I need help on how to make skins for SF2I (israel), everytime i try to play with my skins the aircraft appears in a full black color, i need to know which programs i need to use to make them correctly

Save the skins you made with exactly the same name as the skins you are replacing and in the same format (usually .bmp or .jpg).

e.g. A-4B_BODY.bmp 

If your new skins are still black despite having identical names then you've probably got an alpha layer hidden away in your skin.

sound like improper formatting of the exported skin. Like, not having a textureset.ini, perhaps/?? The black color you see in the the 3d material the model (LOD) is made of, and how it appear "naked" in game.

Can you give us, step by step, the actual process by which you create the new skin, for the painting the layers on the psd, to exportation to the game???

You really haven't given us enough (or anything) to go on to even start figuring what you're doing wrong.

like spinners says check format is same...also you might use mues lod viewer to load your skins to check out....and it helps to see whats what when you update each texture each time...I use it when skinning instead of 3ds max its open when Im mapping a plane etc..as it loads textures instantly ..(the refresh button)

which software you are using to create skins?

If Gimp and exporting as bmp. make sure to chose the proper format of bmp. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, yakarov79 said:

which software you are using to create skins?

If Gimp and exporting as bmp. make sure to chose the proper format of bmp. 

indeed...or copy the planes bmps you are making new ones...copy them to new skin folder and sav as  and navigate to folder click on the one you are doing and save as...ensures same format

i am using photoshop (on the computer) or picsart (on my phone), i exported them in .bmp format but they are still appearing black, i will try the LODviewer because i didnt tried it

the process i usually do is:

1) open the program and open the template.

2) I dont usually repaint them, i only add them pictures like roundels.

3) export the template with the roundels or the images i added.

and...

is there a textureset ini??? NO skins show in game without one. Been that way since 2006 or so

also, why would you waste time painting on national markings when TK has given us the most fabulous decal system in gaming?? The only reasons one would need to do so 

1) weathering. decals are (somewhat) difficult to get that worn look

2) need that mesh for additional decals (4 max per mesh)

just my thoughts on the matter

I have the textureset.ini in all my skins, and i paint the decals because there are some decals that i cant get in the game (for example: im from argentina, in the game i cant get the 3 escuadrilla de caza y ataque symbol from the argentine navy, so i make a skin with it)

But i would like to know how to paint a skin (not symbols, camouflage or things like that) because im new in this game and i would like to make my own skins and maybe share them here!

Oh i forgot to say that i copy and paste the textureset.ini from the default skins of the plane im skinning and then i edit it with nation, squadron, etc. I dont know if i am doing it good or not, if not i would like to know how to make it good

15 minutes ago, Apokapo said:

Oh i forgot to say that i copy and paste the textureset.ini from the default skins of the plane im skinning and then i edit it with nation, squadron, etc. I dont know if i am doing it good or not, if not i would like to know how to make it good

textureset.ini way is fine...

if repainting say c47 copy its base textures to the new folder....when finished painting...just go to your new skin folder select the texture youve redone.and "save as".....ensres its exact same format...

just ensure if plane uses a bmp its format you save in is....24/ 16 m depth\colours

or jpeg if jpeg..

make sure the textures added to the planes main ini ie.....C-47A.ini...if you follow the steps you cant or shouldnt go wrong.

[TextureSet001]
Directory=USAFSilver1  <  important to name right
Name=USAF Silver < ditto
Nation=USAF
StartDefaultDate=1948
Specular=1.000000
Glossiness=0.500000
Reflection=0.800000
DecalNumberRandomize=TRUE

[TextureSet002]
Directory=USAFGreen1
Name=USAF Green