I looked into F-4s stock range (and into some from download section as well) planes and I discovered that none of them use avionics70.dll. In SF1 radar display was looking great in that higher resolution because of that. I tried tweak/mix it a little to match the old settings of SF1 but I can't make it use a higher resolution for the radar display, meaning that TK F-4s (SF2) cockpits won't match with SF1 F-4 avionics. It works (the radar avionics I spoke about above) if I change the whole cockpit with ones from SF1 but I really Ilike TK's SF2 cockpits so I wanna keep them somehow. Am I missing something here ? Did anyone look into this matter (ever) here ? is there a way around I can't think of for the moment ?

Edited by UllyB
  • Like 1

No. Can't use it

And you trying to mix and match two incompatable games. Don't do that. 

SF1 questions belong in the SF1 forums. SF2 questions here in SF2 forums. 

Please choose which you'd like to use. We've been getting some not so positive feedback, so for everyone's sake ... (and I'm trying to be nice here) Choose a path

• Like 1

Some years ago I made something unthinkable. I pick some SFP2 archives and DLLs, droped into SFP1 and ran ok! The graphics looked the same from SFP2. The worst part is...where are they? It's possible.

Maybe you could attach screenshots of the SF1 vs SF2 cockpits with radar on so we can seen exactly what the issue is?

7 hours ago, Wrench said:

No. Can't use it

And you trying to mix and match two incompatable games. Don't do that. 

SF1 questions belong in the SF1 forums. SF2 questions here in SF2 forums. 

Please choose which you'd like to use. We've been getting some not so positive feedback, so for everyone's sake ... (and I'm trying to be nice here) Choose a path

The question was for the SF2. I just asked IF I can mix stuff from SF1 to serve me into...SF2 because I wanted some SF1 effects into SF2 (if possible), the high resolution radar for instance.. That is all. I try to migrate to SF2 but , as you can see, it's a bumpy road for me and I am the type of guy who asks a lot of questions in order to fully understand how things work. I hope you won't mind that.

PS - when you said that they are two separate games I challenge that to some extent, because some things are the same and follow the same rules.(ini files settings for instance, reading a 3D model etc). I solved the Hangarscreen.ini quest sound using knowledge from SF1. TK  changed a lot when it comes to the combat A.I., for both enemy and friendly and did a better job with 3D model light, or that is my impression so far.

Edited by UllyB

Hello !

Do you have tested the change of the extension name (.bmp or .jpg) of the radar files and in the Avionics.ini file of the plane ?

5 hours ago, Wilches said:

Some years ago I made something unthinkable. I pick some SFP2 archives and DLLs, droped into SFP1 and ran ok! The graphics looked the same from SFP2. The worst part is...where are they? It's possible.

You could did that because the 3D model wasn't coded in UNICODE. Some early 3D model made for SF2 games didn't use unicode. The part that SF1 doesn't have it as good as in SF2 is the A.I. behaviour. In SF1 the friendly A.I. (wingmen) are stupid and fly in straight line even if it has a enemy shooting at it in its tale. In SF2 that never happens, friendly A.I. is tough even if its random skill, when you choose a pilot from the roster, is not big. Weapons behave better than in SF1, too (fire  a Sparrow in SF1 and see what happens and compare it with one fired in SF2 for instance) . Also in SF2 series 3D models (especially the cockpits, they are gorgeous!) look better because of better light effects, bump technology etc

Edited by UllyB

9 hours ago, KJakker said:

Maybe you could attach screenshots of the SF1 vs SF2 cockpits with radar on so we can seen exactly what the issue is?

I will try to explain the best I can. So the SF1 F-4 cockpits (third party ones) used in cockpit.ini  two important lines, one was refering to the resolution of the rendering radar (Radartexturesize=256) which was implemented to work with the avionics70.dll (it technically made radar screen look clearer because of its high resolution; its fonts, too), the second one was a bitmap (RadarTexture=cockpit\F-18A_radar.bmp) which changed the radar screen look of a regular F-4 with one from F-18, the one with small squares (I think  the stock F-15A Baz used them too). Well SF2 F-4 cockpits use avionics60.dll ONLY! That is the problem. Using just the avionics60.dll (I don't have a clue why TK did that, maybe to simplify) you can't make that radar screen to look better (higher resolution), the resolution setting for bitmap it simply won't work because it's made to work and use the avionics70.dll.  The best one can do in this very given situation is to bring/change just the radar bitmap but it won't look that good as it looks in SF1 third party F-4 cockpits because of the lack of avionics70.dll rendering support. That is the whole story in a nutshell.

Edited by UllyB

Lack of skills in searching seems to be rather rampant these days. Lack of knowledge of the subject even moreso

I'd suggest looking for the following aircraft:

F-4EJ kai

F-4E AUP

As some folks are always trying to re-invent the wheel, and don't seem to understand it's already been done by experts ...