Sign in to follow this  
alexis99

Where do extracted files go in SF2?

Are extracted files used in a different way in SF2 than in SF1? And is SF2 North Atlantic even more different?

I have the April 3rd wire tools downloaded.

I extracted the HUD.ini from SF2NA in order to reduce the size of the on-screen text. In SF2NA it looks massive on my 27" screen in 1920x1080.

I altered the HUD.ini to give a smaller font.

I placed the altered HUD.ini in the FLIGHT folder of SF2NA as I always did with extracted SF1 files in the SF1 FLIGHT folder.

Nothing changed.

What am I doing wrong, please?

you mean the HUDData.ini, right???

like russ said, in the /Flight folder of the MODS folder

thusly:

folder-1.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I tried that. I created a FLIGHT folder in the User/SavedGames/ThirdWire/StrikeFighters2 folder, because there wasn't a FLIGHT folder.

I extracted the HUDDATA.ini and placed it in that FLIGHT folder. Then I modified the HUDDATA.ini. Nothing changed in the game.

But when I moved the HUDDATA.ini out of the FLIGHT folder, and left it in the main User/SavedGames/ThirdWire/StrikeFighters2 folder, it worked.

Based on what you're saying, if I modify the Cockpit.ini of the F-14, I should put it in User/SavedGames/ThirdWire/StrikeFighters2/Objects/F-14?

And I'm assuming that if I download a new SF2 aircraft, I should put it in User/SavedGames/ThirdWire/StrikeFighters2/Objects.

I can see the logic of the new mod structure. It's very clever.

Thank you

Don't forget the knowledge base -- look for the post "what is the mods folder" or words to that effect

Thanks that's a good tip.

I'm new to SF2. My WinXP machine went AWOL, so I'm now on Win 10 and SF2 runs perfectly. So a lot of catching up to do.

Confession: I called the new Folder "FlightData", not "Flight". So my bad.

• Like 1

you'll find that the folder structure in the mods folder is (pretty much) identical to what you're used to in SF/Wo*. With the exception of NOT having certain folder already there. As you've discovered. But, as you've also discovered, that's a pretty simple fix! <gr>

The excuse is that I have several FLIGHTDATA folders in the FLIGHT folder.

They are named for Different aircraft. So FLIGHTDATA_A-6A, FLIGHTDATA_A-7E etc

In each FLIGHTDATA folder is a HUD.ini for that particular aircraft. Some have Radar pop-ups, some RWR pop-ups, some have both, all particularly tailored to a specific aircraft.

So if I'm going to fly the A-6A, I just grab the HUDDATA.ini out of the FLIGHTDATA_A-6A folder and overwrite the current file.

Should have created a FLIGHT folder, but had FLIGHTDATA in my head.