strange,  for some reason it created another saved games folder 

Ok i moved the folder to the correct saved games folder, and it works now

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Veltro2k said:

strange,  for some reason it created another saved games folder 

Weird. When you can, feel free to send me a PM with details about this, I'd like to check and improve the installer if possible, to take into account rare instances such as yours.

I am also having the same issue that Hornet54 was having. None of the graphics settings are improving things. I've tried reinstalling the whole mod as well, but that didn't work. Whenever trying to start a campaign, regardless of which campaign, aircraft, or service I choose, it loads into the campaign but is unable to load a mission, freezing for a minute and then crashing to desktop at 80%. When I attempt to start Scramble, it instead freezes at 50% and does not crash or move, and I need to end the task in order to exit. This also occurs when attempting to create a single mission.

I'm not sure if this is normal or if it helps pinpoint the issue, but in the main campaign screen, where you see your mission briefing, there is no picture of an airplane in the hangar like in vanilla SF2, just an empty hangar.

Is there any way to enable error logging or something to see what exactly is causing the crashes/freezes?

3 hours ago, cuisinart8 said:

I'm not sure if this is normal or if it helps pinpoint the issue, but in the main campaign screen, where you see your mission briefing, there is no picture of an airplane in the hangar like in vanilla SF2, just an empty hangar.

This is simply a design choice. We cannot create thousands of different custom hangar graphics for all aircraft and skins, it would be a waste of time, resources and space. A generic hangar screen is used instead.

3 hours ago, cuisinart8 said:

Is there any way to enable error logging or something to see what exactly is causing the crashes/freezes?

Unfortunately, no.

The issues you described are mostly due to your system going out of memory or your system does not meet some of the minimum requirements (including owning the mentioned SF2 titles by TW). The terrain and campaign data (which usually are a source of crashes) have no visible bugs in the mod, they were checked with third-party tools to ensure their integrity. The ODS mod is not stock SF2; it features tons of higher quality 3d models, 2k textures and so on. You need a more powerful PC to experience it. Nothing we can do about crashes on low-end systems, the game engine is really dated and performs worse when objects differ in quality detail and size.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

The issues you described are mostly due to your system going out of memory or your system does not meet some of the minimum requirements (including owning the mentioned SF2 titles by TW). The terrain and campaign data (which usually are a source of crashes) have no visible bugs in the mod, they were checked with third-party tools to ensure their integrity. The ODS mod is not stock SF2; it features tons of higher quality 3d models, 2k textures and so on. You need a more powerful PC to experience it. Nothing we can do about crashes on low-end systems, the game engine is really dated and performs worse when objects differ in quality detail and size.

Good to know it's not the install that's the issue. My PC should be able to run it as it's pretty new and beefy, but I'll try fiddling with the options and my computer a bit more to see if any of that fixes the crashes. Thanks for the explanation!

9 hours ago, cuisinart8 said:

Good to know it's not the install that's the issue. My PC should be able to run it as it's pretty new and beefy, but I'll try fiddling with the options and my computer a bit more to see if any of that fixes the crashes. Thanks for the explanation!

You're welcome. I feel sorry when people are unable to run the mod; despite all the optimizations we have done, it's still pretty heavy on resources.

Just saw the preview video, and I love how you used "my" Tornado menu music setup for this, I use it for my original Desert Storm mod install, and I do like the switch of "We can fly" and the main theme for the menus.

I'll get to flying in this after it goes public, but I'm surprised to be part of it in some way haha.

• Like 2

On 01/02/2021 at 2:51 PM, Dexter249 said:

I'll get to flying in this after it goes public, but I'm surprised to be part of it in some way haha.

Why wait? Subscribe! https://combatace.com/store/

• Like 1

Hi Menrva - same issue for me as cuisinart8 and Hornet54.

50% loaded on "scramble", then black screen and eventual CTD. On a single mission it loads to 80% and then crashes. Running on WIndows 10 with Windows 7 compatibility selected.

