Hi Dresam,

Some of the cockpits have all dials animated (like the excellent Morane-Saulnier N available for FE2). Other third-party aircraft only have static dials/gauges - I think that there may be a few where the control stick/rudder pedal assembly also don't move - on older models. Stephen's cockpit models are usually all animated and high-quality. Several cockpits in Geezer's various beta packages that have been released may have static gauges since those cockpits were never fully completed.

In terms of effects, I have animated gun flashes (smaller than stock in my case), and light tracer fire - will dig into my effects folder after work and will see if I can PM you the necessary files.

Some aircraft, especially early ones, have no sights on their guns - this makes it difficult to position properly when shooting - usually the spot a cm or two above the engine cowling of your aircraft is where you should expect the bullets to hit an opposing aircraft - but it often takes practice. It may also be an effects folder problem in your case, and you therefore don't see damage effects on aircraft. Will look through my effects folder later on and will let you know.

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Fixed typos.

Sr. Dresam:

did the effects and such work on the STOCK game, before you added anything? Just checking that things were working 'as advertised' before mods were added. :smile:

Hello.

Yes, in the base game I didn't have that problem.

It seems that I have installed some mod incorrectly.

I will try to install again.

Ah, I get lost in the thread, where can I find good booths?

Greetings.

Hello again.

Is there a way to change the zoom speed ?.  By default, it runs very slow.

I would also like to change the scale of the map - M key - more quickly.

And finally, I find that the movements of the pilot's head - I use opentrack - are more limited than in other simulators.  Does this have a solution?

Greetings.

Greetings Dresam,

To increase the field-of-view from within an aircraft's cockpit, open the cockpit.ini file located in the aircraft folder for any aircraft and increase the min/max yaw values, perhaps also the pitch. The relevant entries are:

MaxYaw= a positive value
MinYaw= a negative value
MaxPitch= a positive value

I am assuming that this will improve head movement with Track IR and other things too (I only use padlock view so hopefully those with proficiency with Track IR will pitch in with more info.).

Map zoom/zoom speeds I have not tinkered with (I think, from usage, that left-click on the mouse speeds up view zoom, when in external aircraft view - it is faster that way than using the scroll wheel on a mouse ... perhaps it's worth trying that out when in map view too).

Hopefully more FE2 fliers will be able to give you advice on those topics.

Von S

Thanks VonS.

You appear to be the only active member in the forum.

I cannot find the cockpit.ini file.

However, it would be a difficult task to modify those values for each aircraft.  It would be nice if it could be done in a general way for all models.

Ah, I find it surprising that it does not use trackir, the trackir gives another degree of immersion to the simulator.

Greetings.

Hi Dresam, there should be a cockpit.ini file in each aircraft folder - but they have slightly different names. For example, the Alb. D.II has the following name for its cockpit initialization file - "AlbatrosD2_COCKPIT.INI." When you open that file, you will find the following info. near the top of the file:

[CockpitData]
Directory=Cockpit

[GunsightFront]
HasGunsight=FALSE
FixedSight=FALSE

[CockpitSeat001]
ModelName=AlbatrosD2Cockpit.lod
HideExternalNodeName=Cockpit
OpenCockpit=TRUE
ExternalClipDistMin=0.04
Position=0.0,-0.82,0.73
Offset=0.0,0.0,0.00
ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
MaxYaw=110
MinYaw=-110
MaxPitch=50

The relevant values to tweak are included in bold, above.

I don't think it is possible to modify max/min cockpit view values for all aircraft via one file - but if you are willing to experiment try to include the entry below into the "AIRCRAFTOBJECT.INI" file that is located in the "Objects" folder of your FE2 user directory, and save the changes.

[CockpitData]

MaxYaw=180
MinYaw=-180
MaxPitch=70

I have never tried this myself but it's worth a shot - if it doesn't work, simply remove the entry and re-save the Aircraftobject.ini file again.

In terms of TrackIR, I believe there is an unofficial way of getting it to work with the FE2/SF2 sims. - but someone else will have to pitch in with more info. regarding that since I only use the padlock view.

The FE2 forums have a few active posters but our forums are small and usually sleepy on weekends. I've managed to memorize most of the FE2 tweaks since I've been modding the FMs for several years, so it's not too much trouble for me to pop in quickly and give advice if necessary.

EDIT: Here are some links that may help you regarding TrackIR and FE2/SF2:

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/83894-trackir-6dof/

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/93718-track-ir-and-fe-2/

Greetings,

Edited by VonS
Added info.

