Skyviper

No More Shark Attacks In Army Basic Training

So ... explain to me why basic training has to be like a day camp now?

Shark attack training is a ridicolous methode to make soldiers. I think it is responsible for that american ground troops are underperforming if compared with other armies.

Old german military wisdom "take the Amis their technical advantage and they are running like chickens, because their military trainers had already broken their backbones."

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 8:23 PM, Skyviper said:

So ... explain to me why basic training has to be like a day camp now?

because regardless of what party is overall in charge of the government, this isnt Full Metal Jacket in the 1960s or even how life was in the 1990s (where yours truly started thinking his name might be shithead 3 weeks in. Actually got called by my last name after qualifying expert on the range). the Army (and all the branches really) are struggling to get new bodies in the door. so, yeah make it not so intimidating on the front end which is what the 99% that doesnt serve primarily thinks of.

meanwhile trust me, all "new Army is weak"  comments aside, the drills still have plenty of methods to put some stress on the young recruits. might prep them bettter for the real Army, since that is the slick BS corrective trainings. outside Basic and AIT, you either really have to fuck up or have a dickhead leader to get yelled at. Most NCOs are much much more ....... creative.

23 hours ago, Gepard said:

Old german military wisdom "take the Amis their technical advantage and they are running like chickens, because their military trainers had already broken their backbones."

i always liked the one attributed to some German officer (even though we all know its a false attribution) "The American Army excels at war because war is chaos, and the Americans  practice chaos everyday"

last part sums up working for Uncle Sam perfectly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

meanwhile trust me, all "new Army is weak"  comments aside, the drills still have plenty of methods to put some stress on the young recruits. might prep them bettter for the real Army, since that is the slick BS corrective trainings. outside Basic and AIT, you either really have to fuck up or have a dickhead leader to get yelled at. Most NCOs are much much more ....... creative.

Speaking as someone who went through basic in 2012, I didn't see any classic day one shark attacks, then again I was too busy getting the shit smoked out of me to notice if it happened to anyone!  But, I will attest to the creativity of some NCOs for resolving fuck ups in a garrison or deployment environment, all of which are a better alternative to having it go on paper.

• Like 1