Sign in to follow this  
Chugster

Do you need to download cockpits separately from aircraft?

Or do some aircraft come with cockpits?

And if you do download them separately how can you ensure they work with the aircraft you download?

chugster, could you be a little more specific, please??? Like, any aircraft in particular??

98.6% of all aircraft downloads do come with a cockpit. Some are even the correct ones! :lol:. I do know for a fact, there are several that do not, but have referenced readily available stock 3rd Wire birds (example: the AI Vampires made flyable using the stock Hunter F1 pit). Those would include a modified cockpit ini, that has the necessary tweeks to 'center' it properly on the new bird.

But, for the most part, the answer is yes.

• Like 3

Well I was just wondering why there was a section for downloading cockpits on their own if most planes come with a cockpit?

Because the cockpits from the download section are more accurate. Its worth to give them a try.

And...

some are for aircraft that DON'T have cockpits (like the AI Migs/SUs)

Aah I see...I do have one more mod related question that I will post here instead of making a new topic...how is the quality of mods vs original plane? I.e. If i want to fly a Tomcat or F-4J should I go for a mod from here or buy the Pacific/Vietnam modules from Third Wire?

The reason I ask is sometimes mods are better quality that whats in a game due to the time the mod creator can spend on it.

Oh and how are modded maps vs orignals...can i save money by downloading modded planes/maps of the 5 module?

Modded maps are way much better than stock originals. So if you want to have stock terrain - perhaps should look for Wrench's stock terrain overhaul. Which will be better.  Other terrains  (community releases) are usually also hi-end products compared to stock. 

Just simply go to downloads - download- check - compare - decide if mods stay or not.

3 hours ago, Chugster said:

...how is the quality of mods vs original plane?

There are few aircraft that are better quality than mods (but this is my opinion so I am not gonna decide for you which is better or not). Other than that quality of community modded aircrafts are quite decent (at least that is what i heard :baby:)

Remember that community aircrafts are FREE. So again you can download - check - compare - decide.  

Now after years, I know that I wouldn't buy DLC...but now is too late. It all depends on you what you want to have in your game folder. Quantity or quality. Take it easy, Mods will be here still. This game is not going anywhere, we will be stuck here for quite some time still :pilotfly:, so nothing will change in a matter of aircraft handling (unless TK will pop up Strike Fighters 2030 and all mods from here will be unusable in any way).

• Like 1

Ok so first problem, I downloaded and tried to install the F-14 superpack and it says I either need the NA Module or the TW F14...can someone point me to this (or does TW mean Thirdwire?)

Either way is there any way to get that F-14 mod working without having the NA module?

23 minutes ago, Chugster said:

or does TW mean Thirdwire?

:good:

Generally, you need North Atlantic SF2. 

24 minutes ago, Chugster said:

Either way is there any way to get that F-14 mod working without having the NA module?

Yes, but it will not have F-14 radar capabilities that are part of SF2 North Atlantic game. 

It is HIGHLY suggested you have all 5 of the stock games -- there are many items in each of them, that are referenced in a myriad of 3rd Party Mods (tm). This is especially true for terrains and several aircraft.

It's also suggested that one have the 2 stock Expansion packs, as they not only add many aircraft, but various weapons and "other needed bits". ( for example, the older Sea Vixen references the EE Lightning's cockpit and avioncs)

I do want to get the rest of them but i dont have £120 to buy all 4 remaining modules (plus I want to increase my DCS library and payware for the new MSFS). But i did find the plane DLC section on the Thirdwire website that has an Iranian F-14...will this have the radar capabilities that I need?

iirc, those are just skins. you'd still need SF2:NA (North Atlantic) for the aircraft itself, and the associated avionics.dll

15 hours ago, Wrench said:

iirc, those are just skins. you'd still need SF2:NA (North Atlantic) for the aircraft itself, and the associated avionics.dll

The Iranian F-14 states '1 player aircraft and 2 textures sets', surely this means it will have the radar in it?

Yes. But if you do not have sf2NA....i think radar will not work.

1 hour ago, yakarov79 said:

Yes. But if you do not have sf2NA....i think radar will not work.

Well at least the situation isn't confusing :stars:

• Haha 1

Might be wrong, But NA is needed to process F-14 radar. Without it..no AvionicsF14A.dll - so no working radar.  you want to use third party community F-14. I think it also refers to avionicsF14.dll. - Meaning NA is needed. 

Honestly, you can skip DLCs. Not bringing anything important to the game.

Nort Atlantic at this point is a must. As this was technically the last upgrade of the game ( and some small downgrades but this is a different story)

Well i will be picking up a least one DLC, the F-4K, it will be nice to have both versions of the British Phantom.

And I will be picking up North Atlantic at some point (along with all the other modules), I just hoped that the single plane F-14 DLC would have the avionics file as a cheaper, short term option

Trouble is I have a lot of flight sim stuff I want to pick up in the near future now that I have my TM Warthog HOTAS including a set of desk mounts, more DCS modules (only have A10C and SU27), payware for MSFS 2020 when they start to drop and I was thinking of picking up P3D as they have some nice jets by default and there are a couple of payware phantoms I want (probably will be a long while before Phantoms are developed for MSFS)

So I need to be choosy when buying sim stuff right now

Edited by Chugster

It's a pity you missed the "All In One Package" TK offered earlier this year. It was $100 USD, and had EVERYTHING!! All 5 games, both Expansions Pack and ALL the DLCs. It was most def worth the money.  Well, water under the bridge as they say. Mabye he'll offer it again in the future?? TK you listening?? Maybe at Christmas time???? (hint  hint! wink wink, nudge nudge)