Sign in to follow this  
hamburgerjet

Is there a limit on how many Components there can be in AircraftData??

So I've been working on this "pseudo P-42", and I've had to remove dozens of parts from the normal Su-27 using the "HideXXXX" method, but I reached a point where the game just doesn't seem to register any new Components in the AircraftData section. I've been copy-pasting everything too, it just stops abruptly at the 32nd Component for no apparent reason.

In case I'm missing something that should be obvious, here's the Component list as well as a couple of examples.

//It starts at Component[001]=Fuselage, snipped everything for better formatting
Component[029]=HideCylinder07
Component[030]=HideCylinder09
Component[031]=HideSphere01
Component[032]=HideSphere06

//The game doesn't detect anything after this
Component[033]=HideSphere05
Component[034]=Hideantenas2
Component[035]=HideCapsule11
Component[036]=HideCapsule10
//And it goes on after this, but nothing works

[HideSphere06]
ParentComponentName=Fuselage
ModelNodeName=
DestroyedNodeName=Sphere06
DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE
HasAeroCoefficient=FALSE
MassFraction=0.0

[HideSphere05]
ParentComponentName=Fuselage
ModelNodeName=
DestroyedNodeName=Sphere05
DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE
HasAeroCoefficient=FALSE
MassFraction=0.0

As you can see they're both identical. And every other [HideXXXX] is also identical, copy and pasted from the same template.

Not sure about "components", could be limited somewhat like weapon stations where you can only have 32 of.  I understand your commitment, personally I would not bother to remove the landing lights. 

Since there are only 10 allocated weapon station entries in the data.ini you can try to trick the game to hide it. You can add it as a weapon station and put the mesh name in place of the "ModelNodeName=" and leave the  'AllowedWeaponClass=' empty so it will never be loaded. The only thing you will need to add the weapon station system call outs to some major part of the model. Put the "StationGroupID=" to 7 so it will never show up in the loadout screen.
Also if you put the modelnodename of the wingtip pylons onto the weapon station entries (left/rightouterstation) the game will hide them by default if nothing is loaded onto them so that frees up 2 more slots for you.

Edited by logan4
  • Like 1

Yeah I was avoiding using the "dirtier" method of using the weapon stations as I didn't want the loadout screen to be full of empty entries. I didn't know they could be hidden, so that's my problem gone.

Thanks!

you can only have 6 groups of weapons. anything after that has / is becomes hidden in the loadout screen, however, you can lock in a specific load (like a LANTIRN or ECM pod) to the hidden station. That trick goes back to 1stGens

but the statements above are for REMOVING components. If you have to remove that many, there's something wrong with the model, or the direction the mod is going in.

What it sound like is you want an entirely new aircraft, shaped like a Flanker

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

you can only have 6 groups of weapons. anything after that has / is becomes hidden in the loadout screen, however, you can lock in a specific load (like a LANTIRN or ECM pod) to the hidden station. That trick goes back to 1stGens

but the statements above are for REMOVING components. If you have to remove that many, there's something wrong with the model, or the direction the mod is going in.

What it sound like is you want an entirely new aircraft, shaped like a Flanker

It is a "normal" Flanker, but it was stripped down to beat time-to-climb records, which it still holds surprisingly. Everything that wasn't required for safe flight was removed, in fact the Soviets went as far as removing the flaperon, slats, and airbrake actuators. Slowing this thing down from Mach 2+ and 60k ft is a bit of a hassle, I must say.

Anyway, to come as close to the real P-42 as possible, a lot of antennas (antennae?) as well as the landing gear mudguard, HUD, IRST, ventral fins and of course the pylons have to be removed. That means a lot of model nodes. The model itself is, well, what it is, but it's not really the proper model to be fair.

I'm not planning on releasing it or anything. This is just a small project I wanted to make partly because I'm fascinated by the P-42 and wanted to (kind of) fly it, and partly because this is a great excuse (for me) to dive deep into the inner workings of an aircraft, and learn how everything works in SF2. So thanks for the extra bit of knowledge!

• Like 3