Hi Guys

I used to play WOV with many "column5" aircraft some years ago. Now I reinstalled it on my Win10 PC (thanks to the guide from this forum) but I realised, that the old column5 website doesn´t exist anymore?!?

I´m searching some of their aircraft (or better versions) for my WOV:

Mig 21 + Mig 29 both in NVA (East German Army) livery

F5 Tiger preferably in the black Top Gun "Mig 28" livery

F-14 preferably in the Top Gun livery

It would be very nice if someone could help me?

Thanks and happy landings!

Markus

They have been upgraded & migrated to our SF2 downloads section, or no longer exist.

personally, i feel its a waste of time and effort on a win10 machine to install 1st gens and then try to find all the addons, when SF2 just pretty much drops in.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the replies.

I know the game is old, but for me it´s a part of my childhood...I guess that´s the reason for playing it again. And now with all the Corona shit I´ve more than enough time for "fighting on the computer" :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiG85 said:

And what about the yankee air pirate 3 mod? Is it worth the money?

I believe it is I have Yap/Yap Rising sun/Yap Fighter weapons school/Yap training school/and a few dlc ships you can use the carriers and ships for strike fighters two but really hard to convert the weapons to sf2 though there is a knowledge base about it good luck

22 hours ago, MiG85 said:

And what about the yankee air pirate 3 mod? Is it worth the money?

Sigh.  The most worthwhile part of YAP's digital store are the carrier models, but those are often problematic within the community.  I will not elaborate further.

The aircraft models require a ton of modding to get them to work in SF2, and they're still not (in my opinion) as good as what is already on here.  For example, the YAP Tomcat model and the MF Tomcat model (available here for free) are miles apart in fidelity and presentation, the YAP model is nowhere near the quality of the MF model.

The YAP carriers are very, very good and I'm glad I bought them.  The YAP A-6 model isn't bad, but it isn't as good as the RAZBAM version, which in my opinion is the best Intruder model made for SF2.

The most disappointing and frustrating YAP product is their Charlie-model Hornet in Carrier Pack 4.  I had to quit trying to get that thing to work, it was maddening.

Edited by PFunk
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 1:16 AM, MiG85 said:

Hi Guys

I used to play WOV with many "column5" aircraft some years ago. Now I reinstalled it on my Win10 PC (thanks to the guide from this forum) but I realised, that the old column5 website doesn´t exist anymore?!?

I´m searching some of their aircraft (or better versions) for my WOV:

Mig 21 + Mig 29 both in NVA (East German Army) livery

F5 Tiger preferably in the black Top Gun "Mig 28" livery

F-14 preferably in the Top Gun livery

It would be very nice if someone could help me?

Thanks and happy landings!

Markus

I might have the ice man and maverick paint scheme for the mirage factory and possibly the mig-28 F-5E

Thank you very much Crusader!!! I loved the column5 website in the older days :-)

2nd question a bit offtopic. After the advise at the beginning I´m thinking about switching to SF2. Which version is the best? Europe or NA? Are they all running on a Win10 PC?

Thanks for all the help!

@admin, you may close the topic if you want.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:01 PM, MiG85 said:

Thank you guys for the replies.

I know the game is old, but for me it´s a part of my childhood...I guess that´s the reason for playing it again. And now with all the Corona shit I´ve more than enough time for "fighting on the computer" :D

SF2 is the same game as SF1 just better in every possible way.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 4:43 AM, CowboyTodd41 said:

SF2 is the same game as SF1 just better in every possible way.

Except aaa fire and sam launch volumes

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I just noticed that the speed indicator in the F-14 Tomcat by TMF (TheMirageFactory) only shows up to 800 kts, and the Mach indicator does not move, not letting you know the speed of the aircraft if you have your HUD turned off.
      As you can see down here, i'm at Mach 2.23, but the indicator only shows 800 kts and doesn't go above. Obviously it adapts to my altitude, so if i'm higher, then the IAS is lower, but still should move, making it impossible flying at high speed without HUD turned on as i have it down here:

Another issue, maybe even worse than the previous one, is that the fuel indicator shows wrong numbers, or as i may think, it shows "a number less". For example: if i have 20000 pounds of fuel left, it should show 20000, but it shows 02000. This is a theory on how it works, not confirmed, and i'm gonna explain you why i think it is like that:
      I hardly think i truly have 2000 pounds of fuel left, cause i choose Fuel 100% and tried climbing and flying for a long time with full afterburner, and the numbers slowly started going down, even reached the point of burning the engine at Mach 2.30and the fuel wasn't gone yet, it showed i had like 00700 left, so i presume it's 20000 in reality, otherwise i would have been out of fuel in no time, since it's a quantity even under the bingo quantity, but i flew for minutes and minutes in full afterburner, and at 8x speed, so. Speaking of Bingo, there's no bingo indicator.
      Here's a picture of the fuel indicator:

