Sign in to follow this  
Chugster

Best set up for retro pc gaming?

So I have been on a bit of a retro kick atm, getting nostalgic for 90s pc games. Now the pre-95 Dos games are easy with dosbox and early Win 95 games seem OK to install and run on Win 10 but I am having issues with late 90s games refusing to install or run with various compatability settings.

So I thought a dedicated Win 98, ME or XP environment would be best but I'm not sure the best way. Do a get an older pc to try and run it? Do I dual boot on my Ryzen 9/2080ti pc? Or do I try a virtual environment?

Please give me any opinions, advice, tips or trick you know of..

Thanks in advance

I find Windows 7 to be very amenable to older games. For me, EAW, Mobil Rally Championship and Panzer Elite all work excellently in this OS.

i use PCEMv13 for windows 98 instaled on it.

https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/

PS dont even try to use VirtualBox or kinda things this is a bullshit for old games

PPS i searched a way to play win95\98 games by years and i found that PCEM is the only way. Better is only to buy real Pentium II

Edited by bazillius
PPS

Yes most virtual environments like Virtualbox don't give you full access to your second GPU for gaming - so if the above does allow for that then would probably the best idea.

As for trying to dual boot natively onto an ancient OS and modern hardware that sounds like a nightmare. I remember years back trying to put Win 1998 onto a 2006 PC - and it required a degree of hacking to get it working......not worth it. 

I have installed on one HDD Windows 7 and  on another HDD Windows XP. But Windows XP is not Windows 98 and many great games dont work. And yes i tried to install  Windows 98 on my PC and its impossible. that sounds like a nightmare  as you say)