I understand the game engine is ancient and the mod is full of high res models, textures, terrain.... Is there something in one of the installed folders that can be disabled or swapped out to ease the burden on the PC?

I'm amazed at how much work has gone into this mod - I just hope I can run it!

Well, I feel rather silly now. I'm running the game on a laptop and it had auto-selected the integrated graphics card instead of my dedicated GPU to run the ODS exe with. Switching to my more powerful GPU fixed the problem quite nicely! I recommend anyone having the same problem check out Nvidia Control Panel or whatever program came with their GPU and make certain that the mod exe is using their most powerful card. Keep in mind you may need to manually add the program to the list in the control panel in order to be able to do this.

• Like 1

Thanks cuisinart8! 

I'm using Intel Iris Xe graphics on an 11th Gen i7 (2.8GHz) CPU. The system has 16 GB RAM of which 8 GB is available to graphics. So its an integrated GPU, but a brand new one - I can play DCS and Star Wars Squadrons on low graphics settings so I hoped this would work too. 

I guess at some level the age of the game engine means this non-traditional GPU just won't play nice :(

33 minutes ago, jsdnav said:

I guess at some level the age of the game engine means this non-traditional GPU just won't play nice :(

Yeah, unfortunately I cannot run it as well on my laptop, the integrated GPU by Intel does not suffice. Hope you can get it to run on another system in the future. I dislike laptops for gaming, I'd always aim for purposely built desktop PCs.

Edited by Menrva

Thanks Menrva - yes I agree. I'm away from my desktop for a while, when I get back to it I'm sure this will run fine. Something to look forward to!

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I just purchased a 6-month subscription. When I try to download this game, halfway through it fails. Can anybody help me with this issue? Thanks a lot.

Edited by Falcon1364

Thank you for this!

I'm having problems installing. I think there is a step involving renaming an .exe to create a new game folder or something like that. I could be wrong.

Regardless, I cannot get it to work. 

Could some one help with step-by-step installation instructions, please??

Thank you very much.

27 minutes ago, TurtleHawk said:

I'm having problems installing. I think there is a step involving renaming an .exe to create a new game folder or something like that. I could be wrong.

There is no manual step, the installation is automatized. Just run the installer. The installer should automatically detect your Strike Fighters 2 installation folder. Make sure that the installation path points to your Strike Fighters 2 game folder, not to a custom mod folder. The installer does not allow you to choose a custom mod folder path at this time. The mod folder will be installed automatically in the proper "X:\Users\YourName\Saved Games\ThirdWire\" path, like any other mod folder created by TW's stock Strike Fighters 2 games. After installation is over, simply run the mod by using the created Desktop and/or Start Menu links.

What is new in updated verson from 31. january?

On 2/7/2021 at 11:47 PM, strahi said:

What is new in updated verson from 31. january?

Nothing. I just updated the description. If the mod is updated for real, the version number would change and you'd get a change log. It's still v0.9.0 for obvious reasons.

Edited by Menrva

How to make the radar screen appear in the upper right corner of the screen?

It's not supposed to show

Seem to be having problems with Operation Desert Storm – 30th Anniversary Edition.

Installation seemed to go ok.

But programs crashes in loading screen at about 80%.

Ideas?

System Information

Device name    
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz   3.00 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID    
Product ID   
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

Event Data
      OperationDesertStorm.exe
      51d22110
      GraphicsEngineDX10.dll
      51d9dbb5
      c0000005
      00018a74
      01d732d8b09faa03
      C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\OperationDesertStorm.exe
      C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Core\GraphicsEngineDX10.dll
      5d55578a-03c4-47cf-9782-dbb80e5cbfff

3 hours ago, Kirby2012 said:

But programs crashes in loading screen at about 80%.

Ideas?

Just lower graphics settings. The mod features many custom 3d models with high quality 2K and 4K textures. If your graphics card is not good enough, it can easily run out of memory. The mod does not work with Intel's integrated graphics card, you must use a proper GPU.

