Sign in to follow this  
alexis99

Windows 10 massive new update

Has anybody dared to update to the new Win 10 yet, and if so, does it screw SF2 up?

nope not really , mine works just fine, as does FE 2

Me too, everything works fine so far.

Works fine although I recommend running SF2, and FE2, in Win7 compatibility mode. Your mileage may vary with the latest and always rolling "feature update" packs of Win10. I am currently locked down on ver. 1809 of Win10 on the Bootcamp side of the Mac Pro, with AMD vid. drivers ver. 17.x.x, and things are swell. Those interested in manually locking/toggling Windows updates (works both on Home and Pro eds. by the way) - are recommended to check out "Windows Update Blocker" (WUB) - works well and doesn't break anything on the Win install. Remember to unblock updates via WUB if you sometimes want to take a peek at latest updates offered by Windows - as well as to update "apps" in the Windows Store, if you use apps from the store.

WUB available here: https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-6/

Von S :buba:

• Like 1

there as several threads here about SF2 and Winge10. (still staying with 7 until the machine blows up!! --also, can't afford a new one!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Upgraded to W10 over a year ago. Can’t say much changed performance-wise with SF2/FE2. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VonS said:

Works fine although I recommend running SF2, and FE2, in Win7 compatibility mode. Your mileage may vary with the latest and always rolling "feature update" packs of Win10. I am currently locked down on ver. 1809 of Win10 on the Bootcamp side of the Mac Pro, with AMD vid. drivers ver. 17.x.x, and things are swell. Those interested in manually locking/toggling Windows updates (works both on Home and Pro eds. by the way) - are recommended to check out "Windows Update Blocker" (WUB) - works well and doesn't break anything on the Win install. Remember to unblock updates via WUB if you sometimes want to take a peek at latest updates offered by Windows - as well as to update "apps" in the Windows Store, if you use apps from the store.

WUB available here: https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-6/

Von S :buba:

seems pointless and alot of work if it runs fine..?.no probs here with SF2 or FE2 on 10...updated...etc

I always update Windows 10 as and when they come in and the only issue I have is that when I run SF2 after an update all my carefully arranged desktop icons go walkabout. Annoying!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you, gentlemen, I can leave my safe space now.

Wrench: If you aren't on Win 10, you may have misunderstood my point. Every time I switch on, Microsoft is insisting I download the latest massive update. It's like they are issuing a Windows 11, not a little fix. Massive changes worry me. The reason I have migrated to SF2 is that I was on XP with SF1 and my XP graphics card went AWOL. SF2 is designed for Win7, the fact that it works on Win 10 is nothing short of a miracle. I'm in constant fear of it not doing any more. It wouldn't be the first time that Bill Gates has torpedoed my favourite flight sim by upgrading.

• Like 2

I'd like to torpedo Bill Gates sometimes ... (using a IJN torp, as ours sucked)

I assume, like 7, there's a way to turn of "auto updates?" on 10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

But, we have nukes now.

• Haha 1

yep

18 hours ago, Spinners said:

I always update Windows 10 as and when they come in and the only issue I have is that when I run SF2 after an update all my carefully arranged desktop icons go walkabout. Annoying!!

i use an app IconShepard,  keeps everything in place as long as its running

Dear colleagues, I do not know if it will be the windows update, what happens to me now is that before I could not put the effects to the maximum because it gave me CTD and now if I put the effects to the maximum if I can

12 hours ago, jack33 said:

Dear colleagues, I do not know if it will be the windows update, what happens to me now is that before I could not put the effects to the maximum because it gave me CTD and now if I put the effects to the maximum if I can

have you got nvidia drivers?...if so ...unlimited effects are working now as they have been with drivers for at least 4 last versions.

On 10.12.2020 at 9:24 PM, Wrench said:

It remembers me of this one:

large.5fd5457c2751a_Bytheway_MS.jpg.cb3f

:biggrin: :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, russouk2004 said:

have you got nvidia drivers?...if so ...unlimited effects are working now as they have been with drivers for at least 4 last versions.

Captura de pantalla (3).jpg

img00002.JPG

img00001.JPG

• Like 1