13 minutes ago, yakarov79 said:

Yes. But still, switch with normal texture will still be flat mesh. And switch made as 3d mesh will be 3d mesh. And if you are saying that it shouldn't make a big difference then I prefer 3d mesh than bumped texture. 

Of course for a switch it won't work. Thats why I wrote "3D objects [that] are not that much extruded", e.g. screws, nuts, bolts, grooves, ...

14 minutes ago, yakarov79 said:

Yes. But still, switch with normal texture will still be flat mesh. And switch made as 3d mesh will be 3d mesh. And if you are saying that it shouldn't make a big difference then I prefer 3d mesh than bumped texture. 

Your GPU has another opinion. The whole point is that the approximation will be good enough that you won't be able to tell the difference, and you run cheaper, simpler geometry which performs better.

now we are talking about which one performs better or visual difference? 

Fly ravenclaw's F-4G and then stock F-4/C/D/B...and tell me that there is no visual difference in the cockpit. 

And then Ravenclaw just wasted time because he could just paint all stuff on texture instead of making meshes. All looks the same,  obviously for some. 

anyway.

@ ravenclaw - there is no sign of temptation to make backseat at all?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, yakarov79 said:

now we are talking about which one performs better or visual difference? 

Fly ravenclaw's F-4G and then stock F-4/C/D/B...and tell me that there is no visual difference in the cockpit. 

And then Ravenclaw just wasted time because he could just paint all stuff on texture instead of making meshes. All looks the same,  obviously for some. 

anyway.

@ ravenclaw - there is no sign of temptation to make backseat at all?

o yes i would like to make the rear cockpit but imagine how big this lod gets with front and rear cockpit in this detail , i have everyting that i need to make them and i was thinking about it many times and i will make them if somebody can tell me how to get this done with an acceptable lod size

or do you think the rear cockpit lod size would not count so much when flying from the front seat ??? but what if i´m sitting in the rear seat and look towards the front cockpit ???

4 minutes ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

or do you think the rear cockpit lod size would not count so much when flying from the front seat ??? but what if i´m sitting in the rear seat and look towards the front cockpit ???

In my twin-seat harrier after transferring to back seat - cockpit ini moves whole front panel (and some other nodes that are not really visible from the back seat) to the back behind back seat - so generally it is not in point of view from 2nd seat.  This is still a prototype mambo jambo..but in fact form back seat you are not seeing front panels...so move them out of POV.

how did you make that ???  animation in 3ds max or with a entry in the cockpit_ini , how do you switch from front to rear cockpit and vice versa , this are few of my questions to the back cockpit

what is the total lod size of this twin harrier cockpit

Edited by ravenclaw_007

30 minutes ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

what is the total lod size of this twin harrier cockpit

little below 7Mb.

switch to a position via hook indicator (or any of the empty/unused /not important indicator) and one animation in 3dmax. In fact you are not switching position in the cockpit - you are moving the whole cockpit to a different position as a point of view is defined in cockpit ini. 

my way in my two-position cockpits (Cobra, Loach, TAV-8)

Type=ARRESTING_HOOK_INDICATOR
MovementType=ANIMATION
AnimationID=10
AnimationTime=1.0
Set[01].Position=0.0
Set[01].Value=0
Set[02].Position=1.0
Set[02].Value=1

but can be also (if you have an empty animation slot in the external model) by adding and animating some hidden mesh in an external model. Then cockpit animation can be done as 

tornado-guuruu way

[Co_pilot]
Type=EXTERNAL_ANIMATION_LINK
NodeName=whatever you are moving -top mesh in a hierarchy. 
MovementType=ANIMATION
AnimationID=1 ?
ItemNumber=4 ?

ok , thanks , i got the idea but if your cockpit has about 7MB imagine if i have done it i will come to about 14 MB , that scares me a bit

maybe i will make a test cockpit and check what happens

What if you use a "Light" function, to turn off the unused part of the pit ? Light "Off" mesh is not rendered, isnt it ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

just in case you have the impression that this cockpits dont work properly or give you problems so that you can not fly on any terrain that is NOT the case this cockpits work ok with all terrains i have , except with the Anatolia terrain there you will have problems

i think it is better if you and everybody who likes to take a look at this cockpit try it for your self , let me know if you get problems that makes this aircraft with this cockpit unflyable for you or the FPS drops below of an acceptable level

F-4G.7z

please remove any aircraft or weapon with the same name as the ones in this pack , before you install this new ones , Dont Overwrite Existing Aircrafts

Hey I was going over this and noticed ServiceEndYear=1985.  But F-4Gs flew in the Persian Gulf War... and kept serving until 1996.  From WikiPedia:

On 15 August 1990, 24 F-4G Wild Weasel Vs and six RF-4Cs were deployed to Shaikh Isa AB, Bahrain, for Operation Desert Storm. The F-4G was the only aircraft in the USAF inventory equipped for the Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (SEAD) role, and was needed to protect coalition aircraft from Iraq's extensive air defense system. The RF-4C was the only aircraft equipped with the ultra-long-range KS-127 LOROP (long-range oblique photography) camera, and was used for a variety of reconnaissance missions. In spite of flying almost daily missions, only one RF-4C was lost in a fatal accident before the start of hostilities. One F-4G was lost when enemy fire damaged the fuel tanks and the aircraft ran out of fuel near a friendly airbase. The last USAF Phantoms, F-4G Wild Weasel Vs from 561st Fighter Squadron, were retired on 26 March 1996. The last operational flight of the F-4G Wild Weasel was from the 190th Fighter Squadron, Idaho Air National Guard, in April 1996.[69] The last operational USAF/ANG F-4 to land was flown by Maj Mike Webb and Maj Gary Leeder of the Idaho ANG.

