I read one of MigBuster tutorial. I know what a RWR system basically is, but I want to know more. What does mean that when is TRUE and what does when it isn't ?

RWRCanDetectCW=FALSE /TRUE 

Let's see if I got it right. When is FALSE it means that planes has no RWR display. When is TRUE it means that it has. BUT! I looked into stock MIG-27 data.ini  file and , even if the plane has no RWR obviously unless you add a cockpit (and all Russian cockpits for MIG-23/27 have no RWR display whatsoever), and the value was TRUE. Which means that it is wrong or...I did't understand anything. Which one is it ?

that line only means the aircraft's RWR can (or cannot) detect continous wave radars. Which are diferent from pulse radars.

Has nothing to do with the display (not much) as the actual RWR is in the avionics ini for said aircraft (research: pull the data, cockpit and avionics inis fro the F-15 or F-16 - mind you, these are TEWS RWRs, but for a vector type, pull those listed from the F-4Es

What's listed in the data inis' section is for AI only

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After your answer I read about CW radars and Pulse radars but it is so much technicality that I didn't understand the difference in terms of WHO/WHAT military installation (in our game) uses them. In our game we have planes (jetfighters) and SAMs. They both use both systems (which is again confusing, how do I know when is one and when is another in terms of reading the RWR display ? ) or some use one type and the other use the other one ? As I understood, maybe I am wrong, military aicraft use both, the radar CW and the pulse radar. I tried to put the question on google like :

- are SAM batteries use the pulse radar/radar CW ?

- are military jetfighter using pulse radar/radar CW ?

and I found no direct answers, just the one that some military aicraft use the radar CW

It will be much easier to let me know who uses one and who uses the other one or if both platforms use both and some explicit examples.(which SAM, which aircraft). Also, in case that our platforms, in our game, use both technologies, then what is the difference between them, in terms of advantage ?

Thank you

Edited by UllyB

Look for RadarMissileGuidanceCW=TRUE in a data.ini..........e.g. F-4D_data.ini or Straightflush_Data.ini..you will have to find the rest........or ask TK if you need to know more.

So for example the F-4D radar which was considered a Pulse radar was able to switch to use Continuous Wave after launching SARH missiles (AIM-7s ) to guide them to the target.

9 minutes ago, MigBuster said:

Look for RadarMissileGuidanceCW=TRUE in a data.ini..........e.g. F-4D_data.ini or Straightflush_Data.ini..you will have to find the rest........or ask TK if you need to know more.

So for example the F-4D radar which was considered a Pulse radar was able to switch to use Continuous Wave after launching SARH missiles (AIM-7s ) to guide them to the target.

So one jetfigter actually can use both types of radar. Good to know. How do I know then when to put for a third party or old SF1 plane brought to SF2 world, TRUE or FALSE for CW radar if you say that some jetfighters can use both ? Or do I put TRUE and I don't have to bother with this issue anymore ?

Edited by UllyB

First knowing the type of aircraft you actually refer to would be a start...........and if there is nothing on the net about it then someone may have details assuming this is still Cold War radars we are on about?

Then a case of seeing if any of them used CW to guide SARH missiles really.

• Like 1

So the basic line would be if, when I use an X plane brought into game, IF there are , in its service date interval, other planes that still uses SAHM missiles (SAMs, I remembered, they use the same SAHM technique/mechanic) then I can use TRUE in that line. Is that it ? Did I get it right ?