Hey, I own Strike Fighters 2 Flight Simulator I want to install new aircraft like the F-16 and F-35. The videos I have seen show an "EXE" and "INI" file. I don't have them. Also, I installed the game on a different drive named "G" rather than the o so common "C" drive. I read the Readme and the Knowledge Hub but the are unclear and/or again show those "EXE" and "INI" files. All the videos I have seen make a new standalone game and download a mod. I want to add an aircraft to the game, I don't know how to do it and if it works where I can select and play said aircraft. Please help me Idk if this is even going to be seen. 

first off, welcome to CombatAce and the SF2 community at large

as for the aircraft themselves, most modders esp. for SF2 package the mods so that you unzip the file, and then drop it into your mod folder. there are generally detailed instructions with most of the mods, and nobody has really used an exe for a mod in 9-10 years.

Start your game then exit (or fly a mission with stock aircraft, your choice). This will create a mod folder in your Win10 Saved Games folder. opening up it should look like this

5eb82ac1d6694_help2.thumb.jpg.9b9f306c7014fac19578a86266ec9db0.jpg

open your mod folder until you see a similar layout. the new to you, downloaded mod will at least have an objects folder, it may also have other folders like sounds, effects etc. cut or copy and paste from the download folder to your mod folder

this should put the new aircraft in game

as for the drive you operate from, take a look at the options.ini in your mod folder. this may be created automatically in your C drive (where Windows automatically c

Creates Saved Games folders), cut and paste to G if your wish.

help.thumb.jpg.24d06a7e15bbded695791f14f4ec1c8e.jpg

the highlighted file is the Options.ini. if you look at my preview on the right, the next to last "paragraph" that is titled [Mods] is what you will adjust. Make the Directory= (whatever drive you want):\Saved Games\Thirdwire\(your version of the game)

the first time opening an ini, you will want to choose to open it with notepad, a standard Windows tool.

not going to go into allowing overwrites at this time as your question specifies aircraft not stock in most versions.

i hope this helps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to the admins, modders and other old heads here

i actually went to the Knowledge Base with the intent of pointing and saying read

but when i looked at the topics and read through them, i realized that someone with extremely limited knowledge of computers may in fact have a hard time. there is no Barney style explanation of loading a basic mod to a basic vanilla install. closest it comes is how to add a 3d party bird when there's already a stock one. Given BasBoss's  question, i figured it was statistically unlikely they were trying to load a Netz mod.

we do often say "go look it up" but we often presume a certain level of computer savvy for anyone playing this game. the beauty of the sim is that you really dont need more than "i can turn it on and get on the internet" level of computer smarts to just fly it. you do need more to mod it at any level tho.

i know, long about 11 years ago i was on the Zoolander "the files are in the computer" level. still feel that way seeing some of you guys' work:lol:

• Like 5

if you're seeing exes, you're in the wrong spot. 

So, look for your mods folder, like DA just said

also, when describing issues and/or problems, you need to state if you're Win7 or Win10, as I know there's some differences as to mod folder locations, especially when one has installed to another drive.

and always, ALWAYS ALWAYS  read the install instructions, also known as the "read me" file

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wrench said:

and always, ALWAYS ALWAYS  read the install instructions, also known as the "read me" file

C'mon Mr Wrench sir, we are blokes, and we all know real blokes do NOT ever read instructions , for to do so would be un blokey, and far too logical , and we cant be having logic and common sense invading our  fav flight sim.....this is why no Females ( or blokettes ) post in here, as they are horribly Locical and ALWAYS read instructions and the like........a ghastly state of affairs if you ask me sir !! 

Yours truly Major Dennis Bloodnok OBE, MT, MT & MT. CMDR III Armoured Thunderboxes ( RET )  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow I didn't think I'd get a response thank you guys

Edited by BasBoss

2 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

first off, welcome to CombatAce and the SF2 community at large

as for the aircraft themselves, most modders esp. for SF2 package the mods so that you unzip the file, and then drop it into your mod folder. there are generally detailed instructions with most of the mods, and nobody has really used an exe for a mod in 9-10 years.

Start your game then exit (or fly a mission with stock aircraft, your choice). This will create a mod folder in your Win10 Saved Games folder. opening up it should look like this

5eb82ac1d6694_help2.thumb.jpg.9b9f306c7014fac19578a86266ec9db0.jpg

open your mod folder until you see a similar layout. the new to you, downloaded mod will at least have an objects folder, it may also have other folders like sounds, effects etc. cut or copy and paste from the download folder to your mod folder

this should put the new aircraft in game

as for the drive you operate from, take a look at the options.ini in your mod folder. this may be created automatically in your C drive (where Windows automatically c

Creates Saved Games folders), cut and paste to G if your wish.

help.thumb.jpg.24d06a7e15bbded695791f14f4ec1c8e.jpg

the highlighted file is the Options.ini. if you look at my preview on the right, the next to last "paragraph" that is titled [Mods] is what you will adjust. Make the Directory= (whatever drive you want):\Saved Games\Thirdwire\(your version of the game)

the first time opening an ini, you will want to choose to open it with notepad, a standard Windows tool.

not going to go into allowing overwrites at this time as your question specifies aircraft not stock in most versions.

i hope this helps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to the admins, modders and other old heads here

i actually went to the Knowledge Base with the intent of pointing and saying read

but when i looked at the topics and read through them, i realized that someone with extremely limited knowledge of computers may in fact have a hard time. there is no Barney style explanation of loading a basic mod to a basic vanilla install. closest it comes is how to add a 3d party bird when there's already a stock one. Given BasBoss's  question, i figured it was statistically unlikely they were trying to load a Netz mod.

we do often say "go look it up" but we often presume a certain level of computer savvy for anyone playing this game. the beauty of the sim is that you really dont need more than "i can turn it on and get on the internet" level of computer smarts to just fly it. you do need more to mod it at any level tho.

i know, long about 11 years ago i was on the Zoolander "the files are in the computer" level. still feel that way seeing some of you guys' work:lol:

I want to thank you. Your instructions are very clear and I think I have installed it correctly. Now I run into the problem that I don't know where I can select that aircraft. It doesn't show up anywhere and I am not 100% sure it works. Can somebody explain this to me?

when you ask questions, be as precise as you can with what you are asking. screenshots also help us to see what is going on

for the above, what aircraft is not showing up? what version of SF2 are you running, SF2, SF2Europe, SF2Vietnam etc? if more than one, include all versions you have.

without at least that info not much we can do to assist

25 minutes ago, BasBoss said:

I want to thank you. Your instructions are very clear and I think I have installed it correctly. Now I run into the problem that I don't know where I can select that aircraft. It doesn't show up anywhere and I am not 100% sure it works. Can somebody explain this to me?

On the main screen go to Single Mission, and then click on Player Aircraft Type to select your aircraft. From there you can specify (just click on the dropdown menus) other things like what type of mission you can fly with that aircraft. 

• Like 2

that is the generic answer. was waiting to see if he downloaded a F-16 that needed the TW lod into say a SF2 Europe install.....

Best I can say with limited information. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

when you ask questions, be as precise as you can with what you are asking. screenshots also help us to see what is going on

for the above, what aircraft is not showing up? what version of SF2 are you running, SF2, SF2Europe, SF2Vietnam etc? if more than one, include all versions you have.

without at least that info not much we can do to assist

All aircraft i have, which is only the F-16. I only have SF2 Flight Simulator. 

SF2 pic.jpgs is the F-16 i downloaded

Edited by BasBoss

1 hour ago, BasBoss said:

SF2 pic.jpgs is the F-16 i downloaded

Screenshot (1).png

What?

I never heard of this, usually you should get the game from http://www.thirdwire.com but right now it's preorder. I don't have your game so you're going to have to figure it out on your own as I play SF2 Complete edition

4 hours ago, BasBoss said:

That is not SF2.

It looks like a version of the original Strike Fighters: Project 1 from 2002 - 2004 time period. (Actually SFG.exe would signify Strike Fighters Gold from 2004)

That is why you have a totally different file structure and most recent mods (especially SF2) probably wont work with it because it is very old code.

While I am here

Strike Fighters Series 1 from 2002

• Strike Fighters Project 1
  • Strike Fighters Gold
  • Wings Over Vietnam
  • Wings Over Europe
  • Wings Over Israel (+ Expansion Pack)
  • First Eagles

Strike Fighters Series 2 from 2008

• Strike Fighters 2
  • Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam
  • Strike Fighters 2 Europe
  • Strike Fighters 2 Israel
  • Strike Fighters 2 North Atlantic
  • Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1
  • Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 2
  • First Eagles 2

18 minutes ago, MigBuster said:

That is not SF2.

It looks like a version of the original Strike Fighters: Project 1 from 2002 - 2004 time period. (Actually SFG.exe would signify Strike Fighters Gold from 2004)

That is why you have a totally different file structure and most recent mods (especially SF2) probably wont work with it because it is very old code.

While I am here

Strike Fighters Series 1 from 2002

• Strike Fighters Project 1
  • Strike Fighters Gold
  • Wings Over Vietnam
  • Wings Over Europe
  • Wings Over Israel (+ Expansion Pack)
  • First Eagles

Strike Fighters Series 2 from 2008

• Strike Fighters 2
  • Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam
  • Strike Fighters 2 Europe
  • Strike Fighters 2 Israel
  • Strike Fighters 2 North Atlantic
  • Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1
  • Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 2
  • First Eagles 2

i was afraid that was gonna happen. wow. thank you guys for all your support

they beat me to it.

there are Gen1 F-16s that might (heavy emphasis on might) work with what you have

however i strongly reccomend you get the original goods at Thirdwires site.

it took me about 18 months to get everything buying over time, but it may be coming down in price with the new version coming (the old version works fine in most Windows 10 sytems tho)

just get what interests you at first, then fill out the collection for other things. Given your interest in the F-16, I'd start with SF2 Israel as it has a stock F-16 Netz, then go from there

• Like 1

you can tell it's 1stGen because it still has the flyable F-104

• Like 1

The game you have is Strike Fighters Project 1 Gold Edition. (around Oct 2008 the Gold Edition came out).

So you need to follow Gen 1 add on rules.

Before installing mods you should learn how SF1 works. Therefor you Need to take a deeper look at the knowledgebase.

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/99-thirdwire-strike-fighters-knowledge-base/

When you are familar with the structure and you know how it works, you should browse the SF1 download section. there are a lot of F-16 mods available.

1 hour ago, Soulfreak said:

The game you have is Strike Fighters Project 1 Gold Edition. (around Oct 2008 the Gold Edition came out).

Just to clarify as I stated above Strike Fighters Gold was 2004 - I still have the Jewel Case & CD.

So, I guess this thread should be moved to the proper Fourm, like the SF/Wo* General Discussion?