North American B-45D Tornado - 37th Bomb Squadron, 17th Bombardment Group, United States Air Force, 1952

USAF B-45D TORNADO.01

USAF B-45D TORNADO.03

USAF B-45D TORNADO.02

USAF B-45D TORNADO.04

• Like 10

Damn it! =I= was gonna do that one!!! OTH, aren't you glad I uploaded the template?

---------

now, for the inevitable joke ---

just a bit gassy, eh???

(ducks and runs ............................)

2 minutes ago, Wrench said:

Damn it! =I= was gonna do that one!!! OTH, aren't you glad I uploaded the template?

You still can! I just did a quickie skin using your template and used the 'off the peg' decals from the B-42 Mixmaster.

maybe, maybe not. I'd actually thought about a night intruder version of the "B". With radar AND guns and rockets and bums, it would definately be better then the Invader for a hot war scene in Europe. I even did an experimental "night unders" version of the NMF (think B-29s in Korea), but didn't like it. Literally takes just seconds to redo the serials and buzz number in red for another skin.

Nice!

But why not cut your losses, chaps, and use a more effective design, like that Limey “Canberra” thing?

ABEA94F2-44E8-4C94-9C92-56C5AA5314FE.jpeg

Edited by Mike Dora

cause we didn't have them yet!!! Not even the "A" which is basically the B.2 in USAF paint (and yes, there is one if D/L section I did some years back). They also didn't get internal guns until Martin built the B model. I don't like strafers without guns (too much time in SWPac, eh?)

In truth, I think that's one of the reason the USAF looked that Canberra; replace the Tornado, and the worn out Invaders.

also, i seem to have lost the B template ...fkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfk

(on a side note, anyone ever catch the Cranberry at the end of "The Crawling Eye" movie?? )

Nice!

But why not cut your losses, chaps, and use a more effective British design?imageproxy.php?img=&key=cd046af7ffd2dcee

imageproxy.php?img=&key=cd046af7ffd2dcee

..as happened in real life :)

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

(on a side note, anyone ever catch the Cranberry at the end of "The Crawling Eye" movie?? )

“Cranberry” Wrench? 

That was our alternate name for them. In my time they were better known as “Berrycans”.

BTW, sidenote, the British smirked somewhat when Martin manufactured its B-57s to far tighter tolerance margins than our own Berrycans, for no discernible difference in performance.

Fast forward to the early 2000s’, when BAe’s attempts to attach new Nimrod MR4 CAD/CAM-made wings to 1960s/70s hand-manufactured Nimrod MR2 fuselages ended in tears*. Perhaps the American approach to manufacturing tolerances (choking on my scotch here) may actually have been the right one?

* sooo bloody frustrating, If only they’d spoken to any flight sergeant/chief tech on the Nimrod fleet, they’d have told them how each airframe was subtly different. Personally (as an air mover) I recall how we all knew that a couple of our VC10s were a “bit different” from the rest.

In Nimrod’s case, could have meant that Britain would have retained its extremely efficient MPA capability without the unfortunate 10-year gap until the acquisition - at significant extra cost - of the arguably less-capable P-8 Poseidon. 

End of rant.

PS for Spinners, apologies for wandering off topic. Again. Consequences of being an aviation type for >50 years 😉😉

Edited by Mike Dora
  • Like 1