2 hours ago, Carter28 said:

I'm just hoping that next time i fly a campaign i won't think up some idiotic mission plan that ends in disaster.  I figure the next time i'm really going for a 100 mission patch.

1979, West Germany, On my nth mission in a row as a bomb truck in a Phantom without seeing any MiGs before F-15s eat them up "That Shilka is looking at me funny, how about i go for a head on strafing run?"

Everyday I hope someone crack the EXE code and we can start adding serious stuff without being tied to TK, when TK already said that he doesn't care what we do.

• Haha 2

On 3/15/2021 at 9:09 PM, GKABS said:

Yes that is exactly what I am going though everyday. 

Wel, l I am more realistic I guess: I know I will never see the day when I can actually do that.(just play the game). But I noticed that, even so, I keep going forward editing files. It's a disease, I'm telling you...

Edited by UllyB
  • Like 2

No fear...CA is going to open a special virtual ward some day for affected players...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Stratos said:

Everyday I hope someone crack the EXE code and we can start adding serious stuff without being tied to TK, when TK already said that he doesn't care what we do.

You underestimate the amount of knowledge required to do what you say. We cannot reverse engineer an executable out of nowhere. Without any source code, it's simply not plausible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

You underestimate the amount of knowledge required to do what you say. We cannot reverse engineer an executable out of nowhere. Without any source code, it's simply not plausible.

tv sets expectations waaaay too high on just what can be done.

take us skinners: how many now laugh their tails off when a character "zooms in" and gets a crystal clear image of the license plate or villians face?

if it was that simple i wouldnt spend hours hunting down LARGE (i mean HUGE) pics of nose art and unit patches, and even more hours scratch building images from best looks at the small pictures. you dont lose as much detail scaling down as scaling up my friends

and thats a super common skill. the coding would be quite abit more work, even with source code...... for the few that really know how

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 2

On 2021-03-15 at 9:41 AM, bazillius said:

Every day i hope to start the game and through the internet kick some persons asses from this forum with AMRAAMs

I played sf1s multiplayer a few times with friends years ago, it was fun once we discovered what terrains worked well I wish it wasnt removed, it wasnt amazing but it was fun to mess around with.

• Like 1

What I wish for is to be in the backseat of an A-4 Skyhawk or Mig-21 not in-game but for real (Yes, I was daydreaming) :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MechaStalin said:

I played sf1s multiplayer a few times with friends years ago, it was fun once we discovered what terrains worked well I wish it wasnt removed, it wasnt amazing but it was fun to mess around with.

It would definitely be nice to have multiplayer. I do it in another game and enjoy it. Not SF2 where you fly alone with suspect wingman (don't know what you'll get) and generally fly single-player. A lot of stuff would open up if there was multiplayer though. Virtual squadrons, etc.

25 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It would definitely be nice to have multiplayer. I do it in another game and enjoy it. Not SF2 where you fly alone with suspect wingman (don't know what you'll get) and generally fly single-player. A lot of stuff would open up if there was multiplayer though. Virtual squadrons, etc.

The multiplayer in sf1/woX was pretty barebones but worked fairly well from what I remember, I cant recall if we did it by ip or through a virtual lan.

There was a dogfight mode, I cant remember if it had teams, you could pick nornally not flyable ai planes that would have generic similar cockpits and avionics. You couldnt pick a spawn and loadouts were picked from a general overview based on the planes loadout.ini, not sure if you could change it or if it would have errors based on variances. I also cant remember what would happen if you picked an addon plane the other players didnt have.

Then there was a co op mode, I remember we had the full nato fighters mod and some other stuff installed so modded content worked fine. At first it didnt run very well on the germany map but when we tried addon terrains like israel it ran great.

You would choose your planes, im guessing the host chose a year too but I cant totally remember. Sadly you didnt start on the ground you spawned over your airbase however you could land at the end without issue. Again when you chose a loadout you didnt get to choose each pylon just a general idea I think it was like guns only, guns and missiles, and guns and missiles long range or something like that? Maybe more detailed, again maybe you could fine tune the loadouts.ini. It was essentially the single mission random mission generator with the ability to play with up to 8 people. I remember having a lot of fun with it actually and if you could stand going back to sfp1 theres no reason you couldnt play it today I dont think.  If you look up the video "wings over 88" on youtube I think some of the shots were done in mp with my friend and I.

It was pretty barebones so im not sure why it got removed, the same goes for the Snoopy FAC planes on CAS missions, it was a really nice bit of immersion to have cessnas and i think even Broncos with addons out there calling targets for you even if it didnt make a huge difference in gameplay, again it would be nice if tk let us know what the issues were as to why it was removed.

All we can do is hope someday tk releases all the source codes and we end up with a community dedicated enough to build up off of it at that point unless tk has some sort of slow burn project.

Edited by MechaStalin

5 minutes ago, MechaStalin said:

It was pretty barebones so im not sure why it got removed, the same goes for the Snoopy FAC planes on CAS missions, it was a really nice bit of immersion to have cessnas and i think even Broncos with addons out there calling targets for you even if it didnt make a huge difference in gameplay, again it would be nice if tk let us know what the issues were as to why it was removed.

