Included below the two pics. that follow are two small, JSGME-friendly mods. that I have recently been running in RoF United Ed., with good results. The first package includes my tweaked files for stock clouds/skies in RoF and that help to reduce cloud flickering on AMD-vid. cards - and that have been giving me fairly good results. (Recommended is not to run any of the alternative cloud mods. for RoF on AMD-vid. since cloud flickering is then even more noticeable - my package only works with stock clouds/skies in RoF.)

The package below that one is a tweak that gives interesting results - it lightens the oil patches in the "Feathered IV" oil mod. for RoF, but also reduces the size of the TGA file to a perfect square, resulting in a smearing/frosting effect across the pilot's goggles, and other effects such as freezing or crystallization, and that disappear slowly once your engine conks out fully or is shut off. The oil frosting/clouding gives more of a challenge than various other oil mods. and also looks more realistic than the stock, strawberry jam oil effect in RoF. (Pics. immediately below are representative.)

For my AI/DM mod. (ver. 1.3) for RoF United, as well as PWCG "modulations" files, and ReShade presets for RoF/BoM, please see the first page of this thread. All mods. are JSGME-friendly.

Cheers all and happy RoFing,

Von S :smile:

SmearedFrosted1.thumb.jpg.6e89b33d302f66a9da52c88cf4b3fdf2.jpg

SmearedFrosted2.thumb.jpg.33b6f32bdd5b5f7c077d67d8ab3dc117.jpg

ROF_SkyLiteAMDfriendly_ver1.0_VonS.zip

ROF_OilSmearedFrostedGoggles_ver1.0_VonS.zip

Edited by VonS
Added info.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By VonS
      Hello fellow WWI simmers,
      The info. below is relevant to installing ROF (united edition) properly in Win10 (in Bootcamp) on a Mac with discrete graphics cards (in my case a 2013 Mac Pro with FirePro D700 cards, but should work fine on other high-end Macs too). Installing ROF in WineSkin, as was the case a few years ago, is still not worth experimenting with - I recommend the Bootcamp installation route instead.
      First off, install ROF into the main directory of the "c" drive of your Bootcamp install, for the game to launch properly. Also, I recommend, after installation, digging into the relevant "game," "updates," "mission editor" folders, etc., and making shortcuts to the relevant exe files either on your desktop or pinning them to your taskbar - since the main ROF exe "hub" in Bootcamp on a Mac, once you've updated your ROF install to the latest edition - will fail to launch.

In-game video settings that work well are as follows:
      resolution of 1920 x 1080
      fps limiter on (set to max. limit available of 120; this helps to nearly eliminate cloud flickering when used in conjunction with AMD control panel settings included further below)
      full screen
      vert. sync off (turning it on eliminates cloud flickering but caps fps at about 60; better to keep off and use the fps limiter setting capped at 120, which allows for nice, smooth fps in the 80 to 100 range)
      no gamma correction
      enable post-effects
      HDR off
      bloom off
      raindrops off
      super sampling off
      antialiasing 4x
      anisotropic level 8x
      shaders quality high (or maximum)
      light sources 10
      texture detail high
      reflections details medium
      shadows detail special high
      landscape mesh detail 100%
      landscape textures detail high
      forest detail high
      grass quality high
      forest view distance far (or very far)
      objects view distance at least at 60% (or up to 80% for better spotting; avoid 90 and 100% since those impact negatively on FPS with no real, visual benefit over 80%)
      multi gpu/sli on

AMD control panel settings (I recommend setting up a separate profile/settings file for ROF):
      antialiasing use app. setting
      antialiasing method adaptive multisampling
      morph filtering off
      anisotropic filtering use app. setting
      texture filtering high
      surface optimization off
      wait for vert. refresh (off, unless chosen by app.)
      triple buffering off
      shader cache (AMD optimized) -----> changed from "on" to optimized, seems to reduce some cloud flickering further with this setting
      tessellation mode (AMD optimized) -----> changed from "limit to 16x" to optimized, again seems to help slightly to reduce cloud flickering to a minimum
      AMD crossfire mode (AFR compatible) -----> this is the best setting, but also very good is the "default" setting (frame rates are smooth, and cloud flickering is at a minimum this way too)
      frame pacing on

