Sign in to follow this  
whiteknight06604

looking to upgrade(slightly)

I'm thinking about getting one of those cheep refurbished computers you see on amazon or ebay aimed at the fortnite crowd. Just to use as a SF2 only computer. does anyone have an idea what the min specs are to run SF2 on max settings. most of the computers seem to be around Intel Core i5-4590, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 240GB SSD & 2TB HDD, USB 3.0, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB, HDMI, DVI, WiFi - Windows 10 Professional is this something viable for SF2? 

The video card needs to be upgraded. At least GTX 1660 

• Like 1

ive run on max on my old Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and xfx ghost 5870 2gb and 8gb ram with good fps...

I still use it as spare...it even runs  cod black ops 4 with no problem..amazes me

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 1

Vanilla SF2 runs everywhere even on an abacus. Another way modded. I have slowmotions on some mods even on i7 GF1060. KAW  for example.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would agree, I have a super duper ninja pc, with all the bells and whistles, and it makes no noticeable difference to the way SF 2 and FE 2 runs ,  yes a little bit of ram expansion and a better vid card are certainly helpful, however the differences in performance and efficiency will all be "under the hood" and you will notice nothing at all, so upgrade by all means, as that is no bad thing at all , I cannot comment on re furbed pc's as I have no experience of them, but if that is all you can , or are willing to purchase, then go for it mate .

On 6/12/2020 at 4:07 AM, whiteknight06604 said:

I'm thinking about getting one of those cheep refurbished computers you see on amazon or ebay aimed at the fortnite crowd. Just to use as a SF2 only computer. does anyone have an idea what the min specs are to run SF2 on max settings. most of the computers seem to be around Intel Core i5-4590, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 240GB SSD & 2TB HDD, USB 3.0, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB, HDMI, DVI, WiFi - Windows 10 Professional is this something viable for SF2? 

I have a 1070 MSI Factory OverClocked GTX. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago. It does its job decent in SF2 or any other powerful game on the market with resolutions up to 4K. I use 2k because my AOC monitor can handle 2560x1440 only. It is not cheap even today (as a matter of fact, after two years I bought it, its price was bigger than when I bought it). Try to get a 1080 GTX or a 1080Ti GTX. They are expensive but it will get you through many years from now on. I think the minimum to run SF2 at , let's say 4k, in 60  fps would be a i7, second generation at least.

Edited by UllyB

thank you all for the responses. I'm just so out of touch with computers that i was a bit overwhelmed . You have all given me some baselines to work from.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 11:36 AM, whiteknight06604 said:

thank you all for the responses. I'm just so out of touch with computers that i was a bit overwhelmed . You have all given me some baselines to work from.

Same here. I bought a new Dell late last year without having a clue and it's working OK but I find that with Mues extended fade mod, some environmental enhancements, high res skins /cockpits, and lots of terrain tods I still get occasional frame rate chop. I went a bit cheap on the ram at 16GB. 

Also, even with my previous computer, the new graphics cards/drivers don't seem to handle old games very well.

My 2 cents.

My rule of thumb...skimp on the easy upgradables (HD and RAM) and don't on the (harder upgradables like) platform (CPU, MB and Graphics). I consider Graphics upgradable, but it can be a performance bottleneck even if you have a great CPU and Board...so I trhink of it as platform (or foundational).  Don't skimp too much, you have to live with the purchase you make...money saved up front could result in years of fustration...

---

Older intel chips are cheaper now...I wouldn't go below i7-4x (If you were going with Windows 7)...But I recommend i5-7x or higher. This is a nice spot....Intel did great in 4x for Windows 7, went all busiess in 5x (trying to steal AMD server marketshare back), fought about direction in 6x, decided for performance again and embraced Windows 10 in 7x (ie, Literally a cleaned up version of 6x and first to be tuned for Windows 10). This is a nice spot, not the latest and not the oldest...and skips the intel performance vs workload "schizo" years. 

16GB is a good target...but if you need to skimp, skimp here with 8GB...then upgrade to another 8 later...

Graphics < Important...RAM RAM RAM...get as much graphics memory you can...1060 or 1070 should be good...get the one that has more RAM...My current 1080Ti blows away a 2070 super...because of the RAM in the 1080 (but the 1080 can't do ray tracing). Get it? It's not just about the higher model number. Older cards can out-perform newer cards, but may not be able to run newer games using newer graphics functions (if the gamer desginers were stupid and in the pockets of Nvidia to prevent you from turning off the new functions). My old 970 may have put a 1030 to shame...in pure performance with excellent 1080p graphics. 

Like RAM, skimp here and get one 1TB SSD now...then when you are ready (or need to), buy another 1TB SSD later...don't bother with spinners (unless you are using it for backup or file serving)...For gaming - SSD all the way, you will be glad you did...

---

Before I upgraded, I had an i7-4x with a Nvidia 970...16GB RAM...Everything ran fine at the highest resolution...untill I started to heavily mod the games...On some WWII bomber intercepts...the game slowed down to a crawl...too many bombers, germans and angels...unplayable...

This is my opinion from my experience...other people may have other experiences and recommendations...just saying...

Edited by viper63a
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1