Well guys, I just "finished" this thing (except for the cockpit, which I have never done before, the pilots and the flight model to flight different from an A-4), as you can see there is some AIM-9 floting near the module and after some test dogfights to see how it looks, I was wondering how should this spacecraft be weaponised for a fictional first space war.

That is what I want to ask you people! Do you hace any idea of how a first space fighter would be? based on the real Orion capsule that I just made

The weapons for me would be the same as they were in their first Earth versions, for examples a space torpedo or missile would be at first as clumsy and unreliable as the first Sidewinders that went into service. Maybe the guns could be also very limited as they have to use magnetic acceleration instead of gunpowder. Maybe the first torpedos have no warhead as its sheer velocity reached without atmosphere is enough to destroy small crafts.

I would like to hear your creative ideas of the first space weapons and where it could be fitted into the spacecraft! :)

img00165.thumb.JPG.8af7128c9427d8c6422839a169c303c1.JPGimg00164.thumb.JPG.62a119e69f04e00323fb7be2efb27ca2.JPG

• Like 5

Oh my gosh!)) no words)) This is cool. it's cooler then water in cooler. I would like to see (and take part) in space battle between Crew Dragons and russian Souzes )) ahaha. with rockets and lazers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bazillius said:

Oh my gosh!)) no words)) This is cool. it's cooler then water in cooler. I would like to see (and take part) in space battle between Crew Dragons and russian Souzes )) ahaha. with rockets and lazers

Hahahah that would be great, I can also imagine the Starship as a big freaking bomber! or packed with lots of torpedoes or turrets. Also I imagine Souzes with chinese spacecraft fighting against USA-EU forces!

Edited by nuni

you did the tactical LASER system, is there difficulty to use the concept? 

the pod is too big to mount in an internal bay, nose mounted LASER emitter may be?

• Like 1

any sort of kinetic weapon in orbit isn`t practical, realistically speaking, the recoil would throw the craft out of stability 

• Like 1

or guns only with too bright tracer effect, to simulate concentrated energy shots not actual bullets, the damage to simulate the biggest caliber available

• Like 1

The Rocinante doesn't seem to have any issues with it's rail guns. Or missiles.

"spurt bombs", maybe? Ala "Footfall" (small nukes for the emission of x-rays/gamma rays)

I think the addition of a 'service module' for the weapons bays, while breaking the look of Dragon, might be something to consider

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cosmoseed said:

you did the tactical LASER system, is there difficulty to use the concept? 

the pod is too big to mount in an internal bay, nose mounted LASER emitter may be?

Of course! it would be very easy to use, in fact I should make a softened version (not the hyper powerful doomlaser that is the TLS). I guess we could argue that the laser is limited in power and duration because of limited power generation. It can be used also in AAA!

any sort of kinetic weapon in orbit isn`t practical, realistically speaking, the recoil would throw the craft out of stability 

Yes it is true, maybe a centerlined cannon mounted in the main axis of the ship could be a solution to this, so that the main engine compesate the force. In fact, spinal heavy cannon in more futuristic spacecrafts could be cool too!

All said, I think laser would take the role of guns, they are "cheap" to shoot and they do not dissipate as much as with atmosphere.

or guns only with too bright tracer effect, to simulate concentrated energy shots not actual bullets, the damage to simulate the biggest caliber available

In fact, I was thinking that any kinetic gun must have an invisible tracer hahaha, that would be weird.

I have been thinking, while creating the TLS, which is basically a tracer effect, that it could be possible to assign a missile effect or something like that to bullets, giving an opportunity to make some cool plasma volley effects for futuristic plasma guns (although it would take more resources from the game engine)

Very good insights by the way! :)

• Thanks 1

There were soviet combat spacecrafts in reality.

