Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

Files disappearing ?

Does files  (ini files) disappear in SF2 after you modify them ? I ask that because I recently modified the hangarscreen.ini to allow SF1 usual sounds. After a few days I noticed I didn't have ay sounds in  hangar screen in the game anymore. I went to menu folder and discovered that my hangarscreen.ini file was gone! I had to recopy it again and modify it, in order to work as I wanted. Is it me or these things really happens ?

I Don"t think this is your Problem but, I had a hard drive failing that lost files

IIRC game reverts to default...I think it assumes extraneous files are errors....try write protecting them.

Even if they are put outside the Program Files x86 folder ? I thought that outside if I make a custom mod folder there would be no interferrence of any kind. Am I wrong ?

Yes

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wrench said:

Yes

Bother to elaborate your answer ? :)

Nope.

:biggrin:

It's how the game engine works, espeically with AI units converted to Player Flyable.

Covered in the SF2 KNowledge Base

I doubt that the game removes any files from the mod folder. I've never experienced such things.

But what I think the game indeed does (and then only after a game update or a merged install of another SF2 game or DLC) is to revert stock aircraft and ground object ini files, i.e. Object/Aircraft/<aircraft>.ini and Object/GroundObject/<groundobject>.ini. I think no other files, e.g. *_data.ini files are touched. Can anyone confirm this?

58 minutes ago, mue said:

But what I think the game indeed does (and then only after a game update or a merged install of another SF2 game or DLC) is to revert stock aircraft and ground object ini files, i.e. Object/Aircraft/<aircraft>.ini and Object/GroundObject/<groundobject>.ini. I think no other files, e.g. *_data.ini files are touched. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I do confirm this. It keeps happening from time to time, unless you make such .ini files as read-only. This is mostly important for any AI aircraft which have been made flyable. The stock .ini files for the AI planes have no statements for cockpit and avionics, thus such aircraft seem to disappear.

44 minutes ago, Menrva said:

It keeps happening from time to time, ...

Do you remember if it does happen on random or only after a game/DLC update/install?

11 hours ago, Wrench said:

Nope.

:biggrin:

It's how the game engine works, espeically with AI units converted to Player Flyable.

Covered in the SF2 KNowledge Base

If you noticed Sir, I was not talking about planes (until now A.I. planes and stock planes didn't disappear from where I put them) , a modified HANGARSCREEN.INI file disappeared which is different. Do you have an explanation for that from experience ?

2 hours ago, mue said:

Do you remember if it does happen on random or only after a game/DLC update/install?

Nope it was not that. I installed all SF2 games with updates and everything , as anyone elses, after that I followed the suggestions from the knowledge base given by MIGBUSTER ("Running mods from a different disk partition"), how to move folder content outside , in order to protect it from interferrence. I only moved the SF Israel content as instructed. Except that file which I modified it (hangarscreen.ini), nothing , until now, disappeared from this folder. That is why I found it odd and I came here to ask people.

PS - As a precaution after I mod a plane or something to that plane, A.I. or not, I copy it into a backup folder. I hate that something could ruin my work of hours.

Edited by UllyB

If not ensure the game is set to run as admin so it has full access

Is this the same problem do you think?

2 hours ago, UllyB said:

Nope it was not that. I installed all SF2 games with updates and everything , as anyone elses, after that I followed the suggestions from the knowledge base given by MIGBUSTER ("Running mods from a different disk partition"), how to move folder content outside , in order to protect it from interferrence. I only moved the SF Israel content as instructed. Except that file which I modified it (hangarscreen.ini), nothing , until now, disappeared from this folder. That is why I found it odd and I came here to ask people.

Could it be that you already lost the file while moving the SF Israel mod folder, meaning the game is not to blame for removing the file?

Edited by mue

9 minutes ago, mue said:

Could it be that you already lost the file while moving the SF Israel mod folder, meaning the game is not to blame for this?

No , I modded that file AFTER I moved everything and settled down. The file wasn't even there, I brought/resurrected it after from the CAT and then I tweaked it to suit my needs.

Edited by UllyB

5 hours ago, mue said:

I'd say on random. I'm stuck at the latest patch level for years and I remember it has happened to me, before I gave the .inis the read-only property. Not sure what triggers it. I know for a fact that the game refreshes such .ini files for new texture entries each time you run the executable. Maybe that's the culprit.

38 minutes ago, MigBuster said:

If not ensure the game is set to run as admin so it has full access

Is this the same problem do you think?

No need to do that for two reasons:

- I have the right path as you instructed in knowledge base thread, in options.ini already written, I checked

- I don't have any issues with planes data.ini files

As I said above, but nobody seem to care for the difference, my beef was with a regular file HANGARSCREEN.INI which disappeared after a while. The files was tweaked by me to allow the old music and sounds in the Hangar as in SF1 series.

Edited by UllyB

a modified HANGARSCREEN.INI file disappeared which is different.

never heard of that one, never had it happen.

The only time I've lost files is from a system restore; had hundreds (thousands? given the size of some mods folders) of skin folder that were emptied -- nothing but the textureset ini and decals ini. But that has to be Windows issue, not a game one.

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

never heard of that one, never had it happen.

The only time I've lost files is from a system restore; had hundreds (thousands? given the size of some mods folders) of skin folder that were emptied -- nothing but the textureset ini and decals ini. But that has to be Windows issue, not a game one.

Yeah , I agree, it's strange. And I noticed it only because I didn't hear music in hangar anymore, otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue that the file was gone.

Edited by UllyB