Just asking....

Maybe Raven programmed to release some subversion as F-4F, F-4G_85,ecc...just my idea

3 hours ago, JosefK said:

Hey I was going over this and noticed ServiceEndYear=1985.  But F-4Gs flew in the Persian Gulf War... and kept serving until 1996.  From WikiPedia:

Just asking....

guys this F-4G i put up here for testing is the early version , i made a F-4G_85 , F-4G_89 and F-4G_89_SPW each with a own cockpit version and ther respective skins , i hope you dont expect me to put them here up for testing to , this F-4G i put up here is the one with the largest cockpit lod file that was the reason i put it up here for testing

i did not put up all the weapons i made for this aircraft and i did not put up the sound files and pilots i just put ab the pieces you you may need to test this cockpit , that was all i intended , if the testing here is ok i will finish this project and upload it in the Download Section

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

guys this F-4G i put up here for testing is the early version , i made a F-4G_85 , F-4G_89 and F-4G_89_SPW each with a own cockpit version and ther respective skins , i hope you dont expect me to put them here up for testing to , this F-4G i put up here is the one with the largest cockpit lod file that was the reason i put it up here for testing

i did not put up all the weapons i made for this aircraft and i did not put up the sound files and pilots i just put ab the pieces you you may need to test this cockpit , that was all i intended , if the testing here is ok i will finish this project and upload it in the Download Section

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ravenclaw_007 said:

As I've imagined some sub variants,great!

I can't wait to add these gems in NF5 or ODS!

Tried on anew terrain with tons of TOD's, I get a reduce in FPS over the most forested areas, but nothing that breaks the game, and the cockpit is just too amazing to downgrade it.

Thanks , i will make all missing items now and check if i can further reduce the polycount of this cockpits

On 4/21/2020 at 8:17 AM, Julhelm said:

Yes it can, you just don't know how to bake properly.

Show how its done and maybe we can all do it  ?...tutorials I found show you need low poly models...or is that just baking normals...?

Hello !

I've play with your beautiful F-4G. In my opinion the problem is not the cockpit.

This is more the game than your very highly detailed mod.

For example, I've tested with the mirror on/off and their impact on fps with my PC, around -20% after activation.

The game needs an overall optimization... for a long time !

Thanks a lot Ravenclaw_007 !!! :good:

5ee7b93ea5af5_MirrorPFSImpact.thumb.jpg.01ad14e3a92f74e783b9d0a62f735459.jpg

Edited by Coupi
  • Like 2

Thanks , i never have try that , but i notice a very pixelated view if i zoom in on a mirror

Not quite.  High-poly cockpits, using complex hierarchies, excessive individual mesh pieces and esp. those using multiple high res texture maps (meaning more GPU draw calls) absolutely impact performance - period.  Mirrors on/off has been known as one of the worst FPS impacts for a long time now.  A decent rule of thumb in my opinion for performance testing is never just test by taking the plane up on it's own and flying it around "empty space".  You need to test during the heat of battle with SAM launches, AAA flying around, etc. (assuming that's a standard scenario the aircraft would be used for) and another good test is approaching a fairly populated airbase and testing frame rates on approach and landing.   

• Like 7

On 21.04.2020 at 11:58 PM, Crusader said:

What if you use a "Light" function, to turn off the unused part of the pit ? Light "Off" mesh is not rendered, isnt it ?

Yup it's worth of try. Only 1 light that can work with it is image.png.120a8515d7a32778023a5cba410eb5f7.png

My dc3 and c117 pits were 4.5 mb and one im making now was 5.6 mb...guess why...

I tried exprt no decals and 5.6 mb is now 2.88

I assumed with decs gave better results...it does for a\c but not pits...

so not gonna use export with decs now lol

Edited by russouk2004

10 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

I assumed with decs gave better results...it does for a\c but not pits...

I wonder what difference exporting with/without decals really makes with cockpits..?

10 hours ago, sophocles said:

with/without decals really makes with cockpits..?

Doesn't matter for pits, I think. File is smaller so loading faster...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, guuruu said:

Doesn't matter for pits, I think. File is smaller so loading faster...

yea ..with decs does FA for pits except make them bigger in MB lol as I found out...latest pit with decs 5.80 mb...without  2.08

I think export with decs..."paints them om mesh so as to prevent bleed etc and allows dec to look less placed on rather than painted on actual a\c

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1