A few representative pics. below (fps average between about 60 and 120, depending on action/congestion/weather etc., usually hovering around 80 or 90). I also recommend picking some of the mods for ROF over on their official site to get the look you want. I've got about 40 or so mods installed through JSGME - the main ones to get the landscapes in my pics are "landscapes ver 4" and "landscapes ver 4 for winter," also the "high texture landscapes" package, "greater ground detail" package, etc. (search the official ROF site for mods/packages since they are hosted across several pages over there). Also good is Gavagai's "reduced lethality" mod that makes the aircraft less flimsy, as well as AI-improvement mods. and other relevant ones hosted there. With the relevant mods. installed, it flies a lot like modded FE2 (unmodded ROF looks very "shiny"...probably too shiny...with the in-game settings above, reflections are more realistic in the sim).
      One other tip, to get the crispy graphics as in my pics., go to the following website and download the "ATI SetLod" app. (if you're running an AMD graphics card) - and set the LOD bias to "-1" if you are using antialiasing at 4x in ROF, set to "-0.5" if using aa at 2x, and set to "-2" if using aa at 8x (make sure to run the app. in administrator mode for this to work, then log out/in or restart Win10). You will appreciate the extra sharpness, especially at altitude (more pics. located under the screenies section for ROF):
      https://community.hwbot.org/topic/137720-benchmark-tweak-software/
      Happy flying,
      Von S 

• By VonS
      Hi All,
      Have now posted my ReShade preset file for FE2 (and SF2) in the following post located under the FM Tweaks Package thread:
      https://combatace.com/forums/topic/87403-tweaked-flight-models-and-realism-pack-for-fe2/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-783977
      See below for examples of before/after pics. with stock shaders and improved shaders loaded in FE2 (the preset was tested in ver. 4.9.1 of ReShade). Was never able to get the ENB Series shaders files working in FE2, or even SweetFX for that matter - but this (later) version of ReShade works great. More details/info. included in the "Read Me" file that comes with the zipped download package.
      I think that the sun/color effects are now a little bit closer to the (realistic) tweaks that Geezer mentioned, a few yrs. back, in one of the threads here - regarding improved lighting and various color effects in FE2. Loading a preset file via ReShade is of course simpler than manually tweaking the environsys.ini file in FE2. The other good thing about these improved shaders is slightly smoother anti-aliasing effects too than in stock configuration. Also, no negative effect on FPS with these shaders loaded and that I was able to observe.
      Happy flying all,
      Von S 

Example One - Stock Shaders in FE2

Example One - Improved Shaders Loaded in FE2

Example Two - Stock Shaders in FE2

Example Two - Improved Shaders Loaded in FE2

• By 76.IAP-Blackbird
      Attention Pilots!

The Lunar New Year Sale has begun in the IL-2 Official Webstore and on Steam! Save between 30% to 85% on most items.

The Lunar New Year Sale runs from 10:00am PST February 11th to 10:00am PST February 15th in the IL-2 Official Webstore and on STEAM.

IL-2 GREAT BATTLES IN IL-2 OFFICIAL WEBSTORE

IL-2 IL-2 GREAT BATTLES ON STEAM

Tank Crew - 35% Off  (Webstore & Steam)

BOS – 85% Off
      BOM – 75% Off
      BOK – 75% Off
      BOBP – 66% Off
      FC1 – 66% Off

Hurricane Mk.II - 35% Off

Yak-9 – 40% Off
      Yak-9T – 40% Off
      Fw-190 D-9 – 66% Off
      P-38 J-15 – 66% Off
      U-2VS -75% Off
      Ju-52/3M – 75% Off
      Bf-109 G-6 – 75% Off
      Yak-1B – 75% Off
      Spitfire Mk. VB – 75 % Off
      LA-5FN – 75% Off
      HS-129 B-2 – 75% Off
      P-40E-1 – 85% Off
      Macchi MC.202 – 85% Off
      Fw-190 A-3 – 85% Off
      LA-5 Series 8 – 85% Off