Your Event Log is useful, as you can see the crash is due to GraphicsEngineDX10.dll, which is the game's library responsible for the game engine using DirectX 10 libraries. DX10 was implemented rather poorly in SF2. I am hoping a proper Win10 update for SF2 happens, so that mods such as this can perform better on all PCs.

That being said, a patch is in the making; the mod's quality has been improved even more and many bugs have been fixed. No release date yet, we're taking our time to do some quality work.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For some reason Simulation was not detecting my GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card.

Went to settings and made sure the computer was using that card.

Now simulation loads fine. 

Running at High Graphics setting in game.

Display Resolution at 3840 x 2160 x32.

Simulation is "Rock Solid" at 60 frames per second.

Thanks for the help......

Now to Explore.  

• Like 2

Wonderful job, dear. I'm going to hope that one day it will be free like the other mods, for personal reasons. Will it ever be free? Best regards.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] McDonnell Douglas Phantom F-4L (USMC)
      McDonnell Douglas F-4L (USMC/USN) Phantom for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2
      This is a simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-4M_75 to give a fictional USMC Phantom F-4L with markings for VMFA-333 'Shamrocks'. Also included is a USN VF-111 scheme that generally uses stock decals but is included here to give a blank F-4L tail for you to do other squadrons by using stock decals. It goes without saying that you will need to have the F-4M_75 from SF2:Europe.

BACKSTORY
      With all the considerable design effort being put into the marriage of the Phantom airframe and the Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan engine McDonnell Douglas thought it might be a good idea to propose a version to the US Navy to allow the Phantom to operate from the smaller carriers that were limited to F-8E Crusaders. In June 1966 the designation F-4L was given to the proposed Spey-powered Phantom and in October 1966 an initial order for 130 F-4L's (USN/USMC) was made, followed by an unexpected export order of 30 F-4L's for the Royal Australian Navy.
      Deliveries to the US Navy commenced in February 1969 with VF-24 becoming the first operational squadron followed by VMFA-333. By this time the wisdom of operating such a relatively large aircraft on the older, smaller carriers was being questioned and most F-4L's served aboard the larger carriers or with land-based units. 
      When the decision was made not to re-equip the USMC 'fighter-attack' Phantom squadrons with the hugely expensive Grumman F-14A Tomcat, McDonnell Douglas pushed hard for low-rate production of the F-4L to continue specifically for USMC use and they were eventually successful meaning that production continued until 1976 with an eventual total of 306 F-4L's being built. Apart from Australia, F-4L's also served with the Royal Air Force where 15 ex-USN F-4L's were sold to the UK Government to allow the formation of an additional home-based Phantom squadron to release a squadron for the defence of the Falkand Isles. 

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-4L_75 folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-4L_75 folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - February 17th, 2024.

Submitter Spinners Submitted 01/24/2010 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      McDonnell Douglas F-4L (USMC/USN) Phantom for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2
      This is a simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-4M_75 to give a fictional USMC Phantom F-4L with markings for VMFA-333 'Shamrocks'. Also included is a USN VF-111 scheme that generally uses stock decals but is included here to give a blank F-4L tail for you to do other squadrons by using stock decals. It goes without saying that you will need to have the F-4M_75 from SF2:Europe.

