Sign in to follow this  
Chugster

Looking for hi res, large versions of these old phantom pics

I was just wondering if anyoen had any hi res versions of these two pictures. They are from the first aircraft book I got as a child called 'Pictorial History of Aircraft' by David Mondey.

These 2 pictures are what made me fall in love with the PHantom and I would love some better quality versions:

50471241008_89746c2773_c.jpg

D2CDQpvXcAAWNan.jpg

Oh and if anyone knows exactly what model the one in the first pic is that would be amazing

Edited by Chugster

top one ..

no IRST below the nose, possible a USN J model or if USAF, C/D maybe

(unless it's an RAF or FAA version)

No RWR on the top of the fin. No visible antennas sticking up on the spine.

Suspect the top one is a USAF F-4C/D, you can see that the leading edge of the starboard inboard wing pylon curves down. That was a distinguishing feature of USAF F-4s. On USN/USMC/RN/RAF F-4s, the inboard wing pylons had a straight leading edge, as on the RAF FG1 in the lower picture.

BTW, for completeness the bottom one is a Phantom FG1 of 43 Sqn, RAF Leuchars*, circa 1969-1972, but you probably know that! By 1973 most RAF Phantoms were wearing the red/blue “tactical” roundel (which should have been the Type E, but was never formally designated) in place of the red/white/blue Type D roundels in the pic.

43 didn’t use FGR2s, it was formed on FG1s originally ordered for the Fleet Air Arm (likely for 899 Sqn on HMS EAGLE), but rendered surplus to RN requirements when the 1960s Wilson government decided that the Navy didn’t need aircraft carriers any more. 

*20 miles from my home town.  In my high school years we saw and/or heard 43 Sqn ‘Tooms (and 5 & 23 Sqn Frightnings) overhead almost daily 🙂🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mike Dora said:

Suspect the top one is a USAF F-4C/D, you can see that the leading edge of the starboard inboard wing pylon curves down. That was a distinguishing feature of USAF F-4s. On USN/USMC/RN/RAF F-4s, the inboard wing pylons had a straight leading edge, as on the RAF FG1 in the lower picture.

BTW, for completeness the bottom one is a Phantom FG1 of 43 Sqn, RAF Leuchars*, circa 1969-1972, but you probably know that! By 1973 most RAF Phantoms were wearing the red/blue “tactical” roundel (which should have been the Type E, but was never formally designated) in place of the red/white/blue Type D roundels in the pic.

43 didn’t use FGR2s, it was formed on FG1s originally ordered for the Fleet Air Arm (likely for 899 Sqn on HMS EAGLE), but rendered surplus to RN requirements when the 1960s Wilson government decided that the Navy didn’t need aircraft carriers any more. 

*20 miles from my home town.  In my high school years we saw and/or heard 43 Sqn ‘Tooms (and 5 & 23 Sqn Frightnings) overhead almost daily 🙂🙂

I  figured it was a US bird, I completely fell in love with that silouhette.

And I do love the 'Fighting Cocks'...I bought a book in my teenage years about a pilot who flew FG1s in 43rd out of Leuchars (Robert Prest)...very good read if you like Phantoms

Unfortunately, being a southerner I never saw a Phantom fly...only started going to Airshows after it retired...just hoping they get one of the ones at Duxford flying at some point

Edited by Chugster