Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

Ground Object detecting system

Is there a way , except easyradar, to be able to see a ship (basically a ground object) from afar as a ground target ? I looked into bomber detecting system , it says 24km but it never see a ground object from that distance.Maybe it's stupid what I ask but still I would like to know if there is a way around. I would like to use a weapon which has 100km or more to hit something, except STRIKE mission targets which are fixed and visible no matter the distance. I thought that if you can see a STRIKE target at 400km or more maybe there is a way to do that for every object you would like. Is it ?

Ground object _DATA.INI . You must edit for every object.

[DetectSystem]
TargetType=Air_AND_GROUND
DataLink=TRUE
OpticalSight=TRUE
NightSight=TRUE
VisualRange=5000.0
ViewportPosition=0.0,0.0,2.00
MaxVisibleDistance=4800.0  <------------------ [m]
RadarCrossSection=10

Edited by guuruu

Thanks. That was the revelation I was waiting for.

• Haha 1

well I know it's from 2020. I haven't entered here for a year so please be patient with me if I answer old posts which were addressed to me.

I was wondering about this too.

See, in North Atlantic, they want you to attack the Russian fleet, and you are given a main target of a particular ship.

Your AGM-84A Harpoon has a range of 49.7 miles, but your main target doesn't show up until about 10 miles away, by which time they are pounding you with their missiles.

The AGM-84E SLAM has a range of 74 miles, which should be even better if you could only see the Russian ships at that range.

I'll try guuruu's trick for the Russian ships and see if I can get them to show up at Harpoon range.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 8:32 AM, guuruu said:

Ground object _DATA.INI . You must edit for every object.

[DetectSystem]
TargetType=Air_AND_GROUND
DataLink=TRUE
OpticalSight=TRUE
NightSight=TRUE
VisualRange=5000.0
ViewportPosition=0.0,0.0,2.00
MaxVisibleDistance=4800.0  <------------------ [m]
RadarCrossSection=10

I did some testing and things are not that easy as  I thought they would when I first read your reply. After thoroughly testing I concluded that, that parameter, is more about OBJECTS detection on the map, rather than on planes HUD when I fly towards it, which , obviously, won't help too much. However when I changed for cargo ships from 8km to 25km the target poped up at...13km (the best it could it seems) which is better than nothing. I also tweaked/matched the maxvisibledistance parameter into the terrain types.ini file, as well, but I didn't see any difference. I am open to suggestions and ideas if they can make things better.

Edited by UllyB

I did some more tests and , finally, I figured it out how it is. So

VisualRange=5000.0 (5Km) -> that is the max range when you will see it in front of you when you press E key, searching for ground target. If you want to fire, let's say a missile ship, which can be launched from tens of km away, you may want set this parameter to a higher value. This parameter is, in game, on majority ally radar displays in NM, not in km.

MaxVisibleDistance=4800.0 (4.8Km)-> that is the max distance the ground target is seen on the MAP (it will simply pop up on map), when you are close to it and you pressed M for map.

If in one ground object dataini file, in the [Detect System] section one or both of the parametera are missing, you must add it/them in order to see the effect of the setting you want.

Edited by UllyB
  • Thanks 2