Sign in to follow this  
ponyboy314

No carriers in SF2 Vietnam?

I know that this has been covered in this forum, but I am not quite as savvy as many of you are about such things, so all I can do presently is admit that I can't, for the life of me, understand the solutions.

When I try to fly a navy campaign, and set the game to "at home base" rather than "in the air, near the target", there is no carrier.  My plane (I have tried this with both the A-1 Skyraider and A-4 Skyhawk) is literally sitting on top of my wingman's plane, which itself appears to be floating on the water.  I can still take off, but why no carrier?  Is there a way to get one?  Am I doing something wrong?  Are there just no carriers in the game? 

It's getting frustrating, and I am about to just delete the whole game and pack it in. 

Any helpful reply will be appreciated.

safe to assume "home built' single missions???

without extensive modifications to the terrain, covered elsewhere, it won't work. (notwithstanding the VNSEA terrain doesn't really have the sea room for proper CV zones ala NA)

CVs only show up in the campaign, as they're built into the campaign ini (location and such)

8 hours ago, Wrench said:

safe to assume "home built' single missions???

without extensive modifications to the terrain, covered elsewhere, it won't work. (notwithstanding the VNSEA terrain doesn't really have the sea room for proper CV zones ala NA)

CVs only show up in the campaign, as they're built into the campaign ini (location and such)

No, actually.  Carriers don't show up in anything.  Even in stock campaigns, I'm still sitting on top of my wingman's plane, which is floating on the sea.  Weird, I know.

I have to ask this question, and you'll see why:

is this the full game purchased from 3rd Wire??

there are a lot of illeagal copies out there, and most are NOT full versions. They're sometime missing critical components or are outdated versions. This happens at least twice a year (someone complaining the game isn't doing this or that, and turns out they have a pirated copy. This is just CYA for us)

now, having said that, and seen your other posts of your difficulties, I'd likely believe that something is missing from your game setups. Have you looked in the /GroundObjects folder to see if the carriers actually are there?? Same for the AAA and SAMs you mentioned in the other thread

Last night I started a navy campaign in SF2V with the Scooter, and bingo! sitting on the cat on the bow of INTREPID. Started another with the F-4, an the same.

my suggestion is to start completly over. Delete the mods folder in it's entirety. Delete the game completly  Start the entire process fresh, from the install exe. 

then test the game, and see what happens.

26 minutes ago, Wrench said:

I have to ask this question, and you'll see why:

is this the full game purchased from 3rd Wire??

there are a lot of illeagal copies out there, and most are NOT full versions. They're sometime missing critical components or are outdated versions. This happens at least twice a year (someone complaining the game isn't doing this or that, and turns out they have a pirated copy. This is just CYA for us)

now, having said that, and seen your other posts of your difficulties, I'd likely believe that something is missing from your game setups. Have you looked in the /GroundObjects folder to see if the carriers actually are there?? Same for the AAA and SAMs you mentioned in the other thread

Last night I started a navy campaign in SF2V with the Scooter, and bingo! sitting on the cat on the bow of INTREPID. Started another with the F-4, an the same.

my suggestion is to start completly over. Delete the mods folder in it's entirety. Delete the game completly  Start the entire process fresh, from the install exe. 

then test the game, and see what happens.

Full game, purchased directly from 3rd Wire.  Oh, and btw, I haven't mentioned any other problems.  This is my only thread.

sorry, I got confused with the other poster's thread

Try the expansion packs in the campaigns download section it has a lot of carriers for campaign 

Gents, in my SFV2 I have a full carrier ops in single missions. Set the NavalMap=TRUE and sea map with no probs.

19 minutes ago, Wilches said:

Gents, in my SFV2 I have a full carrier ops in single missions. Set the NavalMap=TRUE and sea map with no probs.

No idea what that means.  Where is Navalmap?  That should give you an idea how new and ignorant I am about SF.  All these years, I've been an Il-2 1946 kind of guy.

open the terrain ini this is madagasgar sea.ini

[Terrain]
TerrainFullName=Madagascar, Southeast Africa (1977-2018)
DataFile=MadagascarSEA_DATA.INI
TargetFile=MadagascarSEA_TARGETS.INI
TargetTypeFile=MadagascarSEA_TYPES.INI
MovementFile=MadagascarSEA_MOVEMENT.INI
NationsFile=MadagascarSEA_NATIONS.INI
LocationMap=MadagascarSEA_LOCATION.bmp
WaterMap=MadagascarSEA_WATER.bmp
BriefingText=MadagascarSEA_BRIEFING.INI
DogfightFile=MadagascarSEA_DOGFIGHT.INI
DogfightOnly=FALSE
LimitedNations=TRUE
Longitude=35.00
Latitude=-10.00
MagneticVariation=-11
GroundObjectTexture=Green
NavalMap=TRUE
TerrainType=TILE_BASED
CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat

and he'll STILL need the VNSEA _water.bmp to enable CV ops. you can't just add a single line to the ini. 

-------

and the question still needs to be answered if all the necessary ships are resident in the /GroundObjects folder.

• Like 2