Since Russia or Europe cant offer a real successor for the MiG-21, the F-21 is the best choice for India, i think.

• Like 2

Well, THAT is interesting!!!

The problem is that India already has too many types of fighters in service. So, as I understand it, they are heavily in favor of buying more Dasault Rafale jets so they can get a better return on long term maintenance and supply.

• Like 1

I'd get more Rafales if I were them.  The F-21 is a nice jet but looks way too much like a Pakistani F-16... and in the merge with split-second decisions to be made may not end so well.

• Like 1

True, but see it from a strategic point of view. Under president Obama the USA politicians believed that Russia is the major threat for the US dominance of the world. But Trump realized, that China is the big enemy of tomorrow. Chinas influence has to hedged.

For India China is an opponent too. If it would come to a conflict between India and China the chinese influence on France could be so massive, that France would sell no more planes or spareparts to India. With the antagonism between USA and China, India can be sure that the USA would never to yield to the pressure of China. So the supply of weapons and spareparts would be safe for India.

• Like 2