Chugster

Best F/a-18 Sim that isnt DCS?

So I am getting on a bit of a retro gaming thing and am buying old sims from the 90s/00s and I wanted to get an F/A-18 sim but there are quite a few and i am not sure what to go with, I remember Janes FA-18 and FA-18 Korea but a google search found more, FA-18 3.0, FA-18E Super Hornet, Carrier Strike Fighter IFA-18 and FA-18 Precision Strike Fighter.

Is there one that most would agree was the best? Kinda leaning towards the Jane's one right now.

Edited by Chugster

Janes F/A-18 has a good cockpit and great avionic and systems modeling but its flight model is bad.

Edited by KJakker

Best FM in Hornet 3 series.

Hornet 3.0 -> Korea -> Precision Strike Fighter (my favorite) -> Operation Iraq Freedom -> Operation Desert Storm

Edited by SandMartin
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, SandMartin said:

Best FM in Hornet 3 series.

Hornet 3.0 -> Korea -> Precision Strike Fighter (my favorite) -> Operation Iraq Freedom -> Operation Desert Storm

This, the "Hornet 3.1" and "Hornet Korea" sims by Graphic Simulations - great times on a beige Power Mac in the mid to late 1990s in both of those sims - and a fine FM for the time. Also a thick user manual was included with "Hornet Korea," and support for 3dfx/OpenGL graphics. Then again, the flat-polygon-type graphics in "Hornet 3.1" were quite acceptable too. I still have both installed somewhere on a retro laptop but I suppose I should, one of these days, try to recreate the goodness in SF2 vanilla - have recently installed some Super Hornets there, and also C-variants of the Hornet (I think the C-variants were modeled in the sims by GraphicSim too).

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

What kind of peripherals do you intend to use with these games?  Hotas and rudder pedals or simple twist handle joystick?  Do you use Track-IR?  What OS do you plan to install and run it under?

Wizard

Edited by Wizard43

I'd say after DCS, the F/A-18E Superbug by Vertical Reality Simulations and then the F/A-18s in SF2.

Off topic, as i think this is nowhere near what you are looking for, but i remember an old DOS game i had, "Black Knight: Marine Strike Fighter", i was obsessed with it.