Sign in to follow this  
Chugster

Re-installed and controls are squiffy?

So i decided to do a complete reinstall and after I reassigned various controls to my HOTAS most of them are wrong ingame, not activating what i set them to, my axis are fine, just the buttons.

Everything was fine before so I have no idea what I have done wrong aside from add some other modules...does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Chugster

What for you  all reinstall the game? the game is portable. Control settings is in the control folder

Edited by bazillius
misprint

I'm sorry, but if indeed it didn't help. there is zero reason to be rude about it, Baziillus first language, is not English, so be a little understanding about peoples comments when they maybe  do not come across perfectly. I am sure he was only trying to make a courteous comment. I have noticed a few  occasions , where you have asked questions, and when members reply, TRYING to assist you, that you either do not reply , and acknowledge, or you make rather sharp comment.....basically, if you aint got anything good to say, say nothing....End of DIT !!  :censored:  

Edited by trotski00
  • Like 1

There is a "Controls" folder in your Mod folder (if you have one). Unfortunately, if you did not save the .txt file you will have to remap your controls in the Options menu. Once everything is remapped, copy the file to your install folder so if you ever have to reinstall again, your settings can be copied back to your Options folder. It's also kinda nice to have if you do a stand-alone mod, just copy that file and you will not have to remap everything again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeargasHorse said:

There is a "Controls" folder in your Mod folder (if you have one). Unfortunately, if you did not save the .txt file you will have to remap your controls in the Options menu. Once everything is remapped, copy the file to your install folder so if you ever have to reinstall again, your settings can be copied back to your Options folder. It's also kinda nice to have if you do a stand-alone mod, just copy that file and you will not have to remap everything again.

I did remap...but some of the controls when actually in flight don't match what I just mapped them to...i.e the button I mapped 'radar on' to actually turned on ecm. But the buttons mapped flaps and gear are fine. 

Edited by Chugster

7 hours ago, trotski00 said:

I'm sorry, but if indeed it didn't help. there is zero reason to be rude about it, Baziillus first language, is not English, so be a little understanding about peoples comments when they maybe  do not come across perfectly. I am sure he was only trying to make a courteous comment. I have noticed a few  occasions , where you have asked questions, and when members reply, TRYING to assist you, that you either do not reply , and acknowledge, or you make rather sharp comment.....basically, if you aint got anything good to say, say nothing....End of DIT !!  :censored:  

Sir, I have been posting on boards for almost 20 years and the one thing that annoys me most is when people come into a thread where a question is asked and either don't read it properly, ask a redundant question or post a useless comment. 

Trust me that was a statement of truth and nothing else. To paraphrase... 'If you ain't got anything useful to say, say nothing' 

I apologise if I caused offence but I have no time for unhelpful posts in a thread where I have a probkem

Edited by Chugster
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

i just wanna say that you can backup your controls folder next time. i think this is VITAL information ;) for knowing

Edited by bazillius
misprint

1 hour ago, bazillius said:

i just wanna say that you can backup your controls folder next time. i think this is VITAL information ;) for knowing

Yeah, next time I certainly will next time i reinstall.

Now I just need to work out why most of my controls dont match what I mapped them to...never seen anything like this in a game before

Edited by Chugster

Ok I went to my recycle bin to find my old controls ini file, restored it and the controls in the options menu were all 'unassigned'...I restored the 'broken' file and they are all back but they still dont match in flight

Why doesnt the inflight control mapping match the one in the option menu (and control ini file)?

Edited by Chugster

7 hours ago, Chugster said:

Sir, I have been posting on boards for almost 20 years and the one thing that annoys me most is when people come into a thread where a question is asked and either don't read it properly, ask a redundant question or post a useless comment. 

Trust me that was a statement of truth and nothing else. To paraphrase... 'If you ain't got anything useful to say, say nothing' 

I apologise if I caused offence but I have no time for unhelpful posts in a thread where I have a probkem

Don't call me Sir, I ain't a Knight, or an Officer, I can both read a map, and make my own tea !!  As for posting on boards for so long, as have most of us on here , and yes at times there are idiotic, or inconsequential comments, however most of us just live with them and either laugh ( because usually the offending comment is  sarcastic humour ) or move past it, no need to get irritated, as in the main, this site is very helpful and constructive . In summary, sometimes a perfectly viable solution ( As Bazillus's was ) may not be posed in a way that is immediately understandable, usually due to the fact that the author of said comment , is maybe using a second language , and the English is maybe a little hard to decipher, but if you stare at it long enough, you can usually get the gist of the authors meaning. Sorry to have a pop at you like this, as I usually keep my own council, however....................

