I apologize if a discussion on this has already taken place. I just finished reading Red Metal by Mark Greaney and Lt. Col Rawlings IV (an excellent read might I add), a book which explores the idea of a modern war between Russia and the West. We've all played the classic Strike Fighters Dhimar vs Paran campaigns in which F-4s and A-4s take on skies full of MiGs. But what might a modern Dhimar - Paran war look like? The way I imagine it, The Kingdom of Dhimar is loosely based on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and would have high-tech US weaponry in its arsenal, such as M1 Abrams tanks, F/A-18E/F Hornets, some older block F-16s and some old Mirages or even F-4s. Paran could have a mixed fleet of European and Russian tanks and fighter jets. T-90 tanks, Rafales ( or Gripens), Su-24s, MiG-29s, MiG-21s and maybe even a few old Mirages. What is your take on what a 2021 conflict between these two fictional states could look like? What weaponry can we expect to be used?

I could totally see a Parani fleet of JF-17s and Su30s. Perhaps some Su-25s, and some older Soviet/Chinese models.

For Dhimar, F-15Es, advanced blocks of F-16s. I would throw the European aircraft here rather than on Paran, they seem more anti-west than shady guys who can mess with a more anti-west country.  

i would totally play up the China angle for Paran. Paran has been the poor neighbor that wants what Dhimar has. In this decade, while Russia is looking for influence again, the bear still prefers cold hard cash over anything else.

China on the other hand would be more than willing to upgrade infrastructure, update old equipment and sell new stuff at discount. All they have to do is sign up for a few loans and allow a few PLAAF PLAN bases in country.

and THAT, is what could make things interesting

outside of that, follow the money. who gains from helping a country that cant pay too much for said help?

40 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

i would totally play up the China angle for Paran. Paran has been the poor neighbor that wants what Dhimar has. In this decade, while Russia is looking for influence again, the bear still prefers cold hard cash over anything else.

China on the other hand would be more than willing to upgrade infrastructure, update old equipment and sell new stuff at discount. All they have to do is sign up for a few loans and allow a few PLAAF PLAN bases in country.

and THAT, is what could make things interesting

outside of that, follow the money. who gains from helping a country that cant pay too much for said help?

Yep, Belt and Road initiative. Perhaps add some Fantans. J-10s might be pushing it a bit but why not?

• Like 1

i'd see A-5s for cash, J-10s for access. with heavy "contractor" support on the J-10 of course. funny how the Paranis started speaking Mandarin over the airwaves!

interestingly, my view on how Dhimar should be was modelled on the Tiger Force from Tillmans Warriors. The Dhimaris (in my view) would want up to date weapons, yet as simple as can be within the operational needs so that they can support themselves in the event their benefactors change their minds.

So in this instance, i would have gone for a fleet of SAAB/Dhimari Aircraft Corporation F-39C/D and E/F fighters. yes, license built in Dhimar. simplfy the supply chains, effective yet economical.

yes Dhimar is analog to Saudi Arabia in being rich. But the house of Saud didnt have too many neighbors aiming to eliminate them in the first half of their history, so while they bought the toys they never really learned to use them.

i view Dhimar as yes having the purchasing power of Saudi Arabia, but the military acumen closer to Israel. kinda happens when your neighbors are always out to steal from or kill you.

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 3

Alright, being the resident matchup man of my brain, I thought up of this several times before, so here goes nothing.

Let's start with Dhimar:
Tornado GR.4 (RSAF Variant), simple enough, these boys are on their way out anyways so, yeah.

F-39C/D Ghryfyn - Similar to the "Gripen for Canada" program but including more to replace old F-16s.

F-39E/F Ghryfyn - Same as above.

Typhoon FGR.4 - Replacement for the Tornado, only in limited numbers.

F-20A Tigershark - I CAN DREAM DAMMIT!

IAI Lavi - Would be funny to put the design that basically became the J-10, against the J-10.

Mirage 2000 - [muffled le vie en rose in the distance]

F-16C/D - Old F-16s bought during the F-16s heyday, being replaced by Gripens.

Now onto Paran, which will likely be mixed with the Belt-and-Road initiative.

J-10 Firebird - Considering Iran has been rumored to be buying J-10s, this is basically my way of saying it.

F-14A Tomcat - Likely bought as surplus from Iran.

JF-17 Thunder - Feel the wrath of the SD-10s, also counters the F-20A.

MiG-23/27 Flogger - Various Flogger variants hodgepodged together to create a Frankenflogger similar to the Frankencats of Iran.

Su-27/30 Flanker - Early Su-30s and many Su-27s, acquired during the Cold War.

MiG-21BiS - Many third-world nations still have MiG-21s, these'll be FrankenMiGs with parts from donated J-7s.

Dhimar would be supported by a US alliance including but not limited to:

USAF - F-15C, F-15E, F-16C, F-22A, F-35A, B-52, B-1, B-2

USMC - F/A-18A, F/A-18C, AV-8B+, F-35B

USN - F/A-18E/F, F-35C

RAF - Typhoon F.3, FGR.4, F-35A

Royal Navy - F-35B

Canada - CF-188A

Australia - F/A-18E

Israel - F-15A/B/C/D Baz 2000, F-15I, F-16C/D Barak 2020, F-16I, F-35I

Paran would be assisted by most of the nations on the belt and road:

China - H-6, JH-7, J-7, J-10, J-11, J-15, J-16, Su-30, Su-35.

Iran - F-14A, F-5E, the Frankentigers, Possibly J-10s

Pakistan - JF-17, F-16C, F-16D, Mirage III, Mirage 5, F-7P/PG.

Just a few thoughts from my brain haha, this took around 20-30 minuts to type up.

• Thanks 1