Here a footage of Soyuz 7K-VI mockup:

5ed936e1e4812_SoyuzPPK.jpg.12f06159228db186c222800caa429ae1.jpg

It is not widely known, that 3 of 7 launched SALUT space stations were in reality ALMAZ stations. ALMAZ was the military version of SALUT. It was armed with a 23mm gun. IIRC the crew of SALUT 5 trained the space combat with aiming the gun on american SKYLAB space station.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cosmoseed said:

Not at all. The recoilless gun is widely used since 1945. The most popular weapons of this weapon type are soviet RPG-7 or german Panzerfaust.

Edited by Gepard
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Wrench said:

The Rocinante doesn't seem to have any issues with it's rail guns. Or missiles.

"spurt bombs", maybe? Ala "Footfall" (small nukes for the emission of x-rays/gamma rays)

I think the addition of a 'service module' for the weapons bays, while breaking the look of Dragon, might be something to consider

I think, as long as the direction of the recoil force is alligned and near the major axis of the craft, that would be no problem because it would generate little to no angular momentum and the force is countered by the main engines.

I really like the idea of the tactical nukes used in this way, could be a good antiship missile. Which brings me to a question I had for a long time: ¿Is it possible to have air-to-air cruise missiles in SF2NA? It would be great to see point defense gatlings in action like those in The Expanse!

And, yes I have some ideas of dedicated service modules for the weapons, I think I have some sketches anywhere. However I would like to work a little in this tiny bird to see it finished, and then make larger versions :)

11 minutes ago, Gepard said:

There were soviet combat spacecrafts in reality.

Here a footage of Soyuz 7K-VI mockup:

5ed936e1e4812_SoyuzPPK.jpg.12f06159228db186c222800caa429ae1.jpg

It is not widely known, that 3 of 7 launched SALUT space stations were in reality ALMAZ stations. ALMAZ was the military version of SALUT. It was armed with a 23mm gun. IIRC the crew of SALUT 5 trained the space combat with aiming the gun on american SKYLAB space station.

That thing is GREAT, I was thinking about doing a Soyuz-like counterpart for the other side and this spacecraft will give a lot of inspiration!

2 minutes ago, nuni said:

I think I have some sketches anywhere.

Orion.thumb.jpg.a854fca2e27865fb12c2559ad0d7bfb5.jpg

I was thinking in some advanced propulsion system or nuclear power generation, turrets and pylons and maybe a spacecraft with a very powerful laser turret that needs to deploy huge solar arrays or something. As you can see there is a lot of possibilities here. I should also investigate how it would look like a landing gear since I think, vertical take off without thrust vectoring is impossible hahahahah

Well, when in doubt, you can always consult this guy....

steve_carrel_space_force_fb.jpg

:lol:

-------

not so much a 'cruise missile', but adding the nuke warhead is just a simple text edit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wrench said:

Well, when in doubt, you can always consult this guy....

steve_carrel_space_force_fb.jpg

:lol:

Oh my god hahahaha, I am waiting to finish another show to start this one, I can't wait to see it!! :lol:

it's kinda stupid, but stupid in a funny way. Malkovitch STEALS the show!

Malkovitch ALWAYS steals the show hahaha

It is very interesting, and after seing it I wonder, is it possible to have a weapon to simulate in SF2 an electromagnetic attack? any type of warhead that makes the enemy lose control of their aircraft without looking conventionaly damaged or something

Particle accelerators and ion cannons added to the list!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Menrva

View File Outer Space Terrains
      Outer Space Terrains
      July 13th, 2021 (1st Release)
      by Menrva and nuni

