Wrench

SF2 McDonnell F2H-2 Banshee (KAW) by Veltro2K

SF2 McDonnell F2H-2 Banshee (KAW) by Veltro2K

SF2 McDonnell F2H-2 Banshee by Veltro2K      9/15/2020

-For SF2, Any and All (Full 5 Merged Recommended)

"Quarantine Approved - Essential Mods"

This package contains a new aircraft, the McDonnell F2H-2 Banshee, as used by the US Navy during the Korean War. That being said, this package =ONLY= contains those units that participated in the conflict. There are 4 units (skins) included in this package. In chronological order:

VF-172 Blue Bolts (USS ESSEX, 1951)
VF-11 Red Rippers (USS KEARSARGE, 1952)
VF-22 Cavaliers -
VF-62 Gladiators (both aboard USS LAKE CHAMPLAIN, 1953)

The textureset inis for all skins has a listing of the exact dates of deployment.

All markings, excepting squadron color bands, are decals. Decal Randomization is TRUE. 24 Modex numbers are supplied for each unit. The 24 'data plaque" BuNums are a pool shared among all the aircraft. Those units that are listed in the game's Squadron List, have their Displayed Name activated by my Patent-Pending 'Fake SqTail' decal. All weapons, sounds, and a pilot figure are supplied. New "box-art" style hangar and loading screens are also included, as is a spare "photo" style loading screen if you get bored with the painting.
Wingfold and canopy operations are the Standard Animation Keystrokes (tm), Shift/0 (zero) for the canopy, and Shift/9 for the wings.

When in-game, you'll see

F2H-2 Banshee (V2K)

on the aircraft selection drop-down list. This will diferentiate it from any other Banshees you may, or may not, have.

As is always recommended, unzip to a temp folder or your desktop to give easy access to the rest of this readme for it's install instructions. Also, =PLEASE= read the 'Notes' section for other IMPORTANT information on in-game operations.

Happy Landings!
Wrench
Kevin Stein

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Hi

Nice one, tried several strike missions over Korea :)

Is the cockpit a dedicated cockpit ?

Is it based on another plane ?

9 minutes ago, jeanba said:

Hi

Nice one, tried several strike missions over Korea :)

Is the cockpit a dedicated cockpit ?

Is it based on another plane ?

This is why readmes are supplied m8 lol....

Credits:

Veltro2K for the aircraft
??? for the cockpit (borrowed from F9F-2 Panther, bobrock??)
Me for everything els

Yep, from the Wings Over Korea mod credits

F9F-2:
Bobrock: 3D model, cockpit

Believe me, if I could have sneaked RazBam's Banjo cockpit into this, I would have. But as it's payware ... so

trust me, they already went through this file with a tootpick

• Thanks 1

Thank you

I should update my Panther install because "my cockpit" is really "first gen" compared to this one.

Edited by jeanba

Very nice. But really, the model could benefit from nicer UV mapping (at least 2-3 sheets for skins*), bumps, and specular maps.

2-3  skin sheets in 2048 will work smoother than one in 4096. 

..and rear view mirrors as well.

Then build me the right fucking cockpit then

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great aircraft. I'm having pleasure flying it. I even take-off with the cockpit open as per the NATOPS Flight Manual.

I had to alter the data file to get the HVARs attached. You had USN attachments, but you have to add NATO, then it's fine.

I thought the Fuel gauge wasn't working because it always showed full, even when I was flying all waypoints at full throttle, and with my fuel options set to hard. I discovered that if I just filled 25% fuel, I could get a reasonable range and return to the boat with just the right amount of fuel to land at 110 Kts as per manual. Perfect.

As to landing on the straight deck, I have experienced the gliding to a stop at the prow most times, but I did get one hook miss, and had to full throttle and bolter to avoid going over the front. I once saw a Navy film about deck accidents, and the message was always "If XXX happens, PUNCH OUT!" The ESC key helps here.

I took a look at the Banshee on deck, from the side, and the hook does not touch the deck. It's a little high when down. So it occurs to me that either the hook is too high, or the wires on the boat are too low. I really wouldn't know where to experiment with altering these parameters. And presumably, you already tried them.

Thanks for the plane.

yes, we tried everything. it's even stated in the read me.

physically, the hook does NOT have to touch the deck. the length parameters are in the data ini, so that's where the "contact' happens. There are even aircraft here, dating back to 1stGens that are carrier capable, that don't even HAVE hooks on the physical model, that catch the wire just fine. so ... there ya go

I did think about extending the hook by numbers, rather than physically. I noticed in the readme that you said you'd tried everything, so I was just checking.

Here's the thing: I actually did a full arrest trap. She bounced around a bit, but she was hooked and came to a full stop way before the end of the superstructure. That was when I was carrying full fuel. But that was also when I was on a slant deck carrier. Which may have had higher wires, and certainly had them grouped further along the deck. The tyre marks on the straight deck are very near the end of the aft deck, so you have to get in early

Since I enjoy flying the aircraft, enjoy bombing, enjoy putting 20mm into MiGs and watching them explode, and enjoy carrier traps, I will learn to enjoy trying different techniques to trap on the straight deck.

PS: As per readme advice, I just downloaded the Ticonderoga

Edited by alexis99
extra information
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:50 PM, yakarov79 said:

Very nice. But really, the model could benefit from nicer UV mapping (at least 2-3 sheets for skins*), bumps, and specular maps.

2-3  skin sheets in 2048 will work smoother than one in 4096. 

speak up in our room :declare::wink:

Here I am successfully trapped, on the SBC. It's a technique thing.

Being convinced that the problem is either the wires are too low, or the hook is too short. I tried a technique which would get them closer together.

So I came in at 110 Kts, placed the flight-path-marker on the deck, and at the last moment, raised the nose slightly and cut power. Bingo - successful trap.

It's actually how you should do it, but because the sim is so forgiving, you can usually nose down to the deck on most carriers and trap easily. With the SCB and jets, clearly you cannot.

Not got a flight path marker? I suggest you install one.

SCB Banshee.JPG

This is a successful trap on the Ticonderoga. The landing parameters are not as critical

img00025.JPG

With reference to the rear view mirrors (lack of) and the instruction "Then build me the right fucking cockpit then ", I seem to recollect back in SF1 we used the vanilla A-4A/A-4B to serve as a Banshee/Panther cockpit. The A-4 has two mirrors, good grouping of clearly readable instruments, and fairly close windshield shape. It's also got two waypoint distance counters. The only massive fail is the style of the HUD projector, and the general grey colour all over.

However, It works well in this SF2 Banshee, especially with a lick of blue paint around the windshield frame.

So until Wilches gets his finger out and does what Wrench tells him, I think this is a pretty good option.

Wrench knows me. I´m a Rivet Counter with a big mouth! I´ll skip that!:biggrin: