Hello!

I'm looking at purchasing SF2 Vietnam. I haven't played any of the Strike Fighters series.

I'm coming from the IL2 sims (BoS, CoD, 1946) most recently, Jane's before that, Comanche v. Hokum and several others.

I'm wondering where SF fits with other sims in terms of realism, flight feel, etc. I'm not interested in a DCS level of complexity but I also don't want to play an arcade feel like War Thunder.

Where does SF fit with other sims for realism?

Does SF2 Vietnam run on Win10?

I'm running a DelanClip with OpenTrack. Does anyone know how well SF2 interacts with that setup?

Thanks a bunch for tolerating a noob asking so many questions.

Best to all!

Its not hardcore sim but its good enough....the modders have made it so much better...some terrains ,effects ,etc...sometimes it looks as good as dcs....plenty of stuff \ add ons to make ur enjoyment of it complete...it lacks some things that fsx \ dcs do but nevertheless its still a capable sim.....

I run em all on win10 no problem...we are also expecting a new dx version update...but no sign yet...but it is coming.....this is because we had problems with dx and unlimited effects were porked...nvidia that is...but funny enough nvidia drivers now work with it....lol

plus...look in downloads...we have 1000`s of files to add.....also a lot of a\c you wont find anywhere else.

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 3

I don't know OpenTrack, but I do use TrackIR5 with little or no issues (have to calibrate the center before launching the game, and sometimes the game doesn't load the Tracker). There are loads of mods for environmental, terrains etc, that will enhance the realism from vanilla. This series is referred to as a "lite sim" meaning that the learning curve in hard mode is not as exotic as IL2 or DCS. It's meant to be fun, and it is. IMO the most difficult aspect to learn is dropping dumb bombs without a CCIP, but there are tutorials in the download section.

Good luck, have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll give it a go.

Does anyone know if SF2 works with TacView?

Bought it. :D

So much learning to do now.

OpenTrack worked with no issues. One thing I noticed from a quick flight was the inability to see completely back to your six, at least in the F4. Is that intentional, as you're strapped in with all the gear keeping you from getting all the way around?

yes, the cockpits all have the limited view; like in Real Live (tm) you can only turn you head so far

I like that. It will take me some time to get used to it.

There are some beautiful mods here. Much respect to the community for their work on this game!

6 hours ago, bearnoceros said:

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll give it a go.

Does anyone know if SF2 works with TacView?

That's a good question, did you try it and see as I don't have Tacview to confirm or deny if it works.

There is no flight recorder  in-game so you're out of luck with that. 

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

That's a good question, did you try it and see as I don't have Tacview to confirm or deny if it works.

I asked the creator of TacView if it worked in SF2. He said no, and there were no plans to.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bearnoceros said:

One thing I noticed from a quick flight was the inability to see completely back to your six, at least in the F4. Is that intentional, as you're strapped in with all the gear keeping you from getting all the way around?

You can disable the view pitch and yaw limit in the VIEWLIST.INI with

[ViewClass002]
ViewClassName=CockpitViewClass
LimitPitch=FALSE
LimitYaw=FALSE

• Like 1

Thanks for checking, @ragnarokryan! I'm just finding out how many devs are on this forum. That's awesome!

And thanks, @mue! I'll have to decide if I like the realism or want more view freedom to get used to jets.

I don't think there are any devs like 3W devs, just players that know the game well, that modded it and just aware of many of the problems and features that the game has.

11 hours ago, bearnoceros said:

Thanks for checking, @ragnarokryan! I'm just finding out how many devs are on this forum. That's awesome!

And thanks, @mue! I'll have to decide if I like the realism or want more view freedom to get used to jets.

If you are referring to me, I appreciate that but I am most definitely not a producer - I'm firmly in the consumer camp. You can tell the real producers when you start downloading the excellent mods. There is some stunning work to be found here!

I'm curious to know how your view limiting experiment goes. I haven't done the trick above yet, but I would imagine that the cockpit gets in the way of your view like it does in real life. The artificial limit on the cockpit view seems a little excessive; to me at least.

@mue, I looked for the viewlist.ini in the user and root game folder without finding it. Do you know where it typically lives?

While digging around in the config files, I saw info about multiplayer. Did that ever get off the ground?

I'm running SF2 Vietnam with RealSky and Green Hell currently. Good grief it looks good.

I have Falcon 4.0 with BMS installed but I haven't learned it. I turned it on last night to compare and SF2V modded looks incredible compared to BMS.

Well done to the folks here for making SF2 look and feel great!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bearnoceros said:

@mue, I looked for the viewlist.ini in the user and root game folder without finding it. Do you know where it typically lives?

While digging around in the config files, I saw info about multiplayer. Did that ever get off the ground?

You must extract VIEWLIST.INI from FlightData.CAT (located somewhere in the game install directory tree, I think in the Flight folder). To extract the file you need a cat extractor program. You can use the cat extractor from the 3W toolkit or the one from Mues Toolbox.
VIEWLIST.INI must be extracted into <mod folder>/Flight/

Neither SF2 games support multiplayer. The multiplayer entries you found are legacy from the SF1 games.

• Like 1