BACKSTORY
      With all the considerable design effort being put into the marriage of the Phantom airframe and the Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan engine McDonnell Douglas thought it might be a good idea to propose a version to the US Navy to allow the Phantom to operate from the smaller carriers that were limited to F-8E Crusaders. In June 1966 the designation F-4L was given to the proposed Spey-powered Phantom and in October 1966 an initial order for 130 F-4L's (USN/USMC) was made, followed by an unexpected export order of 30 F-4L's for the Royal Australian Navy.
      Deliveries to the US Navy commenced in February 1969 with VF-24 becoming the first operational squadron followed by VMFA-333. By this time the wisdom of operating such a relatively large aircraft on the older, smaller carriers was being questioned and most F-4L's served aboard the larger carriers or with land-based units. 
      When the decision was made not to re-equip the USMC 'fighter-attack' Phantom squadrons with the hugely expensive Grumman F-14A Tomcat, McDonnell Douglas pushed hard for low-rate production of the F-4L to continue specifically for USMC use and they were eventually successful meaning that production continued until 1976 with an eventual total of 306 F-4L's being built. Apart from Australia, F-4L's also served with the Royal Air Force where 15 ex-USN F-4L's were sold to the UK Government to allow the formation of an additional home-based Phantom squadron to release a squadron for the defence of the Falkand Isles. 

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-4L_75 folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-4L_75 folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - February 17th, 2024.

• By Menrva
      Welcome To Duty
      Built with the extraordinary expertise and dedication of modders from CombatACE.com, Operation Desert Storm – 30th Anniversary Edition promises to be the most complete total conversion ever made for Strike Fighters 2 by ThirdWire.
      Fly with more than 50 aircraft ranging from Cold War relics to the most advanced platforms. Gain air superiority in the mighty F-15C Eagle or challenge the Coalition with the agile Fulcrum. Support troops with the A-10A Thunderbolt II, bomb strategic targets with the stealthy F-117A Nighthawk, lead airfield denial operations in the iconic Tornado.
      Enjoy a beautifully rendered scenario on a scaled and accurate terrain. Fly over the lakes and rivers of Mesopotamia, the oil-rich fields of Kuwait, the mountains of Iran and Turkey. Take-off from aircraft carriers stationed in the Persian Gulf to watch over Kuwaiti oil rigs. Perform landings and patrols in more than 90 airports and air bases in the Middle East.
      Take part in different campaigns including the Iraqi blitzkrieg on Kuwait and the US-led liberation of the Kuwaiti Emirate. Discover how the Iraqi Army was one of the biggest in the world, through the eyes of American, British, Canadian, French, Italian and Arab pilots. Test your skills and abilities flying for the Iraqi Air Force during all stages of the conflict.
      Thirty years after, Operation Desert Storm still remains the largest air operation of modern warfare to date. Modders and flight sim enthusiasts at CombatACE teamed up to bring you a unique product in the lite flight sim world. Exquisitely detailed aircraft and paint schemes are delivered in a well-researched and thorough order of battle.
      The ODS 30th AE Development team would like to thank CombatACE.com, its admins, moderators and contributors.
      We are sure you will enjoy and appreciate this high-quality freeware product. From the aviation enthusiasts, to the aviation enthusiasts... and for the pilots of tomorrow.

Minimum Requirements
      Required products from ThirdWire:
      Strike Fighters 2, July 2013 patch Strike Fighters 2: Israel, July 2013 patch Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic, July 2013 patch Full support for:
      Mission Editor DLC Campaign Customizer DLC System specs:
      OS: Windows 7 x86 Processor: Dual Core 2.7 GHz Memory: 4.0 GB RAM Hard Drive: 17.0 GB Free Space Video Card: 1024 MB DirectX 10  
      Sneak Peek

Disclaimer
      CombatACE.com shall at all times retain ownership of the Software as originally downloaded by you and all subsequent downloads of the Software by you. The Software (and the copyright, and other intellectual property rights of whatever nature in the Software, including any modifications made thereto) are and shall remain the property of CombatACE.com and of the respective developers/modders.
      In no event, unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, shall CombatACE.com, or any person be liable for any loss, expense or damage, of any type or nature arising out of the use of, or inability to use this installer or program, including, but not limited to, claims, suits or causes of action involving alleged infringement of copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, or unfair competition.
      The Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary Edition modification does NOT comply with CombatACE's Freeware Licensing. Various contents of this modification are exclusive, as such you are NOT allowed to share, redistribute and/or make use of the mod and/or its contents for other purposes, without the consent of the mod's developers. Contents of the modification are the copyright of their respective authors.

