menrva i gave it a 3 star review because of all the mods i have installed for this game this was the only one that didnt work , maybe it was something with the filles because i took the same mod from another source and it worked great

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, alecsandru1990 said:

i took the same mod from another source and it worked great

There's no other source I know of. Please tell me where you got it from.

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

There's no other source I know of. Please tell me where you got it from.

Probably the original desert storm mod.

3 hours ago, alecsandru1990 said:

menrva i gave it a 3 star review because of all the mods i have installed for this game this was the only one that didnt work , maybe it was something with the filles because i took the same mod from another source and it worked great

Each one of the required TW titles had a .cat file that you need for the mod to work .... If you do not have required .cat files the problem is on your end. 

• Thanks 2

Menrva,

Thank you for the hard work on this, and thank you for the Christmas gift of the mod. Very much appreciated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Icarus999 Thanks to you! Not everyone bothers to say a simple thank you.

I also want to stress out that this was all possible to teamwork and to all the support I got from awesome and talented modders. I found myself in some sort of lead role during the project, but without them the mod would have been a mere shadow of what it is now. My thanks go to @yakarov79, @guuruu@GKABS@Viper63a@paulopanz@daddyairplanes@1977Frenchie@dtmdragon@Crusader@baffmeister@Jimbib@ravenclaw_007@Nyghtfall@Veltro2k@Dels@RustyKurnass@Stick. Other previous modders are also credited in the Thanks screen of the mod; many of them did contribute indirectly with their amazing past creations, still used to this day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

i honnestly have no clue i went in a lot of websites , but what i can tell you is that the instalation was different in the mod that did not work there was an install exe , in the one i got there were 3 parts , had to extract them from the archive and put a lot of files in (saved games) then delete 2 more filles because i couldnt see enemy planes on map and after it worked

however i doubt that the version that worked for me was made by someone else rather than this team so yeah amazing job , i would just like to say that if anyone encounters my error i had to try and find it with another means of instalation such as extracting from rchive 

8 minutes ago, alecsandru1990 said:

however i doubt that the version that worked for me was made by someone else rather than this team

No, that mod is totally unrelated to ours, it was made by other authors and it's entirely different.

8 minutes ago, alecsandru1990 said:

i would just like to say that if anyone encounters my error i had to try and find it with another means of instalation such as extracting from rchive 

There are no other means. In the download page there is a description of how to use the installer. The path for installation needs to be your Strike Fighters 2 game directory, where you have the required SF2 games installed. The mod will be installed automatically in a proper mod folder in the correct path on your system disk. We cannot provide more help than this. I just explained it and more details for installation are in the download page. If you do not know how to use the installer, nothing we can do.

Edited by Menrva

A hotfix has just been uploaded, it is available at the end of the mod's description page. Manual installation knowledge is required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

thank you for the continued support. I personally had no issues getting the mod to work but it's great to see the dedication you have to helping people get this awesome mod working for as many people as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, whiteknight06604 said:

thank you for the continued support. I personally had no issues getting the mod to work but it's great to see the dedication you have to helping people get this awesome mod working for as many people as possible.

My thanks to you for the kind words. It's nice to see our dedication being recognized. Some might take it for granted but should remember that many payware products don't get the same amount of bugfixing and end-user support. We are doing it for free, all for passion and fun of creating new virtual experiences.

The mod also got its own page on ModDB, but just for spreading news about it. It's only available here. Got a pointless comment by a Guest user claiming that the mod is a scam, requiring users to buy it on the other site where it is hosted. We modders got no single dime from it, even though I'd need some for a new crate; ironically I can barely run the mod on my decade old PC due to excessive loading times. Maybe I should pride myself in seeing some amount of false and/or hateful statements. If we attract both flak and praise, it means we've done something special, I guess.