>For Strike Fighters 2, Recommended Full-5 Merged
      This package was born out of fun while working on the realSKY Environment enhancement mod. It features two experimental terrains, Moon and Mars, each with own environment data files which allow different gravity acceleration values and custom skies. Due to various hardcoded factors of the stock game, the Moon terrain shows contrail effects at very high altitude like any other terrain, as well as overcast/inclement weather layers which cannot be disabled in any way; enjoy these custom environments by taking such and other game engine limitations into account. It is suggested to install the realSKY Environment mod, since the custom environment data references extra details from that package.
      Both terrains feature fresh new 250m resolution heightmaps (instead of the stock 500m resolution), allowing for greater details and precision in elevation changes; overall they provide each terrain with a better look. Given that these are extraterrestrial terrains, different types of source data had to be used in their creation; for this and other limitations, altitudes of geographical features are inaccurate.
      The Moon terrain spans from 2040 to 2070, while Mars is available from 2060 to 2090; both are designed for fictional clashes between Red forces (Russian Space Forces and People's Liberation Army Strategic Support Force) and Blue forces (United States Space Force and French Space Force). Both terrains contain only two bases, one for Friendly forces and one for Enemy forces, fully populated with custom objects created by nuni. Few target areas have been added so that users can easily discover features such as craters, plateaus and valleys. At this stage, only the Recon mission type is available, so just have fun by flying over these barren terrains. Off Map bases have been added to both terrains and long range AI flights could be generated from them.
      An Orion MPCV created by nuni in three different variants has been added as a flyable aircraft as well as a terrain object in points of interest. In addition, custom skins have been created for it so that all AI-only space forces spawn with at least one terrain-specific aircraft; I would have liked to include other feasible and realistic spacecraft, but none are available at this stage. If you wish to contribute to this end, just contact me. The idea is to create plausible space warfare and exploration scenarios, so alien and sci-fi stuff should not be involved. Of course, you're free to alter the original scenario for your own personal use.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -nuni, for creating the Orion MPCV and all featured space terrain objects.
      -gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making.
      -mue, for the improved shaders he made and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      Any changes to the package's files and/or any copy-and-paste attempts of their contents are NOT authorized if you plan to release them in other mods. But permission might be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
      This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
      Submitter Menrva Submitted 07/13/2021 Category Full Terrains  
    • By Menrva
      Outer Space Terrains
      July 13th, 2021 (1st Release)
      by Menrva and nuni

>For Strike Fighters 2, Recommended Full-5 Merged
      This package was born out of fun while working on the realSKY Environment enhancement mod. It features two experimental terrains, Moon and Mars, each with own environment data files which allow different gravity acceleration values and custom skies. Due to various hardcoded factors of the stock game, the Moon terrain shows contrail effects at very high altitude like any other terrain, as well as overcast/inclement weather layers which cannot be disabled in any way; enjoy these custom environments by taking such and other game engine limitations into account. It is suggested to install the realSKY Environment mod, since the custom environment data references extra details from that package.
      Both terrains feature fresh new 250m resolution heightmaps (instead of the stock 500m resolution), allowing for greater details and precision in elevation changes; overall they provide each terrain with a better look. Given that these are extraterrestrial terrains, different types of source data had to be used in their creation; for this and other limitations, altitudes of geographical features are inaccurate.
      The Moon terrain spans from 2040 to 2070, while Mars is available from 2060 to 2090; both are designed for fictional clashes between Red forces (Russian Space Forces and People's Liberation Army Strategic Support Force) and Blue forces (United States Space Force and French Space Force). Both terrains contain only two bases, one for Friendly forces and one for Enemy forces, fully populated with custom objects created by nuni. Few target areas have been added so that users can easily discover features such as craters, plateaus and valleys. At this stage, only the Recon mission type is available, so just have fun by flying over these barren terrains. Off Map bases have been added to both terrains and long range AI flights could be generated from them.
      An Orion MPCV created by nuni in three different variants has been added as a flyable aircraft as well as a terrain object in points of interest. In addition, custom skins have been created for it so that all AI-only space forces spawn with at least one terrain-specific aircraft; I would have liked to include other feasible and realistic spacecraft, but none are available at this stage. If you wish to contribute to this end, just contact me. The idea is to create plausible space warfare and exploration scenarios, so alien and sci-fi stuff should not be involved. Of course, you're free to alter the original scenario for your own personal use.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -nuni, for creating the Orion MPCV and all featured space terrain objects.
      -gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making.
      -mue, for the improved shaders he made and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      Any changes to the package's files and/or any copy-and-paste attempts of their contents are NOT authorized if you plan to release them in other mods. But permission might be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
      This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
    • By Nuni