Notes about the installer
      Beware, the mod is available only in the ISO format. You can either mount it on a virtual drive, burn it on a DVD like in the good old days, or unzip it with 7-Zip or equivalent software.
      The installer will automatically detect your installation of the required Strike Fighters 2 games by reading through the registry keys. Game folders that are copied from or manually moved from where they were originally installed are not supported. You need all three aforementioned Strike Fighters 2 games and they must be installed with ThirdWire's original installers, not manually copied from other sources nor moved elsewhere after installation to other folders or drives. If you do not meet any of these requirements, installation cannot proceed and you are on your own. If you install all required games properly, the installation of the mod will proceed correctly as intended. The installer then lets you choose where to install the mod folder; you can even install the mod on a different drive or partition than the one where Strike Fighters 2 is installed. No further user input nor manual edits after installation are ever required; the installer takes care of creating all proper links to your desired path for the mod folder. After installation is over, simply run the mod by using the created Desktop and/or Start Menu links.
      If you have a previous version of the mod installed, please use the uninstaller to remove it completely. Clean installation is mandatory. You might want to make a backup of the Controls folder, so that you can easily restore your controller settings afterwards.

Suggestions on common issues
      Make sure that you are using your dedicated GPU. By default, Strike Fighters 2 usually selects the integrated GPU you may have on your CPU, which is much weaker in terms of VRAM. In case you have frequent crashes or black/missing textures, I highly suggest you download and install the DXVK graphics wrapper (x86 DLLs) into your Strike Fighters 2 game folder: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk. You need a Vulkan-compatible GPU. The wrapper can greatly improve the experience with the mod. With DXVK I can play the mod on a mere Intel UHD 710, whereas without it the mod would always crash to desktop. Go to Sound and set Sound Channels to 32. We got reports that 16 is not enough and will cause crashes on some systems, due to the higher quality sounds included within the mod. The mod is pretty heavy for the game engine despite huge optimizations. Strike Fighters 2's engine is 32bit only and apparently does not manage VRAM properly; consecutive campaign missions might show black/missing textures on objects or cause crashes to desktop because the game does not release the occupied VRAM from the previous mission you played, thus the more missions are loaded consecutively, the more easily you may run out of memory. Set Ground Objects to Medium or Low, Horizon Distance to Near, and Shadows to Medium or Low. These are the most troubling settings. Avoid Unlimited settings as much as possible. If the mod used to work and suddenly crashes to desktop, updating or reinstalling video drivers should help. Make sure that DirectX June 2010 Redistributables are also installed, they are included inside the ISO disk image of the mod. Inside the mod folder, you'll find some extra text files. "(Coalition Order of Battle)" should be of your interest; the mod's terrain covers the entirety of Iraq, at the cost of not having all of Saudi Arabia; this means that a number of important units are based on airbases that are beyond the in-game playable area. With those units you always spawn near the target area, you'll never get to start from a runway nor to land on the assigned runway beyond the invisible wall. You have an entire list of the affected units in the aforementioned text file. By pressing ALT+N, the plane returns to base automatically. The mod is fully compatible with the Campaign Customizer and Mission Editor DLCs by ThirdWire. The Campaign Customizer might be an alternative way to experience those off map units I mentioned previously, since it assigns you to a random airbase of the in-game flyable area. Escort missions are often broken, this is not an issue of the mod, but a bug of the stock game; sometimes the AI flight you escort does not engage its target and keeps flying in a straight line instead of following waypoints, thus the trigger for mission success will never happen. Abandon the mission or retry it if the issue happens, sometimes it works. Pray for ThirdWire AKA Tsuyoshi Kawahito to work on a 64bit version of Strike Fighters 2, maybe even with support for DirectX 12. With that done, any out of memory issues should become an old memory.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..