In other news, I just added Suggestions for CTD issues at the end of the mod's description page, above the Hotfix. Those suggested settings should help end-users experiencing crashes to desktop.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 3

@EBW For troubleshooting and support, you might want to post in this topic instead of the review section. Thanks for the positive comment, though! :drinks:

No idea why the mod does not work on your end, but if you have an old low-end system, you might try to set all graphics settings to Low. This is not stock Strike Fighters 2, the mod is much heavier on resources than stock ThirdWire games, hence you might not be able to use the same settings between the two. Also, you must have a dedicated GPU. Intel's integrated GPU is not supported and never will be, it simply cannot handle a big number of polygons and high resolution textures on this old game engine.

Let me reiterate to anyone; Minimum Requirements about video card and CPU are what they are, minimum requirements. If you're just above them, don't expect to be able to run this mod with settings on High or Unlimited. Strike Fighters 2 is one thing, this mod is another. If you can run Strike Fighters 2 on High and Unlimited, the same cannot be directly applied to the mod. It all depends on your system.

EDIT: Mod page appears as updated, but I simply added some more info in the Suggestions for CTD issues section. Mod package is the same of December, please do NOT re-download.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

A clarification for the few ones that experienced a not working installer (without giving clues nor proof they could have given). The installer is a highly compressed package (15GB compressed to 3GB); this was possible thanks to a 64bit compression algorithm. This means that the installer may not work on 32bit systems; I am surprised people still use x86 systems in 2022 as my low-end PC already featured x64 architecture back in 2013. In the future I may plan to recompile the installer (it takes half a day if not more just to compress all files). I do not guarantee it will happen, definitely not soon. Thank you for your understanding.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

Been a hot minute since I've been able to play SF2 at all since I changed shifts at work, but last weekend I finally upgraded to the current version of the mod. Still an awesome job done by all. Really enjoy it. Game suddenly decided it won't work anymore on my computer, but that's either on SF2 or my hardware. Due for an upgrade anyway!

The entire mod has been re-uploaded and now awaiting approval. This is the same v0.9.6 version released in December but with the January Hotfix integrated into it. The only big difference is about the installer now using x86 compression, hence now it should run on a 32bit Windows OS. If you have already downloaded the mod and the installer works for you, there is little reason to download it again. Take care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@elo82 You should post in this support topic for help, not in the comments section.

I wish I could help, but the issue you are having has to do with your system, the mod works for pretty much everyone else. You must point the installer's path to your Strike Fighters 2 game directory (you need all three SF2 games installed: SF2, SF2 Israel and SF2 North Atlantic), patched to the latest July 2013 patch. After installation of the mod, you should find something like this in your Strike Fighters 2 directory (not the mod folder):

Immagine114220.thumb.png.3e094b405caea403d11f7d723ca290f3.png

If you do not have all three SF2 games I mentioned and do not use the latest July 2013 patch, the mod simply won't work. I cannot help more than this, I'm not on your system and I simply cannot have a clear picture of what's happening on it.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

The game doesnt work for me.When I start the game only the black screen stay a seconds and then comes out.Somebody can help me?

Edited by elo82

6 hours ago, elo82 said:

The game doesnt work for me.When I start the game only the black screen stay a seconds and then comes out.Somebody can help me?

First of all, this is not a standalone game, but a mod requiring you to own and have installed three Strike Fighters 2 games from ThirdWire. Second, you can't expect help when you keep ignoring my posts where I tell you what to check. Third, without any details, it's just childish to ask help like you do. You already did not one, but three times already. We cannot help you since you're on deaf ears and you still give zero clues of what you did on your end.

This is the post you have ignored, just above yours, and I had pinged you.

On 20/1/2022 at 11:43 AM, Menrva said:

I wish I could help, but the issue you are having has to do with your system, the mod works for pretty much everyone else. You must point the installer's path to your Strike Fighters 2 game directory (you need all three SF2 games installed: SF2, SF2 Israel and SF2 North Atlantic), patched to the latest July 2013 patch. After installation of the mod, you should find something like this in your Strike Fighters 2 directory (not the mod folder):

Immagine114220.thumb.png.3e094b405caea403d11f7d723ca290f3.png

If you do not have all three SF2 games I mentioned and do not use the latest July 2013 patch, the mod simply won't work. I cannot help more than this, I'm not on your system and I simply cannot have a clear picture of what's happening on it.

