Sign in to follow this  
Silberpfeil

Move Options.ini (and Versions.ini)?

When a unique FE2 or SF2 install is run, new files are generated in the C:/Users/=UserName=/Saved Games/Thirdwire/FirstEagles2 or StrikeFighters2 folder.  Previous installs have then allowed the newly-generated folders named “Controls”, “Missions”, “Objects”, etc., to be moved elsewhere (with some added statements to the Options.ini file showing where they have been moved to), but the generated Options.ini (and Versions.ini in the case of SF2) need to remain at that location.

Can anyone offer some insight on whether or not the Options.ini MUST remain there in order for FE2 or SF2 to work? I've installed a new SSD and am in the process of migrating all (including the former C:/Program Files (x86)/Thirdwire executables) of my FE2 and SF2 installs to the new drive, but the Options.ini and the Versions.ini are resisting the relocation and simply generate new files in their historic location whenever setting up a new install.  I've tried modifying the Options/OptionsFile entry found in the executables .ini folder, but no joy.  Is this a hard-coded command during installation that cannot be modified?  TIA for any replies!

Having had to do that 3-4 years ago with an HD crash, I can tell you can't migrate the exes. The installers have to be run, just like the first time you got them.

OTH, saving the mods folders is a brilliant idea; then you can copy/paste them over the (newely) created mods folders from the (new) installs

IIRC, once the new mods folder are generated, you should (the operative word!!) be able to re-use the original (archived) Options and Version inis. What I did when I had to reinstall, I didn't. I wanted new everythings until I could copy over all the other folders.

• Thanks 1

Per default the games write the options.ini and version.ini to %Userprofile%\Saved Games\Thirdwire\<game exe name>\ (e.g. C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Vietnam\).
By changing the Options/OptionsFile entry in the <game exe name>.ini file you can indeed change the location of the options.ini file:

[Options]
OptionsFile=F:\MyOptionsDir\MyOptions.ini

But you have to make sure that the target folder (in the example above F:\MyOptionsDir) already exists.
However, the version.ini (and I think some auto update stuff) will still be written under ...\Saved Games\...

The %Userprofile%\Saved Games folder is actually one of the 'special folders' in Microsoft Windows. Windows allows you to change the location of the special folders and therefore also of the Saved Games folder: Right click on the folder -> Properties -> Location. After that all games in windows will write it's data to this new location. Unfortunately the SF2 games with the exception of SF2 North Atlantic are buggy in this regard. They will still write to the original location %Userprofile%\Saved Games :sad:.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2021 at 3:16 PM, Silberpfeil said:

When a unique FE2 or SF2 install is run, new files are generated in the C:/Users/=UserName=/Saved Games/Thirdwire/FirstEagles2 or StrikeFighters2 folder.  Previous installs have then allowed the newly-generated folders named “Controls”, “Missions”, “Objects”, etc., to be moved elsewhere (with some added statements to the Options.ini file showing where they have been moved to), but the generated Options.ini (and Versions.ini in the case of SF2) need to remain at that location.

Can anyone offer some insight on whether or not the Options.ini MUST remain there in order for FE2 or SF2 to work? I've installed a new SSD and am in the process of migrating all (including the former C:/Program Files (x86)/Thirdwire executables) of my FE2 and SF2 installs to the new drive, but the Options.ini and the Versions.ini are resisting the relocation and simply generate new files in their historic location whenever setting up a new install.  I've tried modifying the Options/OptionsFile entry found in the executables .ini folder, but no joy.  Is this a hard-coded command during installation that cannot be modified?  TIA for any replies!

When I started getting into SF2 series I had, like many others the same issue. I solved it following MIGBuster tutorial and never had a problem ever since:

Edited by UllyB

Did you read, carefully , MigBuster tutorial ? If you did, it should work with everything that comes to it ;)

"If you didn't find any food in the fridge, search it better;)"

• Haha 1