Sign in to follow this  
Chugster

Best F/a-18 Sim manual?

Just wondering if there are any of the 90s/00s F/A-18 sims that have a big manual like the one with Falcon 4.0?

Starting a collection of pc sims and the wonderful manuals/maps/stuff the older sims came with

Oh and does anyone have a failsafe way to run Janes F/A-18 in Win 10? I got the game installed and it starts and gets to the main menu but it crashes when i click fly

Hello!

A fair old F/A-18 sim (more a game) is the F/A-18 Korea/Precision Strike Fighter/Operation Desert Storm series, the manual is big enough but not as complex as Falcon 4.0. https://www.myabandonware.com/search/q/f-18

To run Janes F/A-18 in Win 10 i use PCem https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/downloads.html an emulator that runs win 98 or old windows with lot of resources. The PCem its not easy to set up, but once done works great for many old games.

• Like 1

Hmm, so Janes and Korea are about the same size...cool

Is one of these better than the other or is it a matter of opinion?

Edited by Chugster

4 hours ago, pizolato said:

To run Janes F/A-18 in Win 10 i use PCem https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/downloads.html an emulator that runs win 98 or old windows with lot of resources. The PCem its not easy to set up, but once done works great for many old games.

Ok, thats worth a look, I was thinking about using Virtualbox as well but I dont know how good it is for games

42 minutes ago, Chugster said:

Ok, thats worth a look, I was thinking about using Virtualbox as well but I dont know how good it is for games

I heard that PCem is beter than Virtualbox, and its working ok for me, but I never tried Virtualbox, so I dont have a way to compare...

Janes is more complete, and has better graphics, but I prefer Korea...

9 hours ago, Chugster said:

Virtualbox  IS VERY BAD for games. if a game dont run at Win 10 it will not run on Virtualbox. Dont loose the time use PCEM. dont use v17 its bugged i use v13

As to me i like Interplay FA-18E (simplier) Jane's FA-18 (harder simulation)

Edited by bazillius

20 hours ago, pizolato said:

I heard that PCem is beter than Virtualbox, and its working ok for me, but I never tried Virtualbox, so I dont have a way to compare...

Janes is more complete, and has better graphics, but I prefer Korea...

Can you let me know what hardware settings your emulation uses like processor, RAM, gfx card and OS? I used the settings from a youtube video guide  for WIn 98 and i have no idea if they are right for Janes F/A-18.

Also how easy is it to use a HOTAS with PCEM...can i use my Warthog?

One last question, does PCEM work well with XP, Vista and 7?

Edited by Chugster

8 hours ago, Chugster said:

Can you let me know what hardware settings your emulation uses like processor, RAM, gfx card and OS? I used the settings from a youtube video guide  for WIn 98 and i have no idea if they are right for Janes F/A-18.

Also how easy is it to use a HOTAS with PCEM...can i use my Warthog?

One last question, does PCEM work well with XP, Vista and 7?

Im using the same as bazilius above, it works for me to play Janes. Im also using my old Saitek X52 but I lost some functions using it in Win98, and was not easy to set it up.

As for the Op System I set PCem with Win98SE, working very fine, but  never tried the Win7.

18 hours ago, pizolato said:

Im using the same as bazilius above, it works for me to play Janes. Im also using my old Saitek X52 but I lost some functions using it in Win98, and was not easy to set it up.

As for the Op System I set PCem with Win98SE, working very fine, but  never tried the Win7.

One last question, how do you install video card drivers in the emulation? I found all the roms online but cant see how to access them from within the emulation.

Oh and how did you get PCEM to see your joystick?

I posted these questions on the PCEM forum but no one has answered me yet 

But on the positive side this will work if I can configure it properly...I managed to get Mig Alley to install and run, albeit poorly, I couldnt even get it to install on Win10. And Janes F18 installed fine but wouldnt run but I think that is because i didnt have the gfx drivers and probably set the emulated hardware to low

Edited by Chugster

Ok i just checked the minimum requirements for Janes F18 and it says 266mhz cpu as minimum and 350mhz as recommended, plus it want 16mb of vram and DX7 recommended and I cant work out what combo of mobo, cpu and vid card can match this.

Edited by Chugster

9 minutes ago, Chugster said:

One last question, how do you install video card drivers in the emulation? I found all the roms online but cant see how to access them from within the emulation.

Oh and how did you get PCEM to see your joystick?

I posted these questions on the PCEM forum but no one has answered me yet 

But on the positive side this will work if I can configure it properly...I managed to get Mig Alley to install and run, albeit poorly, I couldnt even get it to install on Win10. And Janes F18 installed fine but wouldnt run but I think that is because i didnt have the gfx drivers and probably set the emulated hardware to low

Just google, for example, "voodoo 3dfx iso" (in the case of voodoo driver) and you will find some drivers in ISO format that you can use in your emulated CD drive, than just follow the install in Win98. If you just find the drivers in .exe you can save them as ISO using any program like "IsoCreator" and use them in your emulated CD drive as well...maybe the hard part is to find a proper driver, in the case of Win98 any S3 based video card will work as a basic driver to start

As for the joystick I selected "CH Flightstick Pro" in joystick config under PCem and in "Joystick 1" "device" I just selected my SAITEK (it was seen automagically by PCem) the pain was to map correctly the buttons inside the emulated Win98..a lot of try and errors...

I know its hard to set PCem correctly, but once done you will have a good time installing and playing old games...lol

OK...thats some stuff to work on...thanks.

Oh and any of you use a separate throttle with pcem or can I only use the flightstick? 

Hmm i dont suppose anyone can burn me an image of their Janes F18 disc? The one i downloaded keeps saying the f18 exe is corrupted after I install.

I have no issue paying money for a proper copy of the game but as I cant seem to find a copy online for under £20 I want to make sure i can run it before i buy a proper copy

This is really frustrating as games from 97 and earlier work fine in Win10 or Dosbox, it just seems to be the 98-01 games that give ballache

ok i found a 3dfx driver but Mig Alley is still a slideshow, got no idea where ive gone wrong here...getting really frustrated now

Is there a way you guys can share your config files and 'hard drives' or doesnt it work like that?

Edited by Chugster

4 hours ago, Chugster said:

ok i found a 3dfx driver but Mig Alley is still a slideshow, got no idea where ive gone wrong here...getting really frustrated now

Is there a way you guys can share your config files and 'hard drives' or doesnt it work like that?

Let me see a way to do this share... do you have a percentage running on the top of the bar..just check if its very close to 100% or a little above...if its about 70% or below you need to tune your sistem config, trying different hardware emulation or chipset config..this was I problem that I had, trying a powerful emulated system that eventually slowed down the whole performance, sometimes minus is more... Its really hard to set it..sad to hear that you re strugling with it

Well its not the end of the world, I have Digital Integration's F/A-18E sim, which has a clickable cockpit and whilst i bought the 'disc only' reissue version to test it, the 'big box' version comes with a chunky manual like the Janes version.

Just annoys me that I can get other Janes sims to work fine, like F-15, Longbow 2 and Fighters Anthology but F18 and USAF just wont work...would have been nice to have all the Janes sims working as its not worth buying the physical game if it wont run.

But if either of you  can upload a copy of your  F18 disc image, PCEM config file and 'hard drive' file to Google Drive I could try it and see if a known working config will sort it

Edited by Chugster