Thanks VonS.

The point is that this cockpit.ini file is not present on all aircraft.

But it works.

Greetings.

Hi Dresam, aircraft folders missing the cockpit.ini file are most likely the stock FE2 aircraft such as the Alb. D.V, etc. In order to find the cockpit.ini files for those aircraft:

a) download Mue's Tool Box https://combatace.com/files/file/15942-mues-toolbox/

b) open the "CatExtractor" program that is inside his excellent tool box

c) navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\First Eagles 2\Objects via the CatExtractor (where the actual sim files are located, not your user folders for FE2)

d) open ObjectData001, ObjectData002, ObjectData003, ObjectData004 via the CatExtractor and extract any ini files that you are missing from your user folders for FE2, to your desktop

e) once extracted, place the relevant ini files into the aircraft folders in your user folders/directory for FE2, and modify to taste, before flying in FE2

With the CatExtractor, you can extract stock aircraft skins, ini files missing from your user folders for FE2, and anything else you would like to modify further - which is one of the other great things about the open-concept design of FE2 (and SF2).

Greetings,

Von S :buba:

Might I humbly suggest that this thread get pinned.  I've been working my way through the various forums areas looking for a nice FE2 mod-ing intro and here it is.

• Like 2

Done!

Carry on!! :drinks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello.

I have various problems.

The cockpit view makes me continuously zoom smoothly.  I play with trackir but I have the zoom disabled.  It becomes very uncomfortable to play.

On the other hand, I have tried to install ReShade, the latest version and put the VonS settings but I don't know what I have done wrong.  ReShade I have installed it where I have the executable and the Vons settings in c users saved games thinWire firs eagles.  When I open the game I get a message that I have ReShade but two arrows appear and I can't do anything with ReShade.  While I play on top, I keep getting a message saying I have ReShade installed.

Greetings.

Hi Dresam,

Sorry can't help with suggestions regarding cockpit zooms/views and TrackIR since I only use padlock view and mouse view. Hopefully someone with experience running TrackIR or open-source imitations of TrackIR will pitch in with some tips in this thread.

In terms of ReShade, it does not install into the saved games directory for FE2, but instead, you will find the relevant folders (after a ReShade install has completed) located in the actual game directory for FE2, found at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\First Eagles 2

Having said that, there is one more peculiarity to be aware of for FE2 - as indicated in the included "Read Me" file with the shaders preset package. The peculiarity is that, unlike for SF2, the preset file itself for FE2 does not load into the game directory where the other ReShade-related folders are loaded.

Instead, the FE2 preset file is loaded into:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\First Eagles 2

So, to activate my preset file in ReShade, in FE2, make sure to place "FE2SF2shadersVonS.ini" into the directory location specified immediately above this sentence.

To load the ReShade menu while in FE2, by the way, use the "Home" key on your keyboard - the "Home" key will open up other menu settings in ReShade where you will be able to load my preset file, toggle other filters, etc.

Greetings,

Edited by VonS
Edited post.
  • Like 1

Hola. 

ReShade entendido. 

En cuanto al zoom- el traductor no ha funcionado bien- lo que quiero decir, es que cada vez que giro la vista es como si la cabeza del piloto avanzará hacia delante. 

Saludos. 

Hello.

ReShade understood.

As for the zoom - the translator has not worked well - what I mean is that every time I turn my eyes it is as if the pilot's head is moving forward.

Greetings

Hi Dresam,

Maybe double-check that you do not have the same axes linked to pitch/yaw/zoom views in your Default.ini file located under:

C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\ThirdWire\FirstEagles2\Controls

The relevant entries to check over are included below:

CAMERA_ZOOM_IN=MOUSE_BUTTON01
CAMERA_ZOOM_OUT=MOUSE_BUTTON02
CAMERA_PITCH_AXIS=MOUSE_Y-AXIS
CAMERA_YAW_AXIS=MOUSE_X-AXIS
CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL=MOUSE_Z-AXIS

Greetings,

Von S :smile:

Hello.

I have not been able to properly install ReShade 4.9.1.  I have FE2 installed on H / Thirwire / FE2.

I install ReShade on H / Thirwire / FE2 / FE2.  exe.

Is that correct?

Greetings. 

Edited by dresam

Hi Dresam, yes that sounds correct. Point ReShade to the folder that contains the FE2.exe when installing it. Recommended is first to uninstall ReShade if you have installed it incorrectly, and then re-install it again - pointing to the correct folder that contains the simulator's exe.

