gterl

Two questions - answer only if you really mean it

Hi Folks (however still reads this)

Inspired by the wonderful Triplane and the Halberstadt CL.II I've recently restarted FE. By sheer coincidence and curiosity I downloaded the 'old' Flanders terrain from Edward (who still remembers...LOL). I've to say this terrain is good...good basis for further enhancements!

Now my two questions:

1. Are you still playing from time to time FE? Still enjoying?

2. If the above mentioned terrain would get a complete rewamp would you use it? No channel (water), 1:1 size - e.g. just a portion of flanders, but with more details, etc.

I would honestly do it, but it's a huge project....sooo thinking twice

cheers and let me know your thoughts

gt

large.img00001.jpg.8e36618fd3226d398e2a0ad4ed4fbeb8.jpg

• Like 6

1). Still playing and enjoying FE2.

2). Still use Edward's Flanders-terrain, possibly more than any other. I would certainly use a revamped version.

Thank you for considering this.

• Like 3

I do still play FE 2 , though not lately as I am having a break from FE/SF for a little while. Yes I use Edwards Flanders , and most definitely I would use an upgraded terrain as and when it becomes available 

• Like 2

Welcome back to FE/FE2 gTerl,

Yes I regularly fly FE2 (and WOFF Platinum Ed.) - that other WWI sim (ROF united) I hardly ever touch since these two are so much more immersive. FE2 is still great especially for the feeling of flight conveyed - it's remarkable how the data inis, with tweaking, still hold up, even though FE2 is getting on in years. Also the AI in FE2 is holding up really well.

Currently I only fly the small enhancements provided on CombatAce for the stock Verdun and Cambrai terrains (different terrain patch colors, etc.) - and of course also your Italian terrains, and Stephen's eastern front and middle eastern terrains.

For some reason I spend most of my time flying over Italy and in the middle eastern theater - I like the fact that FE2 is still the only WWI sim. that gives us some of these less well-known theaters, where we can fly some very obscure mounts. I fly all of your maps for Italy (the regular Italy map and also Caporetto) - so I would definitely download your revamp of Flanders too if you ever consider reworking it.

Von S :smile:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FE2 has been continuously on my HD and gets more play than any other game I own. 

I would be extremely interested in any revamp of the Flanders terrain. If it's half as good your other work it will be outstanding.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting idea (smaller map with more detail) - would it more closely resemble a dogfight (as opposed to campaign) simulator?  To your questions: 

Yes - I've set up multiple FE2 installs (by theater and time frame) and spent some significant time with adding or subtracting mods to have them reflect the campaign situations.  I own several flight sims and can't say I use FE2 daily, but every time I do, I thoroughly appreciate all the work that has been put into this older piece of software by talented folks attempting to make it better.  

Yes - I would certainly use it and would probably set it up with a separate install (much like I've done with the Caporetto terrain).

But what about thinking more globally?  As you've mentioned with the Flanders map, I'm sure your experience in building out these very detailed map models has yielded many areas on all of the FE2 maps that could be improved.  Why not develop an "upgrade kit" that would incorporate similar improvements to all FE2 maps?  Not looking to take any energy away from such a considerable effort for Flanders, but just thinking out loud...  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silberpfeil said:

But what about thinking more globally?  As you've mentioned with the Flanders map, I'm sure your experience in building out these very detailed map models has yielded many areas on all of the FE2 maps that could be improved.  Why not develop an "upgrade kit" that would incorporate similar improvements to all FE2 maps?  Not looking to take any energy away from such a considerable effort for Flanders, but just thinking out loud...  

Trouble is....time. I'm able to improve something existing with the my given time. If we think more 'globally' then we discuss (as example and not conclusive list): Seasonal tiles, better vegetation per season, new TODs, elevation maps, facilities, such as ports, train stations, big cities, which in turn would need new/additional objects like buildings, POIs, etc....uffff. Bottom line: Basically everything is feasable but time is an issue (mind you ...still have a job and a family to feed :biggrin:)

OTOH just thinkered with one tile, one airfiled and a bit with the vegetation...for the moment I'm quite pleased :rolleyes:

large.img00001.jpg.e9a92e44262cbbeab649ce35303e41d7.jpg

Edited by gterl
  • Like 7

Like everyone else who responded, I would also like a new Flanders terrain. 

I still play FE Gold on a regular basis. I have FE 2, but I rarely use it.

I have been working on some airfield terrain objects,  I will upload them when they're finished.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Still fire up FE2 and I use Flanders most of the time!

• Thanks 1

Edward originally did a great job on this terrain. It has stood up really well. I think it repeats tiles, but it's not very obvious, even at altitude. I think it's a very wise choice for an upgrade. 

Silberfeil did suggest a very ambitious project. All I would say, in the limitations of the time available to you of course, is could the textures about to be developed for Flanders be made transferable for Verdun and Cambrai?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi gterl

1) Still playing FE2.

2) Still use Edward's Flanders-terrain a lot. A revamped version would be very welcome.

BTW: I hope you someday start over your work with Venice terrain. It would be great for Italian Front.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JulioJunqueira said:

BTW: I hope you someday start over your work with Venice terrain. It would be great for Italian Front.

Ahhh yess still on my HD...so many ideas so little time

large.img00002.jpg.28fea4ea3e6c9a4a4bf53440b45d3974.jpglarge.img00001.jpg.e9e5fbb52e5be3a2ec95d3dc0b950cbc.jpg

• Like 6

Still a bit in experimental phase, but I'm surprised how well everything fits together (TOD's, my templates, the original tiles, etc.)

..hope you like it. Mind you...nothing promised yet ...

large.img00001.jpg.9477d2b3db4c30391b6953aa0b40d791.jpg

• Like 8

1. Am I still playing FE2 from time to time and still enjoying the sim?

Yes.

2. Would I use the above mentioned terrain after a complete revamp?

Yes. 

• Thanks 1

...only about 100 tiles left till finished....and then positioning, targets, airfields :stars:

large.img00002.jpg.7382f96f3fea6ee62f2566f440d0d476.jpg

• Like 7

Late afternoon patrol ...AND don't tell me this isn't one of the greatest WW1 sim's out there :biggrin:

large.img00001.jpg.c7574308ba504a9d87ee340a167dbdfa.jpglarge.img00004.jpg.e59b5cf4fd5dd2b4256e79f40ec2c13b.jpglarge.img00002.jpg.482ba2b3c986d8bd4dfd4fbb3e8bdb47.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1