I tried the default F-14 cockpit, and even if that one shows correctly both speed and fuel indicators and even if it's a great cockpit, i personally like more and find more realistic and immersive the TMF one.
      In the end, since these two indicators are crucial, especially for flying without HUD, and the fuel indicator especially, since there's no way to know how much fuel you have left even with HUD turned on other than the cockpit indicator.
      So, what i'm asking is:
      Is there a way to fix these? A mod that remakes the indicators? Or another cockpit that is not the default one that i can use to swap this one?
      Thanks in advance for helping me.
    • By Anshuman
      Where can i get a mod for Hal Tejas. any suggestion.
    • By Anshuman
      Can Anyone help me..?After installing Su-35 mod in WOE,i cant get the Russian Weapons like R-77,R-73 even if i v already installed latest weapon pack,this case only happens with su-35,but in Mig-35 or Mig-29 mod i can get Those Russian Weapons like R-27,R-77 ETC..
    • By MigBuster

Today we are taking a trip back to 2004, a time when as you can see from the photo above featured PC CDROMs!
      Before Internet speeds for most were high enough to consider sending entire game files they had to distribute games to people using good old fashioned Compact Disks. The shiny CD came complete with its own (Jewel) case with cover and even a printed manual. As you can see a time when even Thirdwire had to distribute games and make them look like games used to - the manual even tells me to go to http://www.softwarehelpdesk.co.uk/ for technical support…………..ha looks like that domain is up for sale! 

Looking at the back we can see it even ran on Windows ME with 256MB of RAM! - Yes, I had to look back to remember what Win ME was – the very last of the Win 9x line before Microsoft thankfully ditched that and we got Win 2000 then Win XP.  Of course, in 2004 or nearly all of that decade Win XP was the only game in town for home users and it was great for its time.

For anybody who had bought Strike Fighters: Project 1, a Vietnam game was a logical and most welcome step forward….a game that recreates the intense air combat experience in the skies of North Vietnam at the height of the air campaign……………..what could be better!

The manual lists the Player and AI aircraft, and although the VPAF selection looks fairly complete, the US selection was very limited compared to the later Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam.
      This was a time when there was hope for the future and many opportunities to modify the hell out of the game and start getting into place the absolute ton of things not included in the box.

Terrain & Environment
      As you might see (from the case) the Terrain that came with WOV wasn’t much better than what comes with one of Thirdwires Phone & Tablet PC games – a pretty poor and unrealistic looking barren wasteland. Unsurprisingly it was not long before modders produced somewhat better tilesets - one of the first I remember and although free was used by Yankee Air Pirate later:

The RA-5 Vigilante - does not come with WOV

There was a payware tileset for sale at Razbams store at some point – but suffered from having obvious borders and tile edges – also 512 x 512 bitmap files were pretty big at the time but very low res by today’s standards.
      This later effort includes a version of Starys Green Hell which included a lot more trees for the first time:

Vietnam was hell - Green hell!

When released WOV also had no clouds either but they were added in a later patch:

Low level clouds, gone but not forgotten 

Game play
      The North Vietnam Air Force (VPAF) and air defences were quite well set up as part of the terrain, with relevant SAM and AAA models for the era along with relevant AI. The MiGs varied in effectiveness from patch to patch whereas some of the SA-2s had a Kill probability of about 99% - this was rightly toned down somewhat in Strike Fighters 2 (SF2). 
      WOV included an airbourne FAC (Forward Air Controller) role and this was usually represented by an 0-1E Birddog flying over the battlefield (Callsign Snoopy) – this was removed from SF2. 
      The game added Carrier operations for the first time although the carrier was pretty lonely by itself most of the time, and players could only fly off it in campaigns and scripted single missions! 

The B-52s thought they were safe from Thirdwires lesser spotted MiG-17F 

Payware
      There were some options for payware – mostly from Razbam and Yankee Air Pirate – both had air of controversy that I won’t go into here. 

One of the very few payware aircraft was the A-1 skyraider pack

Before the Mission Editor arrived in SF2 you had to create single missions using Notepad basically, quite a time consuming and difficult process. Yankee Air Pirate basically created single missions based on real missions from Vietnam and was quite an important addition for anyone with an interest in that subject. 

Populated carrier deck

Landing and taking off in Hueys from smaller boats like this

Shooting down Colts in Hueys

Shooting the side gun in Hueys - Get some!.

Of course, with scripted missions you can do quite a few things you cannot in auto generated single missions and campaigns!

Advance clone army!

The VPAF, masters of camouflage

Looking back
      Wings Over Vietnam certainly started out as a fairly serious attempt to put together a decent standalone Vietnam war Air Combat simulator and in that respects, did a pretty decent job, but only if you took time to add a lot of the mods available and change the game yourself. Graphically it was using DX9.0c so was up to date in that regards although again you had to add mods to get it looking to what it should have perhaps been out of the box. 

F-111A - not included with WOV

EB-66 - not included with WOV

…………and Here we are at the tail end of 2017 and still no real alternative to WOV and SF2V on the Vietnam War flight sim front.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..