Edited by trotski00
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, trotski00 said:

Don't call me Sir, I ain't a Knight, or an Officer, I can both read a map, and make my own tea !!  As for posting on boards for so long, as have most of us on here , and yes at times there are idiotic, or inconsequential comments, however most of us just live with them and either laugh ( because usually the offending comment is  sarcastic humour ) or move past it, no need to get irritated, as in the main, this site is very helpful and constructive . In summary, sometimes a perfectly viable solution ( As Bazillus's was ) may not be posed in a way that is immediately understandable, usually due to the fact that the author of said comment , is maybe using a second language , and the English is maybe a little hard to decipher, but if you stare at it long enough, you can usually get the gist of the authors meaning. Sorry to have a pop at you like this, as I usually keep my own council, however....................

I just want to fix my game...do you have any ideas?

What a lot of us do, is make multiple installs , primarily for setting up alternative scenarios, IE. I have one that is called test pilot , and I use it for any skinning stuff I am doing, and what I do is set up the controls and keybinds in the first or original install, then copy the  pertinent file across to any other installs you may have , thus you dont need to change any key set ups, or graphical options from one install to another, as they are then ( if you do what I suggested ) all a clone of each other . Also I tend to keep a back up copy of the file, just in case of any nasty incidents where you need to reinstall for any particular reason , obviously keep the file separate from the game.....I know that seems obvious, but one can overlook this in error. As for why your file that you pasted over doesn't work, I have no answer for that, the sim can be a little cantankerous at times, and sometimes it means you just have to bite the bullet and start from scratch. On my part, I have never run into this issue . Maybe someone else has . 

Edited by trotski00

Ok so what do i need to have multiples of, the install folder or the 'saves' folder? And if its the latter how do you get the game to see different 'save' folders?

I will give it a day or two to see if anyone can help me fix this...but if not I will try a 2nd reinstall and see what happens.

Edited by Chugster

Did you delete the original default.ini, start the game and let it build a new one? THEN try and remap from in-game?

or...

did you try setting the default ini manually? via a text editor? It just opens in Notepad

THEN..

make it read only.

and then just copy/paste in back into the /Controls folder. and now you have a backup

many of us have experienced the 'what the fuck auto remapping of keys'. it's some glitch that seems (imo) associated with SF2NA, but I'm not sure. (sort of like the wind-up toy sounds in NA)

Since I have multiple installs, and "known good" default inis, I just swap them between the various mods folders

That worked, deleted, remapped and all was fine...not sure why it works this time and not when i reinstalled it as i deleted the saves folder before i reinstalled.

As you say...WTF auto remap...still...back to the skies :P

• Like 1

If you go to the archives on here, there is a really good guide on how to make multi installs , each new "copy" will have its own save game folders , and if you do as  Wrench says in his comment  above, you should have no issues, as I said I have several installs, all doing slightly different things,  but they all have the same default.ini ....Go take a look at the guides in here and it explains it very well how to do it, that is why none of us will put the procedure in a forum, as it has already been written. 

15 hours ago, Chugster said:

I did remap...but some of the controls when actually in flight don't match what I just mapped them to...i.e the button I mapped 'radar on' to actually turned on ecm. But the buttons mapped flaps and gear are fine. 

If you open the .txt file you can edit the button directly. It is possible that the program is reading another button at the same time, so instead of Joystick01_button09, it is seeing Joystick01_button09+button23....just a fake example. If you check the .config you can see what it's seeing.

Defaults are:

ECM_TOGGLE=Z

TOGGLE_RADAR=CTRL+PGUP

My set is:

ECM_TOGGLE=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON09
TOGGLE_RADAR=R

Go to the knowledge base. Read. Most questions answered by simply searching. 

Please define, "squiffy." About 99% of humans, don't know what that means, it would be really difficult to get help. Using alien terms.

Ah

8 hours ago, CrazyhorseB34 said:

Go to the knowledge base. Read. Most questions answered by simply searching. 

Please define, "squiffy." About 99% of humans, don't know what that means, it would be really difficult to get help. Using alien terms.

Squiffy, is a term to describe a feeling of being "off" for example, one would feel somewhat squiffy, if the Butler fails to deliver ones afternoon Tea and Crumpets, or if ones Bordeaux is served at anything but the correct temperature. It is and indeed can be used to describe ones general health, for example , One feels somewhat squiffy today , one really must not partake so liberally of the  hors' douevres  at the club old boy, however the term can also be replaced in this instance with the word Collywobbles, if one is addressing ones Mater, or ones Nursie , when dealing with enquiries into ones health and well being. 

So broadly translated into World Speak, ( wish these foreign Johnnys would use and understand an Englishman when he speaks !! ) it can mean anything from FUBAR to knackered, or on the fritz, or up shit creek without a paddle......Seriously how common is this vile usage of our beloved English language, squiffy is a most wonderful and descriptive word with multiple uses, and may be used to convey many emotions or feelings, without getting too over excited and "Foreign" 

I do so hope that this is an adequate explanation for all to read and understand. Pip pip old bean .

• Haha 3

Hell, even I've used squiffy; not only as an American, but a Californian!! :biggrin:

btw, great description, trotski!! :drinks:

• Haha 2

Thanks Trotski that is by far the funniest thing I have read in a week! :biggrin:

I am going to start using that word everyday!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2