View File Orion MPCV Pack
      Orion Multipurpose Crew Vehicle and variants:

As you may already know, this Monday (with some luck) the mission ARTEMIS one is going to lift-off setting the path for future manned missions to the Moon, something that as engineer and space nerd I am very excited about. To celebrate this milestone and since I am finding myself without time to continue 3D modelling space gear for the Moon mods, I have decided to upload my UNFINISHED models so you can enjoy them! That includes:
      - Aircrafts (or should I say spacecrafts)
      Orion MPCV: Your normal Orion Multipurpose Crew Vehicle, with some "landing gear" I was trying to design because my experiments with vertical take-off were to this point very unsuccessful... but appart from that and two floating invisible pilons for IR missiles, it should look like the Orion that will take off in a few days! Orion MPCV-ICPS: That is a bigger Orion which includes a variation of the "Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage", which in reality is the upper stage of the SLS that will insert the spacecraft into a translunar orbit from Earth. I modelled it here as a longer range Orion since the ICPS module are substantially two giant propellant tanks (big one LH2 and smaller one LOX). Also I have equipped it with four rocket engines which will help compensating the much heavier fuel tanks (I tried to tweak the engines parameters to make it look a little bit more like a rocket engine instead of an airbreathing one, so fuel consumption has become super high hahaha) F-40A Apollo Starfighter: The beginning of the Spacefighters mod, a modified Orion MPCV-ICPS in which the main body of the ICPS module has been modified to carry weaponry becoming a propulsion and warmodule. It includes to arms with a pair of space adapted cannons and pylons for eight SIM-9A the first vacuum rated version of the AIM-9 with reactive thrust control for maneuvering. This is definetely not how I want it to look like but newer models are on the long To Do List. - AAA test beds: In order to become a full Space warfare mod, ground objects have to be implemented, unfortunately appart from static turrets and modified rovers sketches I have not been able to make 3D models, that is why I borrowed randomly GKABS M163 PIVADS models in order to have AAA with good targeting for the following systems:
      Laser AAA: In space, one of the biggest challenges is thermal control of the spacecraft, and since there is no atmosphere to dissipate beams, a laser could potentially become an enemy for sneaky spacecrafts that ventures into restricted territory. That is why a small low power version of Laser AAA is intended to be used in the early stages of the mods conflict. Railgun: An electromagnetically accelerated projectile, with low fire rate but high velocities. It would have sense in the moment in which bigger and armoured spacecrafts appears in later stages of the conflict. - Weapons:
      23mm MG-2040 Lunar Cannon 20mm M168 Lunar Vulcan 100KW XN1 Laser Weapon System (quick fact eventhough "small" 100kW is freaking difficult to generate on the Moon) 105mm Lunar Rail Gun SIM-9A Spacewinder - So what to expect from this release?
      As you will see, it lacks a lot of things we take for granted in this game: ground assets, targets to strike, actual Air-to-Ground and viceversa weaponry, spacecrafts from other nations. But as we all know, time is sometimes really hard to invest in these projects and real life easily takes over it. So at least you can have some dogfights between Orions and experiment this new environment. I personally enjoyed a lot the process of doing them and thinking how a Spacefighter mod would look like after seeing that a Moon map is actually possible (thank you Menrva!).
      So I hope you enjoy this despite of the clearly unfinished models and textures!
      - CREDITS TO:
      Menrva: For the amazing map in which all of this can be developed and for the nations creation with their logos and the skins for them in the Orion. ravenclaw_007: For the incredibly detailed AIM-9 model from which I based my own space version model. GKABS: For the M163 that I included for testing the different AAA systems. Combatace community: In general, for the support, suggestions, advice and the material that I have used but I am not able to track the creator. DISCLAIMER:  As always this is a FREEWARE, the use of this content for commertial purposes is strictly FORBIDDEN.
      Ohhh and before I forget it, THERE ARE NO LANDING GEARS! hahahha

All being said, kind regards. Nuni
      Submitter nuni Submitted 08/27/2022 Category What If Hangar  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..