I always try to help. In this case, I cannot go further than this.

Edited by Menrva

Have installed the updated version, yet I am still getting CTD's despite following recommended settings etc. I've tried disabling my AV, tried the game with no controllers installed, minimum graphics settings, you name it. I have included my Direct X info if anyone would like a look and see if anything is wrong. 

DxDiag.txt

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Steve112 said:

I have included my Direct X info if anyone would like a look and see if anything is wrong. 

Thank you, Steve. That was useful indeed. The DXDiag shows two problem signatures: nvwgf2um.dll (which should be NVIDIA D3D10 Driver) and GraphicsEngineDX10.dll (which is Strike Fighters 2's DX10 library for the graphics engine). This has nothing to do with the mod, sadly. Nvidia driver updates randomly cause game-breaking issues on old games like SF2 where the DirectX 10 implementation was done rather poorly.

I strongly suggest the following: reinstall DirectX runtime libraries from June 2010 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109) and reinstall/update the Nvidia drivers on your end. Also avoid setting the Effects to Unlimited in the game's options. Hopefully this will sort the issue out.

Edited by Menrva

Could this be due to a corrupt installation of the Thirdwire games, or a missing game since they need all of them? Would it be possible for the installer to verify the existence of all the correct paths and excutables before it installs and maybe report back if something is missing or out of place? Thinking out loud not trying to disrupt your support thread.

E

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] McDonnell Douglas Phantom F-4L (USMC)
      McDonnell Douglas F-4L (USMC/USN) Phantom for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2
      This is a simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-4M_75 to give a fictional USMC Phantom F-4L with markings for VMFA-333 'Shamrocks'. Also included is a USN VF-111 scheme that generally uses stock decals but is included here to give a blank F-4L tail for you to do other squadrons by using stock decals. It goes without saying that you will need to have the F-4M_75 from SF2:Europe.

BACKSTORY
      With all the considerable design effort being put into the marriage of the Phantom airframe and the Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan engine McDonnell Douglas thought it might be a good idea to propose a version to the US Navy to allow the Phantom to operate from the smaller carriers that were limited to F-8E Crusaders. In June 1966 the designation F-4L was given to the proposed Spey-powered Phantom and in October 1966 an initial order for 130 F-4L's (USN/USMC) was made, followed by an unexpected export order of 30 F-4L's for the Royal Australian Navy.
      Deliveries to the US Navy commenced in February 1969 with VF-24 becoming the first operational squadron followed by VMFA-333. By this time the wisdom of operating such a relatively large aircraft on the older, smaller carriers was being questioned and most F-4L's served aboard the larger carriers or with land-based units. 
      When the decision was made not to re-equip the USMC 'fighter-attack' Phantom squadrons with the hugely expensive Grumman F-14A Tomcat, McDonnell Douglas pushed hard for low-rate production of the F-4L to continue specifically for USMC use and they were eventually successful meaning that production continued until 1976 with an eventual total of 306 F-4L's being built. Apart from Australia, F-4L's also served with the Royal Air Force where 15 ex-USN F-4L's were sold to the UK Government to allow the formation of an additional home-based Phantom squadron to release a squadron for the defence of the Falkand Isles. 

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-4L_75 folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-4L_75 folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - February 17th, 2024.

Submitter Spinners Submitted 01/24/2010 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      McDonnell Douglas F-4L (USMC/USN) Phantom for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2
      This is a simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-4M_75 to give a fictional USMC Phantom F-4L with markings for VMFA-333 'Shamrocks'. Also included is a USN VF-111 scheme that generally uses stock decals but is included here to give a blank F-4L tail for you to do other squadrons by using stock decals. It goes without saying that you will need to have the F-4M_75 from SF2:Europe.

