Chugster

Whats the best sim for the F-22, Eurofighter and F-35?

Whilst we are well covered for 4th gen fighters with DCS/BMS/Strike Fighters I was wondering what the best option for flying the 5th gen fighters is?

I know it will probably be mods but I just wondered what the general consenus on which sim/mod combo is the best?

Best sims about those fighter jets are very old ones, which are difficult to get to work on modern OS; EF-2000 and F-22 Total Air War by Digital Image Design, and Joint Strike Fighter by Innerloop Studios (a flight sim about the X-35 and X-32 prototypes). Those games are very complex when it comes to how to successfully use modern avionics, though their flight model/physics is obviously outdated by today's standards. For DCS, BMS and Strike Fighters you can find add-ons of those aircraft, but none of these games (with relative add-ons) can provide the depth and detail of operating such advanced platforms from the cockpit. Beware, only EF-2000 is an accurate representation of an aircraft, that is the Eurofighter. The other mentioned games only provide an hypothetical representation of the avionics of an F-22 and F-35/X-35. Even nowadays there's not much info about those, for obvious reasons.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Menrva said:

Beware, only EF-2000 is an accurate representation of an aircraft, that is the Eurofighter. 

How is the 'Eurofighter Typhoon' sequel? I picked it up cheap and was wondering if its worth persisting with to get it working properly

Not a flight sim, but a simulator anyway:

Very good at describing the doctrine around those planes (among others)

product_landscape_image.jpg

Edited by jeanba
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chugster said:

How is the 'Eurofighter Typhoon' sequel? I picked it up cheap and was wondering if its worth persisting with to get it working properly

Not worth it at all. It's an action game, where you'll have to defeat even "funny" targets like Russian prototype weapons, bombers with many turrets and EMPs, Ekranoplans and much more. It's all but a sim.

EF-2000 is a much better product. People at CombatSim (another site) created community updates for both EF-2000 and F-22 TAW by DID.

F-22 TAW 2.30 is easy to install and requires a bit of tweaking: https://community.combatsim.com/topic/20202-f-22-total-air-war-230-final-released/

EF-2000 Reloaded is just a front-end for the DOS emulator, you'll need to find the game elsewhere (DID is long gone, the game is legally considered abandonware AFAIK): https://community.combatsim.com/topic/32832-ef2000-reloaded/

Edited by Menrva

Its a shame these old games are the only sims around...they are just a bit too long on the tooth graphics-wise for me...I know it shouldnt matter but it does reduce immersion with low end graphics.

So what is the best mod, for DCS, BMS, XP11 or P3D?

23 minutes ago, Chugster said:

So what is the best mod, for DCS, BMS, XP11 or P3D?

I forgot about Prepar3d. IIRC it includes a very accurate F-22. Avionics may not totally be correct, but it's pretty close to the real thing. I only judged P3D's F-22 from some videos of it on YouTube. DCS and BMS might have some mods about those modern aircraft, but I haven't seen anything that impressed me. I hope others can provide you with more details.

Edited by Menrva

yeah. the DID's  the best we have. many hours was spended in those games. but they are  very... VeErrrRrY old

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

In DID EF-200 is a very interesting company. If you are not afraid of the graphics, buy it. You will not regret it. The game needs DOSBox to run