Wilches

Searching planes

Gents, I could swear that I saw the Fokker D.VI and the Sop Salamander somewhere to download. After a systematic search I found nothing. Am I crazy? 

I don't see a Salamander anywhere in the download section and removals from the archive are rare.

E

to answer the 2nd question ....

yes

:lol:

==

sure they're not DAT birds?

9 hours ago, Wilches said:

Gents, I could swear that I saw the Fokker D.VI and the Sop Salamander somewhere to download. After a systematic search I found nothing. Am I crazy? 

Maybe you meant Fokker D.VII or D.VIII? The first is a stock aircraft, the second is in the download section, just like the earlier Fokkers. But the Salamander was definitely not here, only Snipe was in the downloads section. :dntknw:

• Like 1

Sopwith Snipe (not Salamander) available here:

https://combatace.com/files/file/13078-sopwith-7f1-snipe-early/

There is no Fokk. D.VI available as far as I know - only the D.VIII (under the downloads section) - the D.VII is stock by the way. For the different variants of the D.VII (BMW, OAW, etc.) - make separate aircraft folders, as per install instructions in my big FM pack - and then you can use the other two data inis supplied there as well - gives you the OAW ("standard") D.VII, plus the later, BMW variant, and the early, 180 hp D.VII used only in May/June approximately of 1918. There's a data ini in the pack for the D.VIII too, by the way - increases top speed on the D.VIII to about 204-5 kph as historical (among other changes). The stock data ini supplied with that 3rd-party D.VIII goes up only to about the mid-160s kph.

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.

IIRC, Fokker D.VI can be found as an IL2 DBW1916 model, and Sopwith TF.2 Salamander was a FS2004 model (not sure of current status).  Recent pix of the D.VI are available on the web in a few places, and I recently saw one of the Salamander on another site.

Here they are - just needed some time to go looking around...5ff45f5005547_CAFokkD6SopFT2.thumb.jpg.d9c1effa85c2eeea63e38407cb6ea4b0.jpg

Edited by Silberpfeil
Added pictures

Thanks guys! Perhaps Stephen1918 fill this gap one day.

• Like 1

It's a nice aircraft - there is a D.VI in the Plat. Ed. of WOFF, by the way. In the right hands (capable pilot) - it may be a more effective aircraft than the famous D.VII. Top speed on the D.VI is around 200-1 kph, so it's not bad at all - faster than the Dr.1 (of any engine variant). There were also engined-up experiments with the D.VI - Siemens-Halske, Oberursel Ur.III, etc. - 145 to about 160 hp - which should give it a fine climb rate and gentle stall characteristics since the same airfoils are used I think that are also on the D.VII. Somewhere in an interview Mikael Carlson mentioned that he would rather take the Dr.1 than a D.VII into a dogfight - perhaps the D.VI is the sweet spot between a twitchy and stable mount.

Here's another looker - the (somewhat obscure) Fokk. D.V:

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/aircraft/historic/fokker-d-v-d-5

EDIT: And another interesting link/post where the Fokk. D.V "geometry" is reconstructed - this should come in handy for any 3-d modelers out there interested in WWI models, both for actual models and in-sim models:

https://airplanes3d.wordpress.com/2019/04/27/recreating-geometry-of-a-forgotten-wwi-fighter/

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added extra link.
  • Like 1