Muesli

Question about close formation flying...

Most of the times I am not paying too much attention to the flying opponents... but I wonder if this is something I can change to a more acceptable formation...
Do I need to change values somewhere, do I need to erase/change a file somewhere?

Cheers!

img00007.JPG

• Haha 6

oh my, the dreaded 7 engine landing

on a serious note, there is a formation ini that can be tweaked. but its a global thing (Soviet Fighter, US Bomber, not MiG-21 or B-52) and not likely the issue here

1 hour ago, Wilches said:

Which terrain is it?

one on which the people are VERY friendly, and have little regard for personal space!!! ???? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

oh my, the dreaded 7 engine landing

on a serious note, there is a formation ini that can be tweaked. but its a global thing (Soviet Fighter, US Bomber, not MiG-21 or B-52) and not likely the issue here

Where please?  I've seen this same problem.

forgot to add above ...

"I wonder how many I can kill with a single Sparrow shot??"

==

off the top of my head though, since those are the DLC Su-9s, I'll almost bet there's something wrong in the AI routines. I've seen things similiar, but never to this extent.  (doubled bombers in formation, running themselves over on the runways/taxiways).

Is a terrain issue. Must add the Desert Airfields.inis on it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wilches said:

Is a terrain issue. Must add the Desert Airfields.inis on it.

I thought as much, either this or a modified Formation.ini file in the Flight folder. Old terrains don't include needed airfield .inis and this results in weird behavior for AI during taxing and takeoff.

I have seen this from time to time, on a variety of terrains, mostly with bombers or transports.

I can't see how the Airfield INIs would affect aircraft formation in flight, I think it must be from a modded Formation.INI, but I have never seen it often enough to test.

how can you do this! i haver never seen this. nice.

Edited by bazillius

Hahahahaha, you guys!

Thank you for the silly answers, and thank you for the insights!
I use a bone stock Formations.ini, and I have the issue with different maps. Next thing to do (now) is to fly a few missions in the stock map areas to see if the problem is there as well.
If not, it might be in the map itself??? If so, where to look and what to edit? I have no clue!

Thanks, crazy people!
(It takes one to know one!)

• Haha 1

1st off, we need to know which map, and then in the targets ini, what each airfield ini is called for on each of the airfields.

Example:

[TargetArea002]
Name=Levu Vana Airfield
Position=536000,496000
Radius=6000
ActiveYear=0
Location=1
Alignment=FRIENDLY
AirfieldDataFile=desert_airfield1.ini
NumSquadrons=3
Target[001].Type=Runway1
Target[001].Offset=0.00,0.00
;Target[001].Heading=60.0
Target[001].Heading=0.0

Judging by the tileset, it's using the VietnamSEA tiles. (only the desert and VNSEA use the gold-ish brown city tiles. IME & GCE use those silvery-gray). The farm tiles also look like VNSEA. The city TODs don't look stock; the buildilngs are too tall)

I doubt that it has something to do with a terrain. Its a formation.ini issue.

Hi,

It is not tied to the airfields, as I see it happen with aircraft formations which are in flight for some time.
I notice it ONLY happening with RED aircraft, both fighter types and bombers. So not with BLUE types...

The pic I took was from the Archipelago map, and as I said earlier I use a vanilla Formations.ini.

Thanks Wilches! But the problem still prevails. After this fix it happend with a flight of Yak-25's...
I guess I have to get used to it and ignore it.

I notice it ONLY happening with RED aircraft, both fighter types and bombers. So not with BLUE types.

That's been what I've observed, the few times I've seen it. Which is why I suggested a fault in the AI routines.

Personally, I'd just ignore it, and take the multiple kills!!!  :minigun:

• Haha 1

Hummm.... Try the on the same installation with other terrain.

I'm pretty sure this is a Formation.INI problem. I just set up a stock interception mission in a US fighter against Soviet bombers, and got the "multiple target aircraft in the one piece of airspace" problem.

I saved the mission and then edited it by changing FormationType=SovietBomber  to FormationType=USBomber, and it fixed the problem.

So my bet is that the problem is in the formation definitions for Soviet aircraft in Formation.INI.

Done some more testing, and the problem seems to be that the definition sections for the SovietBomber formation in the stock Formation.INI file did not have enough elements.

Copy this amended version of Formation.INI to your Flight folder, and the problem should be fixed.

FORMATION.INI

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2