00Mayday00

My win 10 install works flawlessly for WOV. Here is how I did it!

Install clean copy of WOV and then follow the instructions given by Norrinor here: 

You do not have to install reshade if you do not want to but all the steps up to that point are necessary and his guide in his PDF format is very easy to follow.

I bought the game from the thirdwire site tried my wov on my windows 10 but never happened to get it to work fallowed the forum as well

I would be happy to trouble shoot it with you if you would like. I will check these forums regularly and even get on a discord if you would like to try and get you sorted. Just shoot me a PM and let me know. Fair warning though :) I work TUES, WED, THURS, night shift so it wont be til this weekend.

I just played around with this last night.

I had two WoV installs:

1. 080306 patch level and YAP2 installed.

2. 2008b patch level.

The first one was unstable.

The second one worked so well, I suspect I can get multiplayer working since Windows 10 does support DirectPlay at this point and I have that option enabled in my optional Windows Features.

I was able to start a multiplayer session and fly around. I just need to install it on a 2nd PC so I can verify that the session can be seen and used by another Windows 10 PC.

• Like 2

I supported SFP1/WoX multiplayer as much as I could, including leaving a server host up 24/7 for quite some time over the years. At its most popular, there were a handful of regulars and a few more intermittent players.

Most people that tried it were turned off by the multiplayer mission limitations: everyone for themselves dogfight or a very simple co-op / PvP mission that starts in the air with a very sterile environment to keep the CPU and internet traffic to a minimum while trying to keep players synced. A lot of people were also turned off by the difficulties caused by using Microsoft's simple DirectPlay interface, which didn't mix too well with routers and firewalls. The only way to make it easy for people to join and reliable enough to be fun was to use a free VPN host, like Hamachi (now long gone). I used to host on Hyperlobby, but advertise how to use Hamachi. The VPN not only made connecting easier and more reliable, but helped the anti-cheat file checker system work more correctly. Sometimes, even with a clean install, the file checker wouldn't let someone join and there was no way to disable it.

You can have a maximum of 16 players, with the co-op having a maximum of 8 players per side. You can't script missions, you can't start on the ground, and you can't have aircraft carriers. Adding mods also causes problems, because anyone who wants to join has to have the same mods. The solution was to provide a complete mod package. But even with that, every time a new person comes and tries to join, they have to figure out where to download the mod and how to install it correctly. My solution after trying to deal with all of that was pretty simple: the host server should be a clean install of the most popular version of the game. Typically I hosted either Wings Over Vietnam or Wings Over Europe, as those were the most popular games. I would have preferred hosting a merged WOV/WOE install, but most people didn't have a merged install.

Despite all of the limitations, I loved flying all those great airplanes in a player vs player environment. One night, 12 people were briefly flying on my server at the same time. That was a big deal for a server that was lucky to have 3 or 4 people on at the same time on an given night.

So, I have demonstrated Wov 2008b multiplayer on my home LAN using two Windows 10 PCs. I was able to host on one PC and join with another.

But, I still crash to desktop more often than not when exiting the game.

The next step is to see if I can host/join over the internet.

Edited by streakeagle

It may only be coincidental, but after changing on ini option in the enb series ini, I am able to quit without crashing:

AllowAntialias=1

I always use antialiasing, so when I was poking around the ini looking for something that might help out with the CTDs, I saw this one and toggled it from 0 to 1. 

• Like 2

No matter what compatibility settings I try, I still get random success/failure exiting the flight.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:14 PM, streakeagle said:

No matter what compatibility settings I try, I still get random success/failure exiting the flight.

Streak,

You might want to try this instead of enbseries. It gives me better frame rate and seems to be more stable (though I have an old PC and am still on Win 7).

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/

I can't get a better frame rate. It is locked at vsync 60 Hz.

It is of little consequence. My sole purpose for running the SFP1/WoX series is to host multiplayer if anyone is interested. The instability primarily occurs at mission exit, which doesn't hurt multiplayer hosting in any way. But so far, I haven't had anybody take me up on trying multiplayer.