Hello everybody.

I had an idea to get the F/A-18A in such a form as if it was made by Thirdwire themselves. So that it does not differ from a different style of the game. 

To do this, I am thinking how you can change this version Hornet 

which has a fairly good cockpit, radar screen and HUD etc...

But what needs to be done, and I do not yet understand how:

1) Remove all hornets from this package, leave only the A version, for the style of the game of 1982-1983.

2) Make black engine nozzle one the military thrust.

3) Make the Afterburner a color similar to the default F-15A and F -16A, so that it does not bend during maneuvers

4) Add black weak smoke like default F-16 and F-15

5) Remove all additional weapons (except for external fuel tanks), leave compatibility with default weapons of the game 

6) Add vortices (like in the F-16A) from the slugs and remove the rest of the vortices

7) Add the correct display of the missile type. (now AIM-F is displayed as AIM-7M  on the HUD)

8) Remove the sounds of negotiations from the standard engine sound of the aircraft

Edited by Wrench
Removed colored background --DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!!

I don't get it...

But I guess you're free to do your own tweaks on your downloaded aircraft and game.
(And why that blue text background? Is it another form of 'screaming'?)

Enjoy the game!

3 hours ago, Muesli said:

(And why that blue text background? Is it another form of 'screaming'?)

this is a polite way of screaming, no anger at all. Delicate, friendly scream.

• Haha 3

Not liking that background crap at all.

Wonder If I can edit it, or have the OP change it??? 

EDIT: yup, removed it.

also, just what the hell IS he trying to say??? As far as I've been able to tell, there's very little wrong with Bugs, given game limitations. 

And every one of the points being made, excepting for MAYBE the cockpit display, is either a simple text edit or moving a folder (18C) out of the game

• Like 1

The latest time period for SF-2 is Israel that ends in 1982. That being said the Hornet is not even in service during any time period of these games. 

When I put all these great mods together to build the "Legacy Hornet Package,"  it's intent was to have every version of the Hornet each as a separate aircraft.

If you look closely the do conform with the naming conventions of the other titles.

If you want the earliest version simply use "FA-18A" or "FA-18A-USMC." That gives you 1983 to 1989 era specific aircraft.

The AIM-7M was fielded at the same time as the Hornet A. The M was standard equipment on them when put into service. 

So use of the 7F is anachronistic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And adjusting the game's year span must not be an option, either  :biggrin:

nice to see you around CH!!

• Like 1

The Hornet is an A...C iirc had more recievers\etc on tails(3) each and strengtheners inside of tails. ?  my pdf of hornets buried somewhere

All that stuff is modeled for each type. 

It would be nice, if people would actually look at this mod. A lot of guys did a lot of hard work on it.  

BTW. The afterburner is the exact same one used on the "Team Viper" F-16 mods. 

• Like 2

Thanks Wrench! I had a computer crash, real life, and IL-2 been keeping me away from SF2 recently! 

But!... I always am lurking!

The coolest thing about the Hornet pack too me. Was the "Target Pod as a non  drop weapon.'" Meaning you can select the pod as a weapon and scan through your ground targets. 

After myself and others figured that out, makes A-6E more fun! I guess know one got it.

• Like 3

Guys, I corrected some files in this F/A-18A .

What I managed to do:

HUD:
1) Renamed 9L and 7M to AIM9 and AIM7
2) TD BOX is now stuck at the border of the HUD (like Thirdwire's F16 and F15). This makes it easier to direct the lift vector towards the target.

3) Messege "SHOOT" near TD BOX now in HUD colors
(but for now it is off. See below)

Sound:

1) Aircraft sound now without background radio calls

Engine effects:

1) Added engine smoke similar to Thirdwires F-15

2) Fixed afterburner effect. The afterburner sprite now disappears when it is not working. That is, the engine nozzles are black at military thrust.
3) Afterburner flame is now the same as in Thirdwires F-16 and F-15.

