Sign in to follow this  
Flapsfull

SEAD, but barely anyone is shooting at me?!(Vanilla SF2:V)

Hi everyone,

am flying a stock vanilla install of SF2:Vietnam and enjoying it a lot. However one issue I noticed is, when I fly single missions and select SEAD as mission type,

hardly anyone is ever really shooting at me.That goes for SAMs as well as AAA. Even though  general enemy skill level is set to hard and the enemy ground activity

within the mission parameters set to heavy, I can still leisurely coast in between 5000-8000ft fly straight over the target area and no one seems to be really making an

effort to shoot me down. I'm very very rarely if at all locked up by ground radar, despite my efforts to make to it easier for them by flying at medium altitude.

Very very seldom do I ever see a SAM coming up and then its usually targeted at another aircraft  and some times even flying at low altittude straight at the AAA batteries

results in no tracers coming up .

Am I doing something wrong , or is there another setting to tweak?

I also tried a later date  in the 70s , to see if more heavy defense is now built up, but no.

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Flapsfull

North Vietnam 1966 to 1972 was usually okay regarding SAMs but depends what you want to compare it with.

You can have the skies filled with tracer if you like but requires a bit of modding - example you can easily create a separate install so you dont mess up your current one and try this out because I think it has levels of defence - but there is about 6 parts. Failing that see if there are any separate Mods that up the defence level.

This is quite strange... Stock Vietnam terrain seems to have more effective air defenses than other terrains. I had made a similar topic some years ago: 

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/87040-vietnam-terrain-improves-red-side-sam-performance/?tab=comments#comment-700997

In Vietnam the SA-2F Guideline performs much better than others terrains. 

indeed, there's PLENTY of AAA/SAMs in the stock game.

• Like 1

Agreed as if I run a modern setting I got so many SAMs and AAA that I don't know what to do but pray I survive. It's not that bad but it's something to worry about though.

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

thank you for your answers. Its strange. I tested it some more . There seems to be some variation. I flew a few missions where I at least got locked up by radar a couple

of times and even got the occasional SAM fired at me  and even hit me once or twice, then again,  I didn't really maneuver  for evasion.

Maybe my expectattions were simply off a bit , as I was somehow anticipating lots of SAMS in the air and curtains 

of AAA tracers lower down during SEAD missions.

So far I did not encounter that intensity.But  its  not a huge problem for me, I like the sim for what it is enough already.

@ MigBuster: Thanks a lot for the link to the expansion Pack! I might give that try once I  have better understanding of the modding folder process , with various installs of 

the different titles.

It still a bit unclear to me, but I found a sticky topic on it and even a Ytube tutorial , so  sooner or later will likely dive into it.

Thanks again all & Kind regards,

Flapsfull

Edited by Flapsfull

@Wrench,

read your comment in the other topic regarding incomplete / out of date non-offical , illegal game versions  missing key components.

Just for info , this is not the case here, it's a full buy and download from the official 3rd Wire Website.

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Flapsfull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually in series 1 in the GOING downtown missions, for example, with eburgers fantastic pack, I have sometimes up to 8-9 sam in the air.

Series 2 (last patch) , with the same eburger package has as much as 2-3 sam in the air.

Everything on hard settings, and even added a few SEPARATE arease for sam site in hanoi

Series 2 has much less SAM activity then series 1.

Edited by Canadair

I noticed the same problem accept I don't have to be flying a SEAD. I was flying with an AI F-4G it fired an ARM at a SAM site likely saving my a$$. This was in Desert Terrain. I have multiple MOD installs that are  modded in most cases heavily. Not sure what would mess with SAMs though. Oh, can you just add a for example a SA-3 when using the mission editor and it will shoot or do you have to build a complete SAM site?  I will try the forum more tomorrow cuz i miss my SAMs.

On 2/9/2021 at 8:46 PM, Canadair said:

Series 2 has much less SAM activity then series 1.

I thought as much. I believe this was a "quick fix" by TW for performance reasons, just like view distance for TODs being severely reduced in the stock game by the last official patches. By simply putting a limit to active SAM sites, you get less missiles, less effects and less ground objects. It's a pity it is so.

Edited by Menrva

On 10/20/2020 at 11:36 AM, Flapsfull said:

Hi everyone,

am flying a stock vanilla install of SF2:Vietnam and enjoying it a lot. However one issue I noticed is, when I fly single missions and select SEAD as mission type,

hardly anyone is ever really shooting at me.That goes for SAMs as well as AAA. Even though  general enemy skill level is set to hard and the enemy ground activity

within the mission parameters set to heavy, I can still leisurely coast in between 5000-8000ft fly straight over the target area and no one seems to be really making an

effort to shoot me down. I'm very very rarely if at all locked up by ground radar, despite my efforts to make to it easier for them by flying at medium altitude.

Very very seldom do I ever see a SAM coming up and then its usually targeted at another aircraft  and some times even flying at low altittude straight at the AAA batteries

results in no tracers coming up .

Am I doing something wrong , or is there another setting to tweak?

I also tried a later date  in the 70s , to see if more heavy defense is now built up, but no.

Kind regards,

Snappy

Barely anyone is shooting at you ? Well do this three little things and you will wish never had complainted about that :

- stuff your groundObject folder with SAM batteries

- in single mission menu set Enemy Air Defense to HEAVY

- and if you want to spice it a bit more, set Enemy Air Activity to HEAVY, too.

If , after doing all that, you can still reach the target, in one piece, please let me know :)

Edited by UllyB
  • Haha 1

Depending on the era, just switching SA-8 from MOBILE_SAM to MOBILE_AAA can spice things a bit

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, macelena said:

Depending on the era, just switching SA-8 from MOBILE_SAM to MOBILE_AAA can spice things a bit

Yes. And Osa can be hard to avoid. Sometimes you can not go lower anymore - below ground level :biggrin:. Personally, in all my instals (involving "modern" SAMs), I have Osa-AK set to Mobile_SAM and Osa AKM to Mobile_AAA. Quite balanced. Still dangerous. 

3 hours ago, yakarov79 said:

Yes. And Osa can be hard to avoid. Sometimes you can not go lower anymore - below ground level :biggrin:

Oh, not so hard, i go below ground level more often than not when those are around. "Yeah, it is 1979 and we have F-15s, but i would rather be back in 1962, when it was F-100s vs MiG-19s. They could fly circles around us, but there were no SAMs. Not like these at least"

5 hours ago, macelena said:

4 hours ago, yakarov79 said:

... Personally, in all my instals (involving "modern" SAMs), I have Osa-AK set to Mobile_SAM and Osa AKM to Mobile_AAA. Quite balanced. Still dangerous. 

You Masochists...
:lol:

• Haha 3

am back finaly...

Does anyone know what all the AIRCRAFTLIST.LST file is for.  I kinda forgot about that, but i came across it recently. Explorer++ located it in my WWII install which i found to be meticulously populated with each WWII plane. I wonder if it 'helps' the sim with NOT populating the aircraft folder with stock planes AGAIN? Might it have other effects? From reading the above I would be surprised it would help enemy air defenses. I'm gonna fill one out for a new install I started and see what happens.

Man, those dudes at DCS set up missions how they want. Those b!chez wack bad guy planes from a hundred miles with S-300s all day. (HaHa) Come on TW make us a SF3. Sorta a pour man's DCS.

With a command Prompt "CD" (Change Directory) to you Mod's "Aircraft" folder.  You can copy the address out of your 'Explorer' Address Bar easily once in the said folder.  The command to enter is:

DIR /B > AIRCRAFTLIST.LST  <ENTER>

The aircraft list will magically appear in th AIRCRAFT folder. Clean out any non aircraft listings with notepad.exe

Good Night all!