Mike Dora

617: Last Days of the Vulcan Sqn

Inspired by GunnySonics’ find of the 1978 Buccaneer video, I found this impressive documentary of 617’s last days as a Vulcan sqn:

All of the attitudes, professionalism, behaviour (!) ring true, the RAF as I remember it.

Of course as most here probably know, ironically the Vulcan went into action for the first time just a few months after this documentary was filmed. By then the ac used for 617’s last sortie, was sitting just across the fence from my office at RAF Hendon, in the RAFM car park.

In 26 pieces..

• Like 6

I lived at RAF Scampton as a kid and used to love watching these aircraft take off and do circuits, I would sit on the swings at the park for hours watching them, often resulting in my dad having to come looking for his 7 year old son in the evening when all the other kids had gone home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched 'Flight of Intruder' yesterday and probably Bananas were very similar planes. And this movie (617) is max cool.