I noticed that some of the planes have LABS timers in them. Do they work? It would be nice to be able to toss a nuke at a target. Just like it is suppose to happen. Especially in the Europe 1962 campaign. Any ideas? :crazy:

It's not implemented yet, though my understanding is that the developer would be willing to model it if some one with RL experience (using LABS), were to come forward and explain its operation to him.

That link didnt work, FooFighter.

TK has already stated that Diane is somewhat beyond the scope of a "sim-light" (which is what he originally intended the SF series to be). That's not to say that he would object to someone figuring out a realistic, but simplified compromise that would allow for its implementation ;)

Guest IndioBlack

TK has already stated that Diane is somewhat beyond the scope of a "sim-light" (which is what he originally intended the SF series to be). That's not to say that he would object to someone figuring out a realistic, but simplified compromise that would allow for its implementation ;)

DIANE is basically a waypoint course on a TV screen. It's referred to as the "highway in the sky". The pilot follows the steering cues on his screen - the same way that we Sim pilots follow the waypoint markers in the sky - all the way to the Initial point. Keeping it simple: the pilot then adopts a correct speed and altitude approach to the target and follows the command heading until the pull-up cue shows, whereupon he holds down the pickle button and pulls up. The on-board computer then works out the optimum release point and automatically kicks off the bombs at that point.

The hard-stuff is all done by DIANE. So emulating it should be fairly straightforward. The waypoints go on a TV screen instead of on the sky. Providing the pilot follows the points, holds the bomb release button and pulls up when instructed, all the Sim has to do is automatically put the bombs on target, which should be a simple computation. If you're worried that this is so automated that the Pilot could never miss, then you're beginning to understand how clever DIANE is.

Simple enough?

My apologies. I was unaware of that.

I think that LABS would work best for SF/WOV as it's wouldn't require too much redesign for the gauges. Basically I think it's a modified ILS gauge that you follow too the target, then to the loop, and get outta there. I'll see if any of my prof's have experience with LABS.