Greetings,

Hello.

When I start the game, two white arrows appear, one that is supposed to be for ReShade settings and one for game settings.  ReShade's arrow moves but does nothing.  When I start a mission, the message at the top informing that I have ReShade keeps appearing and is not removed.  Any solution?.

Greetings. 

Hi Dresam, from your explanation it seems that ReShade is loading properly but no preset file has been created, or selected, in it - therefore the message that is constantly seen at the top of your FE2 screen.

Recommended is to press the "Home" button on your keyboard while in FE2 and while ReShade is running - this will open up the full ReShade window with various preferences present. Then search for the relevant preferences tab to load the appropriate preset file (there should be a "+" sign to the right of a box that contains the presets directory path - click on that plus sign to open another sub-window that will allow you manually to navigate to the FE2 preset file, and then to select it and to click "Save").

You may then close the ReShade preferences window and - ideally - no warning windows will be present anymore at the top of your screen while flying FE2, or any other sim. That floating window, when present, indicates that no preset file has been created, or that an existent preset file has not been chosen and saved, for ReShade to be able to open it and apply the necessary settings.

Greetings,

Von S

When you started ReShade, a box to start the demo video appears - at the bottom - and at the top, home windows, settings, etc.  The problem is that the arrow to select what I want moves but it is not functional, I cannot select any option.

I take this opportunity to ask you, although it is not the right thread, about your progress with the ROF AI.

Greetings.

Hi Dresam, that is strange that selection boxes and arrows are non-functional in your ReShade install. I unfortunately don't have any advice on that - beyond perhaps re-installing ReShade once more, to see if that gets rid of the problem. Hopefully others who have had similar experiences with ReShade will post here with possible solutions to such a problem, of non-functional arrows/boxes in the ReShade menu.

Ver. 1.2 of the RoF AI package seems okay so far in further quick combat tests. I have yet to test it further in campaign mode, over the next couple of months - and will keep a record of typical AI behavior in campaign mode. Hopefully it will be an improvement over 1.1 - although I did not fly too many campaigns in 1.1. A final ver. 1.3 of the AI pack will be released maybe much later this year, towards the end of summer, or fall - no earlier - since I want to do more extensive testing with 1.2 than I did with 1.1.

I am currently spending more time in FE2 (and my FrankenWOFF 4.18 install) - since I prefer the immersion of FE2/WOFF - but I will try to find more time for campaigns in RoF too . It is most likely that ver. 1.3 will further improve on 1.2 - but I doubt that much more can be done with the AI in RoF than has been possible already in ver. 1.2. I will have a better picture of what to do in a final version of the RoF AI package in a few months.

Greetings,

HI there. Hopefully thjis thred is still on... I have read all these posts threw but I cannot find the answer of my one and only question : How do you transform a mod created for FE1 into one for FE2 ? I purchased FE2 but the majority of mods are for FE1. More specifically, I am looking for terrain mods and very few are for FE2 ! I tried to install Vosges and Vosgesen  but I have some black tiles and cannot find the way to make them turn into good ones ! also the seasons don't work... Help, Please ... 

@C.Pascal, as far as I am aware, the only mods. from the FE1/FEgold generation that are compatible with FE2 are older aircraft models (for example I run several FE1-era aircraft in FE2). Other mods., such as objects, terrains, etc., are best run in the generation of FE for which they were built. For terrain and other mods. that are suitable for FE2, have a look under this link.

Good terrain mods. that are compatible with FE2 include Caporetto and Caporetto Ver.2, Galicia and Galicia Ver.2, Vosges and Vogesen2, also Italian Terrain. As well compatible are Palestine Terrain (by Stephen1918, not the older Palestine terrain that is available), and North Sea Terrain. As well compatible is the package called First Eagles Seasonal Tiles (by Jan Tuma).

As far as I know, of those custom terrains -- only the package by Jan Tuma includes terrains for several seasons. Obviously, stock terrains in FE2 always include seasonal changes. If you prefer running stock terrains in FE2 to some of the modded terrains, recommended also is the First Eagles Stock Terrains Visual Upgrade (by Stary) -- the upgrade may have been intended for FE1/FEgold but works just as well in FE2.

In terms of visual anomalies such as black terrain tiles, missing tiles, shimmering objects, buildings, etc., recommended is to check over the info. and links in the top half of this post.

Cheers & happy new year,

• Like 1