BACKSTORY
      With all the considerable design effort being put into the marriage of the Phantom airframe and the Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan engine McDonnell Douglas thought it might be a good idea to propose a version to the US Navy to allow the Phantom to operate from the smaller carriers that were limited to F-8E Crusaders. In June 1966 the designation F-4L was given to the proposed Spey-powered Phantom and in October 1966 an initial order for 130 F-4L's (USN/USMC) was made, followed by an unexpected export order of 30 F-4L's for the Royal Australian Navy.
      Deliveries to the US Navy commenced in February 1969 with VF-24 becoming the first operational squadron followed by VMFA-333. By this time the wisdom of operating such a relatively large aircraft on the older, smaller carriers was being questioned and most F-4L's served aboard the larger carriers or with land-based units. 
      When the decision was made not to re-equip the USMC 'fighter-attack' Phantom squadrons with the hugely expensive Grumman F-14A Tomcat, McDonnell Douglas pushed hard for low-rate production of the F-4L to continue specifically for USMC use and they were eventually successful meaning that production continued until 1976 with an eventual total of 306 F-4L's being built. Apart from Australia, F-4L's also served with the Royal Air Force where 15 ex-USN F-4L's were sold to the UK Government to allow the formation of an additional home-based Phantom squadron to release a squadron for the defence of the Falkand Isles. 

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-4L_75 folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-4L_75 folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - February 17th, 2024.

• By Menrva
      Welcome To Duty
      Built with the extraordinary expertise and dedication of modders from CombatACE.com, Operation Desert Storm – 30th Anniversary Edition promises to be the most complete total conversion ever made for Strike Fighters 2 by ThirdWire.
      Fly with more than 50 aircraft ranging from Cold War relics to the most advanced platforms. Gain air superiority in the mighty F-15C Eagle or challenge the Coalition with the agile Fulcrum. Support troops with the A-10A Thunderbolt II, bomb strategic targets with the stealthy F-117A Nighthawk, lead airfield denial operations in the iconic Tornado.
      Enjoy a beautifully rendered scenario on a scaled and accurate terrain. Fly over the lakes and rivers of Mesopotamia, the oil-rich fields of Kuwait, the mountains of Iran and Turkey. Take-off from aircraft carriers stationed in the Persian Gulf to watch over Kuwaiti oil rigs. Perform landings and patrols in more than 90 airports and air bases in the Middle East.
      Take part in different campaigns including the Iraqi blitzkrieg on Kuwait and the US-led liberation of the Kuwaiti Emirate. Discover how the Iraqi Army was one of the biggest in the world, through the eyes of American, British, Canadian, French, Italian and Arab pilots. Test your skills and abilities flying for the Iraqi Air Force during all stages of the conflict.
      Thirty years after, Operation Desert Storm still remains the largest air operation of modern warfare to date. Modders and flight sim enthusiasts at CombatACE teamed up to bring you a unique product in the lite flight sim world. Exquisitely detailed aircraft and paint schemes are delivered in a well-researched and thorough order of battle.
      The ODS 30th AE Development team would like to thank CombatACE.com, its admins, moderators and contributors.
      We are sure you will enjoy and appreciate this high-quality freeware product. From the aviation enthusiasts, to the aviation enthusiasts... and for the pilots of tomorrow.

Minimum Requirements
      Required products from ThirdWire:
      Strike Fighters 2, July 2013 patch Strike Fighters 2: Israel, July 2013 patch Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic, July 2013 patch Full support for:
      Mission Editor DLC Campaign Customizer DLC System specs:
      OS: Windows 7 x86 Processor: Dual Core 2.7 GHz Memory: 4.0 GB RAM Hard Drive: 17.0 GB Free Space Video Card: 1024 MB DirectX 10  
      Sneak Peek

Disclaimer
      CombatACE.com shall at all times retain ownership of the Software as originally downloaded by you and all subsequent downloads of the Software by you. The Software (and the copyright, and other intellectual property rights of whatever nature in the Software, including any modifications made thereto) are and shall remain the property of CombatACE.com and of the respective developers/modders.
      In no event, unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, shall CombatACE.com, or any person be liable for any loss, expense or damage, of any type or nature arising out of the use of, or inability to use this installer or program, including, but not limited to, claims, suits or causes of action involving alleged infringement of copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, or unfair competition.
      The Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary Edition modification does NOT comply with CombatACE's Freeware Licensing. Various contents of this modification are exclusive, as such you are NOT allowed to share, redistribute and/or make use of the mod and/or its contents for other purposes, without the consent of the mod's developers. Contents of the modification are the copyright of their respective authors.

