Hello everyone, I have always wondered how the flak cannons works within the game, I mean, I have seen a lot of times the fire of M-42 or ZSU-52, but I think they have never shot me down with the flak fire. (Well I have played basically with jets all my life, it might be more effective with several big a slow targets like a squadron of B-17)

So basically, do they work? can you receive damage from a flak explosion? does it have a blast radius or something? on which parameters depends the force/size of that blast?

I want to use it because I recently started watching Battle Star Galactica and I was thinking in adding some flaks to the battlecruiser to compensate for the poor AI aiming (almost inexistant because of the incredibly huge gun offsets)

Thank you!

I got damaged one time in a Hornet but that was months ago, so that's that I guess. I mean it's so rare that I usually don't worry about flak when I'm near it in jets. I suppose that it's just as ineffective with prop planes as well.

41 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I got damaged one time in a Hornet but that was months ago, so that's that I guess. I mean it's so rare that I usually don't worry about flak when I'm near it in jets. I suppose that it's just as ineffective with prop planes as well.

Exactly, that is how I feel about flak too, if there are flaks near me I just think...not going to waste a Maverick on that thing... hahahaha

• Like 2

yeah they do, AAA scratched my F-8 butt couple of times flying tree tops over Vietnam terrain, i`m not sure which equipment they were

36 minutes ago, nuni said:

Exactly, that is how I feel about flak too, if there are flaks near me I just think...not going to waste a Maverick on that thing... hahahaha

Indeed :biggrin:

i was shoted down yesterday by Flak. Yes they work. Rare but in a not expected moment

Light Flak is overrated, especially the machine guns. They are dangerous.

Medium and heavy Flak is underrated. It happens very seldom, that they hit anything. But when they it, then it hurts.

• Like 2

Now I want to do experiments with this, would a flak explosion match a nuke if I put a freaking lot of tons of explosives per round? 

If I turn into flak the 56 cannos of the battlecruiser, would it shoot down at least one fighter? 

Who knows, it could be the rebirth of the flak as the deadliest of all! 

2 minutes ago, nuni said:

Now I want to do experiments with this, would a flak explosion match a nuke if I put a freaking lot of tons of explosives per round? 

If I turn into flak the 56 cannos of the battlecruiser, would it shoot down at least one fighter? 

Who knows, it could be the rebirth of the flak as the deadliest of all! 

there is aim-4 falcon with nuke head, it can be a good reference 

Check out the modified ships and guns in my ship packs as well as the more lethal flak mod.

38 minutes ago, one4five said:

there is aim-4 falcon with nuke head, it can be a good reference 

I love air to air missiles with nukes, that is why I filled the battlecruiser with 16 of them hahaha, I remember myself a bunch of years ago playing with the nuclear falcon in WOE, it was great shooting down entire squadrons at once! 

6 minutes ago, KJakker said:

Check out the modified ships and guns in my ship packs as well as the more lethal flak mod.

I will! 

• Like 1

Here is the optional more lethal flak from the SF2:V Air & Ground Expansion.

Flak.7z

Okay, I made my first test. I took the 40MM_L60 Bofors cannon from a M42, and I changed the following line in the GunData:

WarheadWt=9.0 to WarheadWt=99999999.479980 :wink:

What do you think it happened when A-10 went to hunt down two M42 in the middle of the desert?

img00201.thumb.JPG.c8cb072f5066c9ed5e095c8bf43073dc.JPG

img00203.thumb.JPG.d53df68db34b0e768495bd49d82e02e7.JPG

Yaaaaaaay, Nuclear rounds!! :lol:

Also I tried setting tailgunners to shot flaks but appearently it didn't work, is it as easy as setting true to TimeFuzed? May be I am missing out something...

Edited by nuni
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

oh! they know they`re dead!

one hell of a shockwave with that wt! good stuff!

• Haha 1

that's gonna leave a mark that won't rub out!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nuni said:

Okay, I made my first test. I took the 40MM_L60 Bofors cannon from a M42, and I changed the following line in the GunData:

WarheadWt=9.0 to WarheadWt=99999999.479980 :wink:

A 99kt warhead. 10 times more than the Hiroshima bomb. Its a little bit overrated. Doesnt it?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gepard said:

A 99kt warhead. 10 times more than the Hiroshima bomb. Its a little bit overrated. Doesnt it?

They are made of anti-matter! The future is here muahahaha :yikes:

The timed fuse flak is more or less useless in it's stock form. If you placed 1000 flak guns around Berlin or where ever it might be useful but that's not really practical so about the only option is to use an unrealistic warhead weight, as demonstrated. That's the approach used in the SF-2V expansion.

At one time there was a way to increase the flak effectiveness my networking the guns and it did work for me in SF-1 but doesn't seem to help much, if at all, in SF-2.

• Like 1

On 28/7/2020 at 7:22 PM, baffmeister said:

The timed fuse flak is more or less useless in it's stock form. If you placed 1000 flak guns around Berlin or where ever it might be useful but that's not really practical so about the only option is to use an unrealistic warhead weight, as demonstrated. That's the approach used in the SF-2V expansion.

At one time there was a way to increase the flak effectiveness my networking the guns and it did work for me in SF-1 but doesn't seem to help much, if at all, in SF-2.

Which is still not enough. Even the insane rating of the SF2V flak is not enough to be really scary

• Like 1