All we can do is hope someday tk releases all the source codes and we end up with a community dedicated enough to build up off of it at that point unless tk has some sort of slow burn project.

Other than mlracing (who is banned if I remember correctly) we don't really have a programmer in the midst given the level of editing that has been around. More than likely if the code was released then I'm sure a programmer would come along. Until then most of the stuff are just dreams.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MechaStalin said:

The multiplayer in sf1/woX was pretty barebones but worked fairly well from what I remember, I cant recall if we did it by ip or through a virtual lan.

There was a dogfight mode, I cant remember if it had teams, you could pick nornally not flyable ai planes that would have generic similar cockpits and avionics. You couldnt pick a spawn and loadouts were picked from a general overview based on the planes loadout.ini, not sure if you could change it or if it would have errors based on variances. I also cant remember what would happen if you picked an addon plane the other players didnt have.

Then there was a co op mode, I remember we had the full nato fighters mod and some other stuff installed so modded content worked fine. At first it didnt run very well on the germany map but when we tried addon terrains like israel it ran great.

You would choose your planes, im guessing the host chose a year too but I cant totally remember. Sadly you didnt start on the ground you spawned over your airbase however you could land at the end without issue. Again when you chose a loadout you didnt get to choose each pylon just a general idea I think it was like guns only, guns and missiles, and guns and missiles long range or something like that? Maybe more detailed, again maybe you could fine tune the loadouts.ini. It was essentially the single mission random mission generator with the ability to play with up to 8 people. I remember having a lot of fun with it actually and if you could stand going back to sfp1 theres no reason you couldnt play it today I dont think.  If you look up the video "wings over 88" on youtube I think some of the shots were done in mp with my friend and I.

Thanks for explaining how SF1 multiplayer worked!

26 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Other than mlracing (who is banned if I remember correctly) we don't really have a programmer in the midst given the level of editing that has been around. More than likely if the code was released then I'm sure a programmer would come along. Until then most of the stuff are just dreams.

Yup he was making some interesting progress including slew radars/EOS.

53 minutes ago, MechaStalin said:

Oh man that sounds really cool, its a shame there were issues with him.

Yeah, I don't remember the reasoning for his ban (it could be modifying the code which wasn't open-source or some other reason) but anyways that happened and nothing came about it anyways.

Back on topic though I do hope for some more detailed use of a targeting pod. I mean they're all the same (except for name and shape of course), that would make it very interesting to play with.  That  and MFDs that worked so you can have some fun with managing that stuff in mods

We requested it a lot of times, but TK simply answered that we can do what we want with the EXE except redistributing it, that means we can do a patch that changes legally purchased games, of course will be a lot easier with the code.

54 minutes ago, Stratos said:

We requested it a lot of times, but TK simply answered that we can do what we want with the EXE except redistributing it, that means we can do a patch that changes legally purchased games, of course will be a lot easier with the code.

Yes, but to make a patch which fixes broken features, you need a source code. So basically what TK says is: if you're a genius hacker and you wish to create a very small patch after months or years of life spent on reverse engineering it, feel free to do so. It's more a middle finger than anything.

Also, the executable alone does not have any use, so I wonder why he's against redistributing a patched executable. Without the tons of .dll libraries which are the true core of the game, the executable is good for nothing. Actually, if we want to improve and patch the game, we would have to work on those dll libraries, not on the executable. The .exe is just a starter for all them. So TK's words make even less sense. He knows how he programmed the game, features are not hard-coded in the executable, but in those libraries!

All we can possibly do with the .exe and .dll files are just minor hex-edits, but without any idea of what each assembly code does in the executable, it's like going inside a new house completely blinded. And even if we succeed in doing such edits, any changes would remain hard-coded and could compromise the stability and integrity of the game.

Long story short, TK's words in that email have shown already to have no practical use in the long term. Here we are every year beating the same dead horse.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

mlracing made very nice mods without the code, so was definitely possible.

9 minutes ago, Stratos said:

mlracing made very nice mods without the code, so was definitely possible.

My point is not in saying it's not possible, it's just not plausible. The amount of work and effort required is definitely out of reach for most great programmers. You need to be a hacker, someone very special; nothing like that can be achieved in minutes nor days nor weeks. I wish it were so easy, but it isn't. And since there's a source code available (because TK has it, he plans to update the game for Win10/11), I see no point in wasting months of life on reverse engineering a code which exists. We should rather worry about finishing any of our work in progress mods and tools. The rest are just dreams.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

We do not know If TK will ever share the code, maybe the smart thing to do is to start looking just in case.

• Like 1

I wonder how many times a year will the same fantasy keep being re-stated.

Time to move on people. The game is what it is -- it will never be better or changed or updated or improved, internal code-wise.

Lets just keep building the best mod add-ons we possibly can, with in the confines of the code.

I think this thread is just about done.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

many, many years ago, I did