Vapor Effects:

1) Added Vapor to lead edge extension (LEX) (like Thirdwire F-16)

2)  Vapor effects from vertical stabilizers  have been removed

3) Subsonic Cone effect have been removed

Pilot: 

Changed to default Thirdwire F-14A Pilot

Other:

Number of shells for the cannon has been changed to 578 instead 570

Enjoy!

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/GBAS/BC74MLUgb

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What else I would like to fix, but have not yet succeeded:

1) Remove LOFT label when choosing AIM 7 on HUD (I still do not understand where it is registered)

w0Khni8.jpg

2) When choosing the AGM84 Harpoon missile, there is no type of weapon message (like HARM or CCIP)  on the HUD at the ammunition counter.

jzKouIY.jpg

3) How to make the message SHOOT near TDBOX appear only if there is a target within IN RANGE? That is, I would like the "SHOOT" messege on the HUD to appear simultaneously with switching on "SHOOT" message on the canopy frame. Now the "SHOOT" message near TD BOX is constantly on.

Now it only has such attributes

[HUD_TD2]
SymbolType=TD_RADAR
ImageFilename=cockpit\hud\HUD18_SHOOT.tga
ImageSize=0.0450

IWxxv0a.jpg

4) This mod has a glitch texture when looking back within Track IR. (see attached image). How to fix it ?

6x5mQRQ.jpg

5) The wheels of the plane are slightly immersed in concrete. I would like to raise the plane a couple of inches.  (see attached image)

iXxuKvk.jpg

6) I would like to some restrict  of the weapon pylons/stations. For example, so that it would not be possible to hang the early sparrow like AIM-7E on the AIM-7M pylon .. can this be done somehow?

Edited by SandMartin

Are you basing the HUD changes on real world references NATOPS etc or just your own preference?

Yes, I have played the DCS World Hornet many times and watched real footage from F-18 HUD
The fact is that yes, HUD has 9L or 9M, depending on the type of missle. But in this mod, you can specify only either 9L or 9M, which will be incorrect if, for example, you have 9L but 9M is available,  the general name in AIM9 will be more logical, at least it does not mislead. If somehow it is possible to indicate on the HUD so that there are separate 9L and 9M (7M and 7P), depending on the type of missile selected, let me know.

Second, yes, in real "SHOOT" lights up when the target is IN RANGE and you can actually shoot.. 

Third. LOFT mode is only available for AIM-7MH missle (it is not currently in the game).  In this mod, message LOFT is on, although the AIM7M missle does not follow the loft trajectory. Therefore, I want to remove (turn off) "LOFT" message from this mod.

Fourth - When the AGM84 harpoon  is selected, the "HP" indicator on the HUD should be lit

Edited by SandMartin
  • Confused 1

UPD Third: AIM-7F can LOFT too, but the mode must be on (on the stores page) and the missle must fly up the hill.

But since the AIM-7 (all modifications) flies in a straight line in Strike Fighters 2, this means that we are launching them in the NORM mode. Accordingly, there should be no LOFT message on the HUD.

Unless I am mistaken, AIM-7 missiles in SF2 fly in a straight line after being fired, because they are set up as SAHM and the "lofted" option is inactive for SAHM in SF2.

AIM-54 for example is set up as an AHM and has the "lofted" option activated.

• Like 1

I solved the problem of glitch textures in the cockpit.
I had to slightly correct the location of the pilot's head (I moved it forward  and lowered it a little bit) in the cockpit.ini file 
Now, when viewing around, glitches of the textures of the rear seat texture and a glitch of the cockpit canopy do not appear

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Arw1/GuVcV9koN

Edited by SandMartin

Ok, there is my Final Version:

SEE LINK IN POST BELOW

I have corrected the display on the left MFD of weapon types from the vanilla game.

(I realized that the message "clown" cannot be displayed correctly at the moment. If it works, I'll do it later)

Anyway, I'm happy with the final result.

So... where is this thread going?
I still am not getting it in the first place...

Not a frelling clue ... but, if he's enjoying it, who am I to interfere!! :biggrin::drinks:

• Haha 2