Sign in to follow this  
ponyboy314

OH-6 Minigun sound missing

I recently downloaded and added OH-6A Loaches in NAM 1.25 by Yakarov79.  So far, a solid addition, but with just one problem.

The minigun makes no sound, and while I'm thinking about it, it doesn't make any sound for his AH-1 Cobra mods either.

Any idea what causes this?  I've tried a few things but simply cannot get sound of of that minigun.

22 hours ago, yakarov79 said:

Perhaps you are missing sound files? try this..

missingSounds.rar

I already had those sound files with the download for the OH-6, but I took a chance and replaced them anyway.  No change.   Still can't hear anything. Probably something in some ini somewhere, where I'll never be able to correct it.  What a shame.  I loved this mod, but I have to delete it because the minigun doesn't make any sound.  Damn.  Thanx for the help, but looks like no dice.

so, extracting the soundlist.ini from the flightdata cat, placing it in the /Flight folder (make one if you need one), and adding the sound statements is too much work???

well, do what you think is best

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

so, extracting the soundlist.ini from the flightdata cat, placing it in the /Flight folder (make one if you need one), and adding the sound statements is too much work???

well, do what you think is best

It's a pleasure to meet you, too.

I am not quite as savvy as most others are about such things, and I am rather new to Strike Fighters.  I have, for the most part, been an Il-2 1946 guy. 

Meaning, that I have no idea what it is you're suggesting I do.  I apologize for my ignorance, but too much work?  I'm sure it would be easy if I understood what any of that meant.

• Like 1

I'd first start off here, mind you not everything is in the SF2 Knowledge Base, 

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/268-thirdwire-strike-fighters-2-series-knowledge-base/

so you might want to give the SF1 KB a once over as well (just for grins). many things in there are still applicable

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/99-thirdwire-strike-fighters-knowledge-base/

then download and install this:

mue's extractor is better than the stock 3W one. you might need to fiddle with it a bit, to learn how it works. You'll only be needing to use the extractor function. IIRC, there's a read me. If not you can always get the 3rd Wire one. 

you shouldn't need to worry about the gun and weapons editor -- they really don't do much in a drag and drop folderized SF2

give those a shot

yakarov's helos are worth the work

Welcome! :smile:

The most basic post to read is about how the "Mod Folder" works in SF2. For sounds, only very few (engine sounds) are working without editing the soundlist.ini file. New sounds added for guns/weapons, Ground Objects ("GOs") require a bit more work. You need to install one of the .cat file (catalog archives, the core game stores most stuff in them) extractors. There are two, one from ThirdWire.com - Latest tools and one made by Mue (linked by Wrench).  The soundlist is in the FlightData.cat. Once extracted, move it into the FlightData directory (create it if doesnt exist) in the mod folder.

Then edit the file, you want to add the M134Minigun sound. The .wav file goes into the Sounds directory. The soundlist has a sequential SoundFile list and the specific sections for the individual sounds below it. If you have a mod which lacks new/required entries for the soundlist, choose the next best/closest to entry from the stock entries and edit them.

For the minigun, this would be copying the Vulcan sound section.

Edit the soundfile list by adding a new line:

SoundFile034=M134Minigun  ( note here - # must be sequential (common typo/error, also in other files) and the name is always the name of the .wav sound added

Then copy the [Vulcan] sound section (edit for clarification) and paste it at the bottom of the file, and replace "Vulcan" with "M134Minigun".

Save the file.

@Wrench Looks like both KBs have no specific guide for basic soundlist editing .... :blink:

Edited by Crusader

I checked out the cat extractor from thirdwire as you said, and it isn't there anymore.  The link goes nowhere.  Figures, huh?  Dead end.

But I did mess with editing the soundfile list, and that was a resounding success.  Now the minigun sounds like one. Rad,

Your counsel was helpful, and I thank you.

it's a 7z file ... and i just checked it again, and downloaded it myself. 

in fact, here's the zip attached -- it's all 3 of the 3W utilities.

otto: hmmm! I was sure somebody (maybe fubar) had written a tut on it.

3rdWireTools-april-2012.7z

@Wrench I think ponyboy meant the links to thirdwire.com (posted by crusader) are dead.
@ponyboy314 The links crusader posted are indeed dead. But as Wrench wrote, you can also download the thirdwire tools here from combatace.com. But I also recommend the cat extractor from mues toolbox. After a small configuration step (i.e. setting the SF2 install directory) the cat extractor (from mues toolbox) searches all CAT files at once. In contrast with the thirdwire cat extractor you must open each cat file separately, meaning you have to know what cat file contains the file you are looking for.

• Thanks 1

which is why the links =I= posted are for the the 3W toolkit available HERE at CA. TK's site has been tits up for quite a while, excepting for the "sales floor"

mue's is better, as it shows all the content of cat