UllyB

question about A.I. "ASM" cruise missiles

I understood that , in weapon editor, missiles marked "ASM" are there to serve the A.I. attacks employing the cruise missiles ONLY, brought by SF2 NA add-on. If I attempt to use them (creating a shadow copy of it) must I change, in weapondata.ini,  the WeaponDataType value from 7 to 1 and GuidanceType, from 7 to 8 ? Do I need to change anything else ? Thank you.

Edited by UllyB

why not just try it...heard of trial and error..?   good start 

I did that and the type "ASM" didn't change in weapon editor after changing those parameters. That is WHY I asked....:rolleyes:

Now really...nobody knows to explain to me ? How am I suppose to learn about SF2 "mechanic" if I can't get a little help ? :rolleyes:

Edited by UllyB

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question... But players can also use the ASM weapons without any issues (well, other than the fact they can be shot down, but that's more realistic).

The Cruise Missile mission is AI only but Strikes against naval units / Anti Ship missions with ASM weps will work fine. However, ASMs will only work against ships which means that your AGM-84E SLAM Harpoon, for example, becomes less versatile. 

If I remember correctly, most modders already have EOGR versions of the ASMs available  in weapons packs (such as the aforementioned Harpoon).

You'll find that most modders have set up ASMs as the following:

AGM84D

AGM84E

KH15

EOGR weps as the following:

AGM-84D

AGM-84E

KH-15

I might be remembering this wrong, but there's not a way in the Thirdwire Weapon Editor to easily convert a ASM or EOGR and back again. But I found that I can copy / paste another EOGR using the regular Windows method, rename it, change the INI using Notpad++ and do it that way. 

Edited by TempestII

I know everything you mentioned , except HOW to change a stock ASM fixed one in weapons editor into a, let's say EOGR. That was what I was asking. I know that I can replace it, but I don't want that. I want to know how I can change it. You say it might not be possible to change it ? How's so ? The missile is all text, some bitmaps/jppgs and LODs, nothing else, so it has to be a way! The text setting governs it, the game's engine knows to interpret the text settings made by one. Also , IMO there is no sense to make the same weapon, but as EOGR, it wouldn't work, or would it ? Can game's engine to distinct between two different types of missile , with the same name ?

PS - it could be just one exception though, now it came to me, but I doubt it's that: TK hardcoded directly the ASM type, but even so I should be able to change it into a EOGR one, through (text commands/lines) settings.

PPS -  In my weapons editor AGM-84A/C and D are set as cruise missiles, the rest are EOGRs.

Edited by UllyB

OK, so I just played around with an AGM84E ASM & only changing the WeaponDataType & GuidanceType in the DATA.INI should be necessary: 

WeaponDataType=7 to WeaponDataType=1

GuidanceType=7 to GuidanceType=6

Then your ASM  will change into an EOGR. It can only be done via Notepad in the DATA file & not via the Weapon Editor; however, once those 2 aforementioned parameters are altered,  you can use the Weapon Editor to tinker as normal.

AFAIK, the weapons will have to be named differently. I don't think you could have two identically named missiles even if they're different guidance / weapon types.

Before changing:

5f01183e6ca3d_AGM84EShot1.jpg.b12102e67319bf7c7797ef884f083c06.jpg

After changing:

5f01183fcc38b_AGM84EShot2.jpg.ce4b972ac22b571a47cdc3fbed892274.jpg

6 hours ago, TempestII said:

OK, so I just played around with an AGM84E ASM & only changing the WeaponDataType & GuidanceType in the DATA.INI should be necessary: 

WeaponDataType=7 to WeaponDataType=1

GuidanceType=7 to GuidanceType=6

Then your ASM  will change into an EOGR. It can only be done via Notepad in the DATA file & not via the Weapon Editor; however, once those 2 aforementioned parameters are altered,  you can use the Weapon Editor to tinker as normal.

AFAIK, the weapons will have to be named differently. I don't think you could have two identically named missiles even if they're different guidance / weapon types.

Before changing:

5f01183e6ca3d_AGM84EShot1.jpg.b12102e67319bf7c7797ef884f083c06.jpg

After changing:

5f01183fcc38b_AGM84EShot2.jpg.ce4b972ac22b571a47cdc3fbed892274.jpg

I tried what you suggested but it won't work. Have you forgot anything, maybe you changed another value ? First I made a copy of the weapon I want to change in weapon in editor, renamed it, saved it (in both weapondata.ini and weapon editor), closing the editor, opening the weapondata.ini, modifying those 2 parameters, saved it, copying the weaponeditor.ini and weapondata.dat again into weapons folder , opening the weapon editor. File didn't changed, it's still ASM (see the pic included please). What did I miss ?

w2s.jpg

Edited by UllyB