Ice Ring – 30% Off
      Blazing Steppe – 75% Off
      Fortress on the Volga – 75% Off
      Hell Hawks Over the Bulge – 30% Off (Webstore Only)
      Ten Days of Autumn – 75% Off (Webstore Only)
      Havoc Over the Kuban – 75% Off (Webstore Only)
      Achtung Spitfire! – 75% Off (Webstore Only)

CLIFFS OF DOVER IN IL-2 OFFICIAL WEBSTORE

CLIFFS OF DOVER ON STEAM

Cliffs of Dover: Blitz - 75%
      Desert Wings: Tobruk - 35%

RISE OF FLIGHT IN ROF OFFICIAL WEBSTORE

RISE OF FLIGHT ON STEAM

All ROF Content – 75% Off

Enjoy!

See you in the skies and on the battlefield! 

The Sturmovik Team
    • By VonS

Hello Gents & Fellow Flyers of First Eagles 2,

Included in the same folder with this ReadMe file are over 200 modified data files that I use for aircraft that are available on the CombatAce website for First Eagles 2. I’m very pleased that we have a larger selection of aircraft for the WWI period than WOFFue or ROF – well done modders and many thanks!
      The installation process for the data ini modifications is now streamlined, with all versions up to 9.7 being included per theater in a large “consolidated” folder. Inside that folder you will find earlier “Read Me” files that list previous version histories.   The latest files are found per theater in a separate “DataFilesAdditionsVer99” folder. Also take note of other folders located in the latest ver. 9.9 update, and install items into the relevant folder hierarchy of your FE2 user directory. Always install older version files first before upgrading to the latest ver. FM pack (if you are missing ver. 9.7, for example, first install the files from the big consolidated folder before overwriting with the files from ver. 9.9). General ini files for newer, created aircraft sub-variants not available on CombatAce (such as the Pfalz E.II) can be found in the relevant folders under the large, older consolidated folder.   A great many thanks go out to Peter01 and Ojcar, also TexMurphy, for making most of those flight model files to begin with. Also a great thanks goes out to Stephen1918, MontyCZ and Laton for providing lots of beautiful planes and skins that go with those great flight models, to NBell for the many hitbox improvements provided for the planes, also to VonOben, Mike Dora and Crawford for many helpful suggestions, and to the A-Team by SkunkWorks for allowing me to tweak a few of the FMs for their models too. And of course a very big thanks goes out to Geezer for several fantastic, high-quality models that were produced for FE2.
      What I've done is tinkered with the data files further. Modifications in all cases, to a greater or lesser extent, include data under the following sections:

(a) MissionData
      (b) FlightControl
      (c) AIData
      (d) Sound
      (e) AircraftData
      (f) Engine
      (g) Crew
      (h) Internal Guns
      (i) Control Surfaces
      (j) Landing Gears
      (k) Fuselage, Nose, Tail, Vertical Tail, LeftStab, RightStab, Rudder, Left/Right/Inner/Middle/Outer/Tip Wing components

As always, please read the included "Read Me" file for more thorough installation info. and details regarding the FM tweaks. Enjoy and happy flying!
      Von S
      NOTES: Ver. 9.9 of the FM & Realism Package, among other things, also removes unnecessary "DS_store" files that sometimes show up on the OS X/Mac OS side of my Macs when tweaking data inis. For several of Geezer's latest aircraft and my FMs for those aircraft (Nieuports, Pfalzes, etc.), which are not included in this package, please see the relevant post located towards the bottom of page 25 of the "New Aircraft" thread for FE2, on CombatAce. Also see relevant posts on pages 26 and 27 of that same thread for Geezer's "early beta" collection that contains the Breguet XIV, Junkers J.I, and other updates.
      DISCLAIMER: All Von S mods, for FE2, SF2, also WOFFue, are subject to the CombatAce "freeware" terms of agreement. Mods may be shared with others, included on other media devices, also modded further, providing that original documentation and/or credit is included, and providing that the mods remain free to use. Von S mods shall not be sold, resold, etc., and Von S takes no responsibility for injuries or fixations that may result from flying heavily tweaked FMs or from attempts to enjoy real flying without aid or instruction from a qualified flight instructor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..