Notes about the installer
      Beware, the mod is available only in the ISO format. You can either mount it on a virtual drive, burn it on a DVD like in the good old days, or unzip it with 7-Zip or equivalent software.
      The installer will automatically detect your installation of the required Strike Fighters 2 games by reading through the registry keys. Game folders that are copied from or manually moved from where they were originally installed are not supported. You need all three aforementioned Strike Fighters 2 games and they must be installed with ThirdWire's original installers, not manually copied from other sources nor moved elsewhere after installation to other folders or drives. If you do not meet any of these requirements, installation cannot proceed and you are on your own. If you install all required games properly, the installation of the mod will proceed correctly as intended. The installer then lets you choose where to install the mod folder; you can even install the mod on a different drive or partition than the one where Strike Fighters 2 is installed. No further user input nor manual edits after installation are ever required; the installer takes care of creating all proper links to your desired path for the mod folder. After installation is over, simply run the mod by using the created Desktop and/or Start Menu links.
      If you have a previous version of the mod installed, please use the uninstaller to remove it completely. Clean installation is mandatory. You might want to make a backup of the Controls folder, so that you can easily restore your controller settings afterwards.

Suggestions on common issues
      Make sure that you are using your dedicated GPU. By default, Strike Fighters 2 usually selects the integrated GPU you may have on your CPU, which is much weaker in terms of VRAM. In case you have frequent crashes or black/missing textures, I highly suggest you download and install the DXVK graphics wrapper (x86 DLLs) into your Strike Fighters 2 game folder: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk. You need a Vulkan-compatible GPU. The wrapper can greatly improve the experience with the mod. With DXVK I can play the mod on a mere Intel UHD 710, whereas without it the mod would always crash to desktop. Go to Sound and set Sound Channels to 32. We got reports that 16 is not enough and will cause crashes on some systems, due to the higher quality sounds included within the mod. The mod is pretty heavy for the game engine despite huge optimizations. Strike Fighters 2's engine is 32bit only and apparently does not manage VRAM properly; consecutive campaign missions might show black/missing textures on objects or cause crashes to desktop because the game does not release the occupied VRAM from the previous mission you played, thus the more missions are loaded consecutively, the more easily you may run out of memory. Set Ground Objects to Medium or Low, Horizon Distance to Near, and Shadows to Medium or Low. These are the most troubling settings. Avoid Unlimited settings as much as possible. If the mod used to work and suddenly crashes to desktop, updating or reinstalling video drivers should help. Make sure that DirectX June 2010 Redistributables are also installed, they are included inside the ISO disk image of the mod. Inside the mod folder, you'll find some extra text files. "(Coalition Order of Battle)" should be of your interest; the mod's terrain covers the entirety of Iraq, at the cost of not having all of Saudi Arabia; this means that a number of important units are based on airbases that are beyond the in-game playable area. With those units you always spawn near the target area, you'll never get to start from a runway nor to land on the assigned runway beyond the invisible wall. You have an entire list of the affected units in the aforementioned text file. By pressing ALT+N, the plane returns to base automatically. The mod is fully compatible with the Campaign Customizer and Mission Editor DLCs by ThirdWire. The Campaign Customizer might be an alternative way to experience those off map units I mentioned previously, since it assigns you to a random airbase of the in-game flyable area. Escort missions are often broken, this is not an issue of the mod, but a bug of the stock game; sometimes the AI flight you escort does not engage its target and keeps flying in a straight line instead of following waypoints, thus the trigger for mission success will never happen. Abandon the mission or retry it if the issue happens, sometimes it works. Pray for ThirdWire AKA Tsuyoshi Kawahito to work on a 64bit version of Strike Fighters 2, maybe even with support for DirectX 12. With that done, any out of memory issues should become an old memory.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..