I was wondering what is best to save the texture for the models is it BMP or JPG? and what is the difference between them? I have found that the JPG file size is smaller than BMP

I always use JPG myself, it is smaller in file size , and I think you get a much better resolution out of it as well , a good example is bring a model across from FE and duplicate it, change one of them into a JPG , as the default for FE is BMP , then convert one of the models into JPG , then suck it and see what I mean matey............This is why I wish JPG's worked in FE

• Like 2

Absolutely double check save quality when saving in JPG. Many software save in JPG but with standard quality, which heavily degrades the quality of the texture you've made. High quality JPGs will weigh less than a BMP, but will weigh more than a standard JPG. BMPs weigh more but are loaded faster by this game engine. JPGs require more time, despite the lower file size.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 3

Thank you for your feedback gentlemen, I should use the BMP.  :drinks:

6 minutes ago, GKABS said:

Thank you for your feedback gentlemen, I should use the BMP.  :drinks:

IMHO you can also use JPG, but as I said, make sure to save it with maximum quality. In Photoshop you have a slider, it is usually set to 7, while the maximum quality is 12.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Menrva said:

IMHO you can also use JPG, but as I said, make sure to save it with maximum quality. In Photoshop you have a slider, it is usually set to 7, while the maximum quality is 12.

This is what I was doing all along, saving my files JPG and quality set to 12, I think I will just keep doing what I was doing.:drinks:

• Like 1

The JPG not only saves a lot of space but improves the framerate as well. I always change every bmp to jpg without losing quality saving as 12. 

• Like 1

Some JPG of 4096X4096 with 12MB turn out to a mere 414KB and still 4096X4096 with the SAME quality. There´s a tool wich is fantastic for the job - the "File Converter". It can convert all BMP at once in a bunch. Don´t need to convert one by one. Highly recommended!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wilches said:

The JPG not only saves a lot of space but improves the framerate as well. I always change every bmp to jpg without losing quality saving as 12. 

my bf109f jpg 1024x1024 is 698kb bmp is 3mb...and takes longer to load 4 planes...about 15 seconds more...for bmp...and I use paintshop pro 7.4 to do my jpegs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wilches said:

Try this File Converter tool. You'l be amazed.

Thanks, I will search for it :drinks: and give it a try.

Those of us who have designed web pages also learned other skills to optimize graphics ... if you use photoshop there is an option to "save for web" in it you can optimize the weight and quality of a jpg to the maximum ... for example textures  from AV -8 of jarek ultra mega detailed (4096x4096) I left them converted to 1 mb without losing detail that is noticeable to the naked eye (ah also has a 2-view preview to compare the configuration and there you can be very demanding in your results). .. I converted all its textures and my pc was the happiest XD

Edited by PeacePuma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1