Sign in to follow this  
KJakker

Wings of the Red Star - "Soviet Rotors"

@Gepard I was wondering if you could pick this old documentary apart? I am sure there have to be mistakes given when it was made.

• Like 2

Its a nice docu. But there are some mistakes. First the Mi-2 was not the first turbine helicopter of the USSR. First came the Mi-6, then the Mi-8 and then the Mi-2.

The Mi-8 chapter was much to short. Its the most important helicopter of the soviets. It was the basic for developing the Mi-14 ASW helicopter and the Mi-24 and later the Mi-17. The most astonishing fact is, that neither military nor political leadership wanted to have the Mi-8 (W-8 called as project and as prototype). They were satisfied with Mi-4. The main problem was Khrustchev, who was not a fan of helicopters, he loved rockets and missiles.

Mil  used some tricks to get the W-8 program to live. He sold the idea to the civil air fleet and this guys were impressed. So the W-8 developmend started. First with only one engine, the same which was used in AN-24 airplane. This was a demand of the military, which woked up and was now intersted in W-8 too. But Mil had a better idea, he wanted to have two engines made by Isotov, the TV2-117. The civil airfleet agreed. So the civil prototype was built with 2 engines, the military with one engine. During flight tests the two engine version showed much better performance. Now the military cancled the single engine W-8 program and wanted a 2 engine version too. So the Mi-8 was born.

In the docu was said, that the soviet military doctrine was against a pure combat helicopter like the AH-1 or AH-56. This is wrong. In the Khrustchev time armed and combat helicopter were "forbiten" from above. Khrustchev hated this idea. When Breshnev came to rule, the combat helicopter development was started. But with a strategy of small steps. In the first step the Mi-8 was basic for development of a "transport combat helicopter", the later Mi-8TB and Mi-8TV. In a second step a "flying infantry fighting vehicle" was developed. This step was made because the development risks of a completly new design were to high. So the Mi-8 was basic for Mi-24 development. As many parts of the Mi-8 as possibly were used in Mi-24. Parallel to Mi-24 development, the development and testing of a real combat helicopter was started. There were a couple of design studies. (One looked like a small Mi-12.) After long years the Mi-28 was born. Today the Mi-28NM is in serial production.

Edited by Gepard
  • Thanks 1

On 25/8/2020 at 10:04 PM, Gepard said:

. Parallel to Mi-24 development, the development and testing of a real combat helicopter was started. There were a couple of design studies. (One looked like a small Mi-12.)

Interesting, any pic of that proto?

3 hours ago, Stratos said:

Interesting, any pic of that proto?

Yep. here it is:

5f479d4c86abf_Mi-28KonzeptMockup1FOTOOKBMil.thumb.jpg.0c6fc69f05fab945e77b5aea992f1c4b.jpg

• Like 2

Now that's something out of a scifi movie! Really futuristic, I like it. Thanks a lot for posting it.

You find it in my book "Mi-24" on page 73.

5f47fd202e2b8_Mi-24Bookenglish.thumb.jpg.3418512dcc30f5152165711010d90e69.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a owner of the book! From some months ago

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By RUSTYMORLEY
      I recently downloaded a couple of the Helicopters from the SF 1 downloads section. I am well pleased with most of them and they indeed are a credit to the makers. Following installation of the helicopters I noticed a slight issue with the Tail Rotors. Whilst the Main Rotor appears to be moving relatively fast when the Helicopter is moving at speed, the Tail Rotor appears to be idling at a low speed.  Is there any way to alter this problem and get the Tail Rotor moving at a higher speed or consistent with Main Rotor speed. I am not an expert, but I assume that the appearance of both the Main Rotor and the Tail Rotor rotating at speed is generated by TGA files.  If I am wrong please correct me, and if you can offer advice to fix the problem I would be very grateful. It may infact be a glitch with my computer or Graphics Card failing to display the movement of the Tail Rotor correctly ! - don't know as yet.
      Thank - you in advance for any help or assistance you can offer. 

Further Information
      Am using SF1 only. Game is Wings over Europe Patched to October 2008 Alouette V1  -  issue with Tail Rotor only Bo 105  -  issue with Tail Rotor only Graphics card is Radeon RX 580 Series All other Helicopter installations display the Tail Rotor movement correctly
    • By KJakker
      I finally found a copy of this old History Channel documentary that I have wanted to share, I have not seen it in years. I also found this site about the raid. http://www.low-level-ploesti.org/

• By FANATIC MODDER

View File UH-1B, D & E of YAP for SF2V
      UH-1B, D & E of YAP for SF2V v0.1 by FANATIC MODDER

I converted the YAP data.ini of

- UH-1B Gunship

- UH-1B Heavy Hog

- UH-1D

- UH-1E

for use in the sf2.

More in detail,

- I modified the powerplant lines so it doesn't crash anymore.
      Furthermore, more realistic feel, closer to a real helicopter.
      Accurate power data.

- Gunner animation now more realistic.
      The UH-1E right gunner is finally moving.

- The Helo_Destroyed.LOD line is added.
      I am sure most you have this LOD added..

Why v0.1?

LOTs of things are needed to be done if we can say that they be upgraded
      to proper sf2 standards.

The FM still needs a lot of tuning, since empty masses are wrong,
      as are aerodynamic Coef etc. They can go up to 250 km/h top speed but don't be fooled,
      it's not because of excess power...

Be in mind that these are NOT complete add-on, just corrected data.ini for sf2 use.

You need to go the Yankee air pirate webpage to donwload them. The -B/D models are part
      of the basic pack, however if you want the -E you need to download exp pack 3 or helipack 1.

The way they are they may be not perfect for playing a campaign with them,
      however are more than adequate as AI additions to vietnam missions/campaigns.

The credit go to

- YAP for the complete model

- Yakarov79 for his help to make them sf2 compatible.
      Submitter FANATIC MODDER Submitted 10/13/2015 Category UH-1  
    • By FANATIC MODDER
      UH-1B, D & E of YAP for SF2V v0.1 by FANATIC MODDER

I converted the YAP data.ini of

- UH-1B Gunship

- UH-1B Heavy Hog

- UH-1D

- UH-1E

for use in the sf2.

More in detail,

- I modified the powerplant lines so it doesn't crash anymore.
      Furthermore, more realistic feel, closer to a real helicopter.
      Accurate power data.

- Gunner animation now more realistic.
      The UH-1E right gunner is finally moving.

- The Helo_Destroyed.LOD line is added.
      I am sure most you have this LOD added..

Why v0.1?

LOTs of things are needed to be done if we can say that they be upgraded
      to proper sf2 standards.

The FM still needs a lot of tuning, since empty masses are wrong,
      as are aerodynamic Coef etc. They can go up to 250 km/h top speed but don't be fooled,
      it's not because of excess power...

Be in mind that these are NOT complete add-on, just corrected data.ini for sf2 use.

You need to go the Yankee air pirate webpage to donwload them. The -B/D models are part
      of the basic pack, however if you want the -E you need to download exp pack 3 or helipack 1.

The way they are they may be not perfect for playing a campaign with them,
      however are more than adequate as AI additions to vietnam missions/campaigns.

The credit go to

- YAP for the complete model

- Yakarov79 for his help to make them sf2 compatible.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..