/Yakarov79 makes the best helos for this sim - period.  My recommendation would be enjoy the helo experience he delivers - he offers the full package from great mesh/optimized models, texturing, flight dynamics/physics, etc. and also has a great selection to choose from.    

Edited by swambast
  • Like 4

Don't think the Razbam stuff is for sale - and it certainly has not been supported for about 10 years. Most of the models were for SF1 and needed a bit of work.

YAP cant comment on the separate models but was good for the recreation of historical Vietnam missions really.

• Like 1

i've come acros a few YAP mods over the years while working other projects.

not too impressed, esp with the skins.  the saving grace for them is the items available that no one else has (ie F-100F, several helos)

i've toyed with getting some of the unavailable models. for about 6-7 years running now.

as was said RAZBAM is no longer sold. damn shame as it was top of the line, dont ever recall a complaint on them

• Like 1

Effectively about YAP... several interesting WW2 Pacific War mods but these need important ini. file (and skinning) rework in order to be played with SF2 !

Edited by Coupi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, swambast said:

Back in the day, it was a different story with a different answer - today more efforts around brute force converting other helo models.  In my opinion, Jarek/Yakarov79 makes the best helos for this sim - period.  My recommendation would be enjoy the helo experience he delivers - he offers the full package from great mesh/optimized models, texturing, flight dynamics/physics, etc. and also has a great selection to choose from.    

I do use Yakarovs stuff a lot, my main interest on the YAP site were the Skycrane for one, also the Sioux , as we only have the Craphead one floating around, also some of the marks of Huey are pretty interesting,  the Frog for example, though we have a pretty decent UH-1B ( although it maybe needs a rework of the skins, which I will hopefully get around to ) there are no Huey Hogs available Jolly greens , we have those and pretty damn good they are too !!  not looked at the aircraft themselves in too much detail as I have been looking at the helos more, however there do seem to be a few of interest, Shame about the Razbam stuff though, I read somewhere that the A6's were supposed to be pretty tasty, and I do actually have the Banshee, which I believe is a Razbam model. 

Anyhow please keep the comments rolling in, especially if you have or still do own any of the YAP stuff.

Unfortunately Razbam's models are no longer for sale and they broke their promise to deliver existing customers shadow-fixed LODs before closing their Strike Fighters "production line".

They were good for the era, but have almost all been replaced by either TK's or the community's alternatives, including for the pits, or have unfixed problems.

The Banshee is about the only thing we don't have a replacement for but it's kind of a niche plane.

YAP is a mixed bag, some aircrafts we already have, others are outdated, some are pretty fine. Unfortunately they're all to SF1 standard so might require some adaptation, plus most textures have everything baked in, making it not always that simple to reuse them for something not intended without some serious skinning work.

Some of the helos are interesting but we've been spoiled by Yakarov on that front already and it requires some work to get YAP's helos to his standard, but it's mostly the various ground objects, carriers and ships that can become very interesting.

Also, YAP's way of downloading files and handling updates is... let's say... primitive... which is fine, it's not their job, but it can get infuriating at time.

• Like 1

Skinning is not a massive issue for me, I have nothing but time, so if its a headscrachin' bum clenchin' problem, it may be worth my while, the helo's in particular though may be a problem if they need converting from SF1 standards, Crapuns choppers are a good case in point , where some of them, just dont want to work properly, the Seaknight in particular, where the wingmen, just refuse to take off and tool around in ever decreasing circles, like the fabled foo foo bird, unfortunately that side of modding is beyond my ken, and I would need some considerable help getting stuff to work, maybe some poor benighted soul would be able to assist in such an endeavour !!!  Applications on a post card please !! I think I may invest in these yap offerings, in some part at least, and scream for assistance as and when I fail miserably at getting the buggers to work.

The Banshee is sweet, by the way, 

The most useful parts of YAP are the aircraft carriers. They are very well done and many are not available any other way, or if there is a free one available, the free one is just plain ugly in comparison. Unfortunately, the carriers were designed to YAP / WOV specs, so they are not especially well suited to the updates provided by SF2:NA and they are generally divided into two models for each ship: one model for launching and one model for landing. This two model approach allows well placed objects on the carrier deck, which in pre-SF2NA days was the only way to populate the deck with aircraft. So launching, the cats are clear with aircraft blocking the landing, and the bow cats are usually blocked for the landing model. There are some mods floating around here at CombatAce for the YAP carriers to make them as SF2NA compliant as possible. So, if you love high poly, high resolution aircraft carriers from the Vietnam era, YAP is the way to go. They also have some more great carrier stuff in the separate 3d model shop for Korea and more modern carriers.

But I don't have anything after YAP2 came out, i.e. YAP3, Rising Sun, 3d model shop, etc. because I pissed off Zero Cinco (05), the owner of the YAP products when I strongly disagreed with his rant against TK/Third Wire for the changes made in the 2008 patch for the SF/WoX series and SF2, which broke some of the "features" of YAP (such as inflight refueling) that were exploiting bugs in the core code. I never got the final YAP2 patches nor the promised free upgrade to YAP3. So, I personally don't care for the company and wouldn't support them. But if you like what they have, there is nowhere else to go to get it.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your valuable input, I think I shall indeed purchase some of the helos, and possibly a couple of carriers, even though I am totally crap at landing on them,  it seems that purchasing any of the campaigns is maybe not that great an idea, but we shall see, I think I shall start with the skycrane and see from there, although the AH1Z ( which we dont have here, is also a possibility , so either the flight school or the weapons schools may be an option as well.

If it is not life or death issue. Hold on on those helos.

Have not seen skycrane..but Zulu Cobra is barely ok...(in my opinion)

I Can not promise anything.. when and how it will be released but Cobra saga will continue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hehehehe thought you MAY just have something in the pipeline eventually. I did have a thought though, all this discussion may be academic, as when the new win 10 version of SF comes out, there may be an issue with getting these things to work, I noticed there is a disclaimer on the downloads that these havent been tested in Win 10 , so i shall hold off for now methinks....Although, I really desire that there Skycrane.....oh and a decen Sioux....and...........dammit I'm like a kiddie in a sweetie store .....I may grow up one day hahahaha NOT !!! :biggrin:

My take on YAP products

- Out of the box can be pretty frustrating. Tried some Rising Sun missions. Then got mission accomplished when I was just taking off. Wondered what to do, could only find two enemy tanks on an island which I destroyed. Guess that stopped the invasion?

- Hinchinbrooke's ship models - They are pretty good. Some USN stuff is top notch, especially the Carriers and Battleships/Cruisers, some Destroyers. Sometimes though corners were cut on some vessels, or stand-in models were used. With all the little crew figures and no distance lods these carrier models are not framerate friendly. Also the deck crew is a problem for conversion to a general usage SF2NA carrier.

- Aircraft models in later releases are from Giuseppe Valfre (Which I understand to also go by the name of Bobrock here, and File404 at turbosquid). These are excellent. SF2 suitable poly count and details. Skins are good too. SFP1 A-team also works with his payware models. Look File404 up in turbosquid to see his work, his prices there are very reasonable.

• Like 2

Hmm very interesting, however $44 for a single model ? a bit rich for my blood no matter how pretty it may be

File404 at Turbosquid: It is priced well below similar offerings there. Also I think a lot of hours went into each model.

Maybe one can contact bobrock by PM here and purchase directly, to avoid Turbosquid royalties?

Edit: Turbosquid has some sale periods as well.

Edited by gerwin
  • Like 1

Well I shall bear it in mind, however, I'm not sure how I could utilise these models, as I am no model maker , I only do skins as I have no way of making models as i do not and cannot afford max, also as a skinner I pump loads of hours into my work ( all be it not up to the skill of modelling in 3d ) and get paid nowt.........however I see your point about relative prices.

Gerwin, that's all well and good but it's not as easy as just buying a model as you know - and didn't want others to get the idea that it's "buy and fly."  Someone needs to create all the animation slots, create the flight dynamics, update the textures, ensure the mesh pieces are linked/have proper hierarchy, perform the .ini/loadout work, etc.  Just want others reading this to be aware.   There is a lot of work to be done once a base mesh is finished - and for aircraft and carriers especially - I would argue getting the mesh done is by far the easiest part.  Please don't take my reply the wrong way, just trying to bring some transparency into the amount of effort that's needed before others go off and consider spending money on such things.  

Edited by swambast
  • Like 1

I for one am fully aware, however the models Gerwin mentioned are certainly worthy of consideration should someone with the facility to make a model, wish to do so, they ARE indeed nice models, however not quite what I require , or have the ability to utilise, I also hope Gerwin doesn't think I'm being dismissive, as I am not. The opposite in fact.

Edited by trotski00

I just mentioned Turbosquid File404 because it is a convenient way to actually see some aircraft models that are in YAP products.

Sure though; It is a lot of work either way: Both the modelling, texture mapping, skinning - then later configuring pivot points, aerodynamic wizardry, hardpoints, damage nodes, damage textures, distance lods etc. I can spare multiple $44 no problem. But stick to ground objects as nice bite-size hobby projects.

• Like 1

I thought I read a few years ago that The Razbam A-6 package was available From YAP with the USS Nimitz Bundle.  Any truth to that?

There is an A-6/EA-6 package that comes with the YAP Nimitz but different models, not the Razbam versions.