So I've been playing with the 2 DLC phantoms, K and N, and noticed that both have engine smoke...something their upgraded engines should not have. 

Is there a quick ini fix to sort this? 

russ forgot to mention, you first need to extract their respective data ini, place them in their respective aircraft folders in the mods folder, THEN change the exhaust emitter name!! :)

I thought all Spey powered Phantoms were smokeless? Not like the J79s at all, only smokeless in burner

• Like 2

I thought all Spey powered Phantoms were smokeless? Not like the J79s at all, only smokeless in burner”

Not just Spey-powered ac, Wrench, but all RAF ac had cleaner exhausts than their US and European NATO counterparts. We used a more refined  fuel,  F-34 AVTUR (aka JP-8 or Jet A-1), rather than the wider-cut F-40 AVTAG (aka JP-4) used by everybody else. I think most of NATO changed over to AVTUR in the late 1980s.

I’ve seen the difference myself when working with our Hercules C1 fleet back in 1978-79. When watching them flying around our base at Lyneham, you had to look quite hard to see the exhaust smoke. When operating overseas (inc in USA) and thus refuelled locally, they very noticeably trailed the Herc’s trademark “4 skidmarks in the sky”.

I’ve (perhaps chauvinistically) set all British jet/turboprop ac in all my SF2 versions to have CleanExhaustEmitter.

It’s a matter of maintaining one’s standards, chaps ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

LOVE IT!!

having spent most of my mechanic's (pardon - automotive technician) career in the emissions & engine control speciality, I can appriciate that!!

makes me wonder that would a more refined fuel not only reduce emissions (particulate and otherwise), but create a better burn and more power (specific impulse). Something to research I guess

3 hours ago, Wrench said:

makes me wonder that would a more refined fuel not only reduce emissions (particulate and otherwise), but create a better burn and more power (specific impulse). 

Don’t know about specific impulse etc Wrench,

But I do know that the Propulsion Flight would get awfully upset if any of their ac spent too long away on detachment at a foreign base. Meant that they would have to swap out all